Harrison Barnes' Diary on OU Visit >>> Dime Magazine

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Source

Harrison Barnes is the best high school ballplayer in the country. As the 6-6 wing from Ames, Iowa, navigates through the hectic recruiting process such a title entails, he agreed to chronicle his thoughts for us during each of his five official visits. First up was UNC; now Barnes recaps his trip to Oklahoma from the weekend of Oct. 3. Here’s an excerpt:

Campus was a little dead because of the Oklahoma-Miami football game, but we still found some things to do that kept us entertained.

The next day we got up early and had breakfast. Then we toured the football facilities because the current football facilities that Oklahoma has is what the basketball team will have by the time I’m a freshman. So it was cool to see all of that.

Then we got a chance to meet the football players before they left for the big game. I met Sam Bradford, Coach (Bob) Stoops and a few other guys. I really enjoyed that.

After that we got a chance to play some pickup games, and the guys that I was the most impressed with were Willie Warren, Tommy Mason-Griffin and Keith “Tiny” Gallon. He’s lost a lot of weight. He’s down to 295 now, but that’s good because I think he used to be like 40 pounds heavier. I was also impressed with Tony Crocker; that’s who I was matched up with a lot. He was getting the best of the matchup until I adjusted to the speed. The speed of the college game is so much faster than the high school game.

From there we all had dinner at Coach Capel’s house and watched the Oklahoma-Miami game, which unfortunately Oklahoma lost. Everyone was pretty down about that. Then Willie took Doron and I out to where people like to hang out late at night. That was real cool. We got a little bit of the rock-star treatment, so that was real cool.

You can read Harrison’s entire diary at HighSchoolHoop.com, where he talks about his night on the town in Norman, Okla., and the rest of his weekend.

The next day we got up early and had breakfast. Then we toured the football facilities because the current football facilities that Oklahoma has is what the basketball team will have by the time I’m a freshman. So it was cool to see all of that.

Our basketball facilities are getting a makeover? I hadn't heard about that.

I was also impressed with Tony Crocker; that’s who I was matched up with a lot. He was getting the best of the matchup until I adjusted to the speed. The speed of the college game is so much faster than the high school game.

Tony!

Then we toured the football facilities because the current football facilities that Oklahoma has is what the basketball team will have by the time I’m a freshman. So it was cool to see all of that.

Did I miss something?

747! getting the rock star treatment wonder what that was about! lol

Didn't like that sound of this part...

"Well, I originally planned to go to UCLA this past weekend, but my mother wouldn’t have been able to attend. They wanted me to push it back so she could attend, because at this point in the process they think — as well as I think — that it’s important to have the whole family agree on the process and be comfortable about where I’m going. So we pushed it back to the Halloween weekend."

"Well, I originally planned to go to UCLA this past weekend, but my mother wouldn’t have been able to attend. They wanted me to push it back so she could attend, because at this point in the process they think — as well as I think — that it’s important to have the whole family agree on the process and be comfortable about where I’m going. So we pushed it back to the Halloween weekend."

I don't see anything about that which should concern us.

Why not?
I've heard Capel has the best relationship with his mother and we knew along Harrison would be taking more visits afterwords.

That was real cool. We got a little bit of the rock-star treatment, so that was real cool. It was a social gathering called 747. Willie, who knows everyone there, introduced us around and all of the people had real high remarks for the program, let’s say that. They all were just telling us how we could be a part of history there and things like that.

This was the part I didn't like. You have to be 21 to get into 747, and I think we know that Barnes is not 21.

Wow, thats awesome! Good work, everyone! This seemed like it was a TEAM effort to treat Doron and Harrison to such high standards. Its amazing how much of a positive relationship our Football and Basketball programs have with each other. I can't tell you how happy I am that just about every recruiting visit, involves Bob Stoops or the Football program and shows the two of them and how they compliment each other. It is truely amazing.

It sure sounded like Harrison enjoyed his visit. This and you add to the fact that Capel just went to go see Harrison run in the snow at 6 am at Harrison's HS... I have a good feeling!

On a side note, I think Tony Crocker is going to surprise some people this year! I have started to hear some GREAT reports coming from different events and such.... All I can say is.. Fear the LONG SLEEVES! haha

oustudent1 I've heard that for special groups that you can get into 747. There's no trouble here. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

747 rule for 21 is up to management/ownership. Remember during the day it is all ages, there is no law being broken here.

Well, in the full article it said that they went at night and that they had a late night hanging out, thats the only reason i questioned it. It's no big deal, 747 is where all the sorority girls go so hopefully willie had an entourage of girls showing Harrison a good time.

Back