Has OU ever had a closed scrimmage with another major team?

thebigabd

Reaction score
I saw this morning that Colorado and Utah are playing in a "closed scrimmage" this morning in Utah, and it was the first time I have ever heard of something like that before.

They close it to fans and the media. I am not even sure if a story will be released about it.

Ever heard of this?

Never heard of it either, but I read in the Tulsa World last week that TU was going to have a closed scrimmage with OU. Don't remember when it supposed to happen though.

I am thinking it must be a new rule because I do not recall hearing of this before.

It's a new rule that you can have a closed scrimmage instead of an exhibition game. Alot of schools are only playing 1 exhib this year and 1 closed scrimmage. I think that's why we have only 1 exhib game on the schedule.

We (Illinois-Chicago) had a closed scrimmage with Butler in 2002, well, fall of 2001. But I think it became against the rules after that year. I guess it's okay again. It was really odd to have a scrimmage against a conference foe.

Last edited:
It's a new rule that you can have a closed scrimmage instead of an exhibition game. Alot of schools are only playing 1 exhib this year and 1 closed scrimmage. I think that's why we have only 1 exhib game on the schedule.

Interesting. Thanks jrich. Welcome to the board.

Should be a good test for our guys to go up against Tulsa.

Here are a few more scrimmages from today:

Western Kentucky at Georgia Tech
Arizona State at Texas Tech
Davidson at Texas
Georgetown at George Mason
South Carolina at Wake Forest
Boston University at UMass
Virginia Tech at Charlotte
Tulane at Ole Miss
Penn State at Duquesne
Colorado at Utah

the rule is three or four years old, it's not that new. tons of teams do it. goodman usually has a pretty complete list.

i saw a full list of the scrimmages somewhere last week. i think it's a good idea.

I would really like to see OU engage in playing or scrimaging instate schools. Alot of the D2 and NAIA schools would love to play OU in some fashion and I think it can be benefical to OU as far as it's program appeal. OSU has done a very good job of doing this.

I would really like to see OU engage in playing or scrimaging instate schools. Alot of the D2 and NAIA schools would love to play OU in some fashion and I think it can be benefical to OU as far as it's program appeal. OSU has done a very good job of doing this.

I agree.....

I would love to see OU play TU and ORU in the regular season schedule every year.. But I would also like to see two exhibition games against Rogers State (Claremore) and East Central (Ada), or some combination of teams like that.

K-State played Marquette in a scrimmage the year they had Beasely, and I remember reading he had 30 or 40 points or something.

OSU's playing Central Oklahoma this Saturday, don't know that I remember OSU playing them before.

This has been going on for a few years, more common in the juco and NAIA levels.

K-State played Marquette in a scrimmage the year they had Beasely, and I remember reading he had 30 or 40 points or something.

KSU & Wichita State scrimmaged last year and are again this year.
Personally, I'd rather play the exhibition game.
Get's another game in with the lights on, the fans in the seats and the revenue a flowing.

If you have to give up an exhibition game that the public can attend, I'm against it. There's bound to be exhibition competition available that is as decent as the teams that would be willing to play OU in a closed scrimmage. Since the public in essence financially sustains basketball, it deserve the opportunity to see another game.

I doubt you would have an easy time finding exhibition competition that is as "decent" as this Tulsa team.

I missed it I guess. When was/is the scrimmage w/Tulsa. I know it's closed, but just curious.

Back