Gotlieb talked some Big 12 hoops tonight on the Animal

Sooner23

Reaction score
Gottlieb was on the Sports Animal tonight and after about 20 minutes of questions about the Thunder and the NBA, they finally slipped in a few minutes on the Big 12.

Of course, Eschbach's first question after the barage of Thunder and NBA questions was to ask Doug "what are you hearing about recruiting" to which Doug talked briefly about and then changed the subject to Big 12 Hoops.

Anyway, Doug said that he was hearing from multiple sources about TMG looking great and that he talked to Capel and he confirmed it. Doug also said Capel told him Willie will be better in this year's system playing the role of the guy who carries the team. Also said Capel told him that Warren was a better leader than they would have expected.

He talked a little bit about Kansas and said that he was told by people he trusted, who knew basketball and had watched KU practice, that Xavier Henry wasn't a superstar type player and is not a one and done type guy.

Gottlieb also doesn't think Texas' Avery Bradley is a one and done player because of his size. He also was saying something about a Kansas State named Curtis Kelly, but by that time I had pulled out of the Wendy's drive-thru and was more interested in devouring my Double Cheeseburger. :)

Please correct me if I heard something wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Good stuff! I like Gottlieb. He's my favorite ESPN guy. He and Bilas.

The only people saying Xavier would be a one and done type player were either his family or people who just looked at the rankings and made assumptions.

That being said Gottlieb is a little off here compared to what Self (through Andy Katz) has said lately. The bottom line is he is a freshman and is learning a lot about how to play the game at the college level.

• Freshman Xavier Henry is ready to take on a major role with top-rated Kansas, according to Self. Henry's play in the last few days at practice has shown that he "gets it," Self said. Henry is expected to be a major scoring option for the Jayhawks behind guard Sherron Collins and forward Cole Aldrich. Henry isn't necessarily hunting his shot, but isn't having an issue finding his role as a player around the ball at all times. Self said guard Tyshawn Taylor, who injured his thumb during the now infamous basketball-football fracas last month, hasn't missed an official practice yet. Taylor averaged 10.8 points for the gold-winning U.S. Under-19 team in New Zealand this summer.

I never thought X Henry was a one and done guy, if people were watching the rankings they would have seen him fall from the #1 spot and continue down the rankings. He has a killer jump shot, but lacks a complete game, that and he will be fighting for playing time with Taylor. Brady's DUI will help him out in playing time. X might have bought into the hype, I don't feel like he got that much better between his jr. and sr. seasons. If he doesn't go to the draft that will help OU's chances with Lamb, as far as the OU/Kan aspect goes.

Henry wasn't going to be one and done anyway. He'll play this year as a compliment to Collins and tAylor and next year he'll be the man and go pro.

I never thought X Henry was a one and done guy, if people were watching the rankings they would have seen him fall from the #1 spot and continue down the rankings. He has a killer jump shot, but lacks a complete game, that and he will be fighting for playing time with Taylor. Brady's DUI will help him out in playing time. X might have bought into the hype, I don't feel like he got that much better between his jr. and sr. seasons. If he doesn't go to the draft that will help OU's chances with Lamb, as far as the OU/Kan aspect goes.

LOL, yeah he really plummeted all the way to #6!! :)

That's good to hear about TMG. I bet it feels good for Capel to finally have a true PG on the roster.

Back