Has anyone been able to watch our practices?

luckyc1423

Reaction score
This is my second thread about this, and I got severly criticized on the first thread....but we have not improved in my opinion at all on defense...teams just get whatever they want from us.
On offense we have guys growing up and getting use to the speed of the game, but as a team offensively we have not improved in my opinion....I am not sure what capel is doing in practice but it is obviously not working...

we go into most games with the best pg (tmg), the best all around scorer (warren), the best center (gallon), and a good defender (crocker)...and we somehow cannot put a good team on the floor?? Capel has struggled severly this year.....I just hope he can figure it out because if you are going to get the talent you have to be able to coach them or it does not help us out at all

We have looked good on defense for the last month, Nebraska only has 29 points.

We have looked good on defense for the last month, Nebraska only has 29 points.

thats true quick and you make a good point...but how much of that is due to the quality of our opponents the last few weeks? we have played nebraska, i-state, t-tech, and A&M

None of the four listed in my opinion is a good offensive team, so yes it would seem that way....I am waiting to see how we do against a better offensive team...
And I-State in the second half we played terrible defense....we should have blown them out and we couldnt because we kept giving them open looks

I haven't been able to watch practice, but if I had to guess it would consist of a lot of work on Coach Capel's patented "Statue Offense", shooting three's and then probably the guys trying to beat Capel in Horse while listening to Jay-Z music over the speaker system.

thats true quick and you make a good point...but how much of that is due to the quality of our opponents the last few weeks? we have played nebraska, i-state, t-tech, and A&M

None of the four listed in my opinion is a good offensive team, so yes it would seem that way....I am waiting to see how we do against a better offensive team...
And I-State in the second half we played terrible defense....we should have blown them out and we couldnt because we kept giving them open looks

That's a good point too, the effort has been better so I'm going to go with that. The problem is our offense right now, not the defense.

I haven't been able to watch practice, but if I had to guess it would consist of a lot of work on Coach Capel's patented "Statue Offense", shooting three's and then probably the guys trying to beat Capel in Horse while listening to Jay-Z music over the speaker system.

I'm sure you were *****ing about the offense last year too...

I'm sure you were *****ing about the offense last year too...

Unless Capel is going to find a way to have the best offensive player in college basketball on his team every year, using last year as an example doesn't work.

Kind of like Kevin Wilson using 2008 to prove he can put together an offense. He isn't going to have the Heisman winner, and a top 5 draft pick running QB every year.

Unless Capel is going to find a way to have the best offensive player in college basketball on his team every year, using last year as an example doesn't work.

Kind of like Kevin Wilson using 2008 to prove he can put together an offense. He isn't going to have the Heisman winner, and a top 5 draft pick running QB every year.

Right. But he does have 3 mcd's AA on this team...the offensive plays are the same. If the players played to capabilities, you'd be above average at least. I think they just dont care and that has little to do with coaching. You can only do so much to motivate players that don't care.

Right. But he does have 3 mcd's AA on this team...the offensive plays are the same. If the players played to capabilities, you'd be above average at least. I think they just dont care and that has little to do with coaching. You can only do so much to motivate players that don't care.

In my opinion not caring is all to do with coaching...if they dont care then why does capel keep playing them? He has to find a way to reach these guys and make them care. I hope I am not wrong but it feels like capels great abilities from recruiting do not extend to practice.

The problem is our offense right now, not the defense.

This is the core of our problem tonight. We took a total of 42 shots....more than half from 3 point range.

I haven't been in the practice gym in awhile, but here is something different for you.

Unless they have covered it up, the gym architecture creates a diverging and visible line behind the basket from the parallel lines of the floor, rim and backboard. I think it creates a subtle but real optical illusion. I wouldn't have my team practice in that environment.

Last edited:
A large part of coaching is building a TEAM, not just signing talented players.

Another part is recruiting character kids who want to WIN and are not worried about the fast track to the NBA.

I listened to Capel's post game and he says all the right things. But I don't see players competing and doing what it takes to win. There is a difference between trying and competing.

I know this group is young but every top ten team in America is playing freshman and sophomores.

There's nothing that Gallon has ever shown to say he's the best center ever. I mean he does show flashes of being a decent center but then he tries to play guard the rest of the time. I don't see how anyone can say he's ever gone into a game being the best center with how he has actually played.

I haven't been in the practice gym in awhile, but here is something different for you.

Unless they have covered it up, the gym architecture creates a diverging and visible line behind the basket from the parallel lines of the floor, rim and backboard. I think it creates a subtle but real optical illusion. I wouldn't have my team practice in that environment.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, but whatever it is didn't seem to bother earlier teams.

Actually, I think has hurt in the past, but it is certainly hard to prove.

If there is ever an open house, walk to mid court and look back at the basket. The interior roof line of the building runs up at about 20 degrees to the floor and is directly behind the basket.

I'm sure you have noticed or can at the next game, that the exterior roof on the practice gyms is not flat. It is slanted. The inside is not paneled and reflects the same angle. It was an architectural concept. Something someone thought made the building extension look neat.

Our practices never give the same look as actual games. Some of you are insiders, take a look at it.

That's a good point too, the effort has been better so I'm going to go with that. The problem is our offense right now, not the defense.
Not like the defense just allowed ISU to shoot 56% earlier this week.

Back