How hard are they working

Sooner Cal

Reaction score
I really don’tthink SC should be apologizing for the girls, she should be apologizing for the poor job she and her staff have done.

I don’t get it. How is the recruiting down in numbers and quality. How hard are they working? From the outside, it looks like not much. Wasn’t IJ the only signee in her class? Both signees in the next class transferred and Rich is injured. Only 3 signees last year. A HC and 3 assistants have signed 6 freshman and landed 1 transfer over 3 years. That’s less than 2 per coach over a 3 year period. Frankly, I think I could do better than that by myself.

Winning requires talented players and depth. It’s the coach’s job to make sure they have it.

My other complaint, concerns coaching effort. After games, I get the feeling that whatever they are teaching is being ignored. Either they teach it poorly or the players haven’t bought in.

Then, I think SC tries to teach in games. That’s not the time to do it. But when a player makes a mistake, she pulls her even if she shooting well.

If you haven’t watched the coaching staff during a game, you should do so.

I think SC is at high risk of losing this team. By that I mean the team is going to lose self-confidence, confidence in the staffand interest in the season. Publicly criticizing the team won’t prevent it.

Players aren’t stupid. They know their weaknesses. They understand the lack of depth. They know who is not in shape. They know who the lesser athletes are. They understand the challenge they face. The question is what is the staff doing to give them the best chance to compete.

Everyone knew this was going to be a difficult year. I stuck with the team despite it because I wanted to support the players in this uphill battle. It’s about the players, not the coaches. As you can tell, I’m very disappointed in the coaches.

Last edited:
Yeah good post, I'm starting to believe that more and more are seeing the problems with the program which is the coaching staff. I can not believe that Sherri and the crew has got this far. While many believe that SC can still build a team I don't think she can or will. People some of the play this year is beyond bad. I said a few time that the program will be at a stand still at best, now I think it will fall to a point of no return if nothing is done soon.

I really don’tthink SC should be apologizing for the girls, she should be apologizing for the poor job she and her staff have done.

I don’t get it. How is the recruiting down in numbers and quality. How hard are they working? From the outside, it looks like not much. Wasn’t IJ the only signee in her class? Both signees in the next class transferred and Rich is injured. Only 3 signees last year. A HC and 3 assistants have signed 6 freshman and landed 1 transfer over 3 years. That’s less than 2 per coach over a 3 year period. Frankly, I think I could do better than that by myself.

Winning requires talented players and depth. It’s the coach’s job to make sure they have it.

My other complaint, concerns coaching effort. After games, I get the feeling that whatever they are teaching is being ignored. Either they teach it poorly or the players haven’t bought in.

Then, I think SC tries to teach in games. That’s not the time to do it. But when a player makes a mistake, she pulls her even if she shooting well.

If you haven’t watched the coaching staff during a game, you should do so.

I think SC is at high risk of losing this team. By that I mean the team is going to lose self-confidence, confidence in the staffand interest in the season. Publicly criticizing the team won’t prevent it.

Players aren’t stupid. They know their weaknesses. They understand the lack of depth. They know who is not in shape. They know who the lesser athletes are. They understand the challenge they face. The question is what is the staff doing to give them the best chance to compete.

Everyone knew this was going to be a difficult year. I stuck with the team despite it because I wanted to support the players in this uphill battle. It’s about the players, not the coaches. As you can tell, I’m very disappointed in the coaches.

I think the staff has already lost most of this team.....I see a bunch of players who have lost their fire and act like they would just as soon sit on the bench.

I also think that this staff teaches a lot of set plays.....when they should be teaching how to play the game. I don't know how many times I've watched the team run a play after a time-out that is totally forced and almost always results in a turnover.:facepalm

Well, I can GUARANTEE you that Coale will never, EVER be fired! Not a chance in he**. So we are stuck withe her as the coach until she decides to retire. Will not be forced out.

I suppose tht we shouldnt be surprised that recruiting is not the strong suit of this staff. Sherri has said more than once that she doesn't particularly care for recruiting. If she doesnt, then why should the rest of the staff?

The best thing that could possibly happen for the women''s basketball program is for Sherri be appointed second to the AD in charge of all women's sports. There is where she would really shine.

Love Sc. She’s done so much, but I’m sorry- She can’t blame the player after she started Gilly at point guard. Obviously Gilly works hard, but where does she rank among best big 12 point guards? If the best players were suppose to start on the bench then you would see Coach K or Geno do it. She should probably apologize for herself after that move. I’m becoming fed up with this staff as well- they really go for that break them down early then build them back up approach early in the season. Theses philosophy’s were successful when Coale was winning because homecourt wasn’t a thing in NCAA tournament. That loss was a HUGE blow to any chance of us doing anything late this season because we won’t get homecourt. They continue to approach the non conference games as learning lessons- but these games matter as much if not more than the rest..... incredibly disappointed. Think this team will be good by the end of the year, top 15 or better worthy- Really have seen that potential already- but it won’t matter because we’re not taking out a powerhouse on their floor.

Well, I can GUARANTEE you that Coale will never, EVER be fired! Not a chance in he**. So we are stuck withe her as the coach until she decides to retire. Will not be forced out.

Sad, but true.

I’m not calling for SC to be fired because 1) it won’t happen and 2) not sure that Joe cares that much.

I am calling out the staff in hopes that they realize that the fans are there for the girls, not for the coaches. If it weren’t for the players, I would never support WBB. I coached high school girls in soccer. I enjoy watching these athletes compete and develop into better players. As I said, a coach’s responsibility is to give the players a chance to be successful. That’s a tough challenge when you have just 9 players. I think it was going to require a philosophical change for SC.

Basically, she was going to have to rely on her best 6 or 7 to play most of the game. That was going to require conditioning. That was going to require playing the freshmen over the older players. I haven’t seen either. I believe SC rotates players so often as a way of managing their exhaustion. Athleticism and motor are critical to success. Knowing she lacked this across the board, she should have demanded off season improvement in conditioning.

SC literally didn’tn Have the luxury of doing things the way she always has. She had to change her approach. She didn’t.

The UConn game will show everyone how far behind we are. Scheduling a game like that does zero for a team in the situation we are in.

If OU stays within 40 of UConn, it will only be because Geno and SC are friends.

If OU stays within 40 of UConn, it will only be because Geno and SC are friends.

I think we'll have about 12 points by half time, the thought of ViVi trying to guard Gabby Williams is frighting...:facepalm

While I'm glad Sherri can now tell her kids come to OU and have a chance to beat Uconn is good, but this wasn't the year to start...

I think we'll have about 12 points by half time, the thought of ViVi trying to guard Gabby Williams is frighting...:facepalm

While I'm glad Sherri can now tell her kids come to OU and have a chance to beat Uconn is good, but this wasn't the year to start...

She has lost this team as sad as it is. Never thought I would see the day that I would want a change. We’re not even competitive anymore. We will lose tonight.

I agree sherri will never be fired. But if she really wants to do what's best for the university and the team she will step down after this season and Joe will hire someone young and energetic(Dionnah Jackson, for example) to lead this team back. Need energy and enthusiasm and ability to relate to younger women, not sure SC can do this.

I’m not calling for SC to be fired because 1) it won’t happen and 2) not sure that Joe cares that much.

I am calling out the staff in hopes that they realize that the fans are there for the girls, not for the coaches. If it weren’t for the players, I would never support WBB. I coached high school girls in soccer. I enjoy watching these athletes compete and develop into better players. As I said, a coach’s responsibility is to give the players a chance to be successful. That’s a tough challenge when you have just 9 players. I think it was going to require a philosophical change for SC.

Basically, she was going to have to rely on her best 6 or 7 to play most of the game. That was going to require conditioning. That was going to require playing the freshmen over the older players. I haven’t seen either. I believe SC rotates players so often as a way of managing their exhaustion. Athleticism and motor are critical to success. Knowing she lacked this across the board, she should have demanded off season improvement in conditioning.

SC literally didn’tn Have the luxury of doing things the way she always has. She had to change her approach. She didn’t.

The UConn game will show everyone how far behind we are. Scheduling a game like that does zero for a team in the situation we are in.

I am afraid to see the score of the UCONN game, much less, will not be watching it, or the UT game to follow, or Baylor, or OSU, etc. It's not worth my time anymore. Why should I, who gets home from work at 6pm and has just about 4 precious hours before I go to bed, spend it on watching this sorry excuse for a team? The fact that a four year senior in Manning still travels at least once a game EVERY game proves they are not disciplined and aren't' valuing every ball possession - aka waste of time.

Back