ESPN: Trae Young is the draft pick all the sneaker companies want

SoonerTraveler

Reaction score
$$$$$$$$

Trae Young is the draft pick all the sneaker companies want
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...018-nba-draft-pick-all-sneaker-companies-want

"There's a magic to certain players. There's an 'it factor' that's hard to quantify, and I believe he has that," said Omar Wilkes, one of the Octagon agents representing Young. "He's able to have that with his combination of passing, shooting, ballhandling and charisma. There's an effortless ease about him when he's on the court."

That ease was easy to spot throughout Young's breakthrough season at Oklahoma. There was the 43-point outburst in Portland versus Oregon -- 30 in the second half -- in front of countless sneaker execs at Nike's PK80 tournament in November.

I'm very happy for TY and I'll certainly be following his NBA career, but I sure wish we had another season with him.

The better Trae does in the nba, the more attractive OU is to other elite talent. So I'll be a huge fan

It is good for him and a little bit good for OU.

The better Trae does in the nba, the more attractive OU is to other elite talent. So I'll be a huge fan

Eh. I don't think that is really true, given how short a time he was in Norman, and how the team did overall.

Heck, even with Blake's NBA success, I don't think it's really helped OU's overall recruiting very much.

Having Trae Young at OU absolutely helped OU. We got a ton of national exposure and kids saw Trae Young highlights nonstop.

And apparently, Trae Young has killed his workouts and has solidified his place in the top half of the lottery.

Something else I wanted to post a thread about, but because the board screwed up I couldn't: Lon Kruger maximizes his superstars.

I thought about this while watching the NBA playoffs this year, and watching Jayson Tatum and Donovan Mitchell in particular. Those guys were stupid good as rookies in the NBA, and they looked significantly better than they did in college. Coach K and Pitino very much held those guys back from the usage they deserved.

Lon doesn't do that. When he's had elite level players, in Buddy and Trae Young, he's unleashed them. While it might have gone a bit too far in Trae Young's case, I'l certainly take it over the alternative. This is a common theme for the Kentucky guys as well. Karl Town's only played like 21 minutes per game and averaged 10 and 6. That has to be a selling point for elite recruits. If you come to Oklahoma, you will not be held back by the system. It's also led me to conclude that these big name coaches have no idea what to do with these elite level recruits.

Something else I wanted to post a thread about, but because the board screwed up I couldn't: Lon Kruger maximizes his superstars.

I thought about this while watching the NBA playoffs this year, and watching Jayson Tatum and Donovan Mitchell in particular. Those guys were stupid good as rookies in the NBA, and they looked significantly better than they did in college. Coach K and Pitino very much held those guys back from the usage they deserved.

Lon doesn't do that. When he's had elite level players, in Buddy and Trae Young, he's unleashed them. While it might have gone a bit too far in Trae Young's case, I'l certainly take it over the alternative. This is a common theme for the Kentucky guys as well. Karl Town's only played like 21 minutes per game and averaged 10 and 6. That has to be a selling point for elite recruits. If you come to Oklahoma, you will not be held back by the system. It's also led me to conclude that these big name coaches have no idea what to do with these elite level recruits.

Yes and no, these schools have more than 1 elite level recruit. It's much easier to unleash buddy or trea when there is no one else on their level on the team. It's a balancing act when you have 4 or 5 five star blue chip recruits

Blake is a great ambassador for OU and it really hasn't helped recruiting... they were both local guys and thats why they came to OU.

OU just isn't that kind of school.

Back