I really like coach going to this 2-3 zone

coolm

Reaction score
I know Houston is tearing it up, but it simplifies things and we can actually progress a little more defensively IMO using this first.

Play it competently, maybe match up a little tighter, then throw a trap in, shift to a 2-1-2 or get a press...and when things start falling apart again go back to it.

A good move IMO....just like it was when Drew did it at the Big-12 tourney.

We have turned into last year's verison of Baylor, dandy.

I completely disagree...Yes, it was a nice change of pace to start the game; however, this team is a perimeter oriented offense, and the 2-3 zone is designed to force a team to take outside shots...It's great when they are cold...Not so good when they can't miss...

The problem is that we're not switching our defenses at all, and the Houston coach is exploiting this...

coach is doing it at the BEGINNING of the season...Drew did it at the end.

huge difference.

Last year's Baylor fans - "We coulda been playing like this all year long? damn"

It's not a stategy, it's a neccessity. The M2M can't be trusted.

I completely disagree...Yes, it was a nice change of pace to start the game; however, this team is a perimeter oriented offense, and the 2-3 zone is designed to force a team to take outside shots...It's great when they are cold...Not so good when they can't miss...

The problem is that we're not switching our defenses at all, and the Houston coach is exploiting this...

it doesn't matter what the 2-3 is for or what the other team is good at ... coach is finding something we can do more competently. You hafta worry about what you do before you try to worry about the other guy.

Based on our play the last 2 games this has been an amazing improvement.

I hate playing zone, it is a good change of pace on defense but good teams will light it up.

I hate playing zone, it is a good change of pace on defense but good teams will light it up.

yes, no one EVER wins playing primarily zone huh?

you guys miss the point entirely.

you havent seen the improvement in our play during this game?

geeeeeeeeez

Ok are you being serious?? If by improvement you mean we led at some portion of this game then yes...Dude they've got 90 points and have outscored us by 30 since the 10 minute mark of the first half...The defense has again been awful, the attitude has again been piss poor...Man, I want to see it, but frankly I've seen no improvement from this team...In fact this one seems worse than the last two...

now I remember why I had so many of you ignored before. you're the type of sports followers who give fans a bad name.

where is this boards' ignore...you're not ruining my mellow.

Really, we give sports fans a bad name?? That's a little dramatic don't you think??

Feel free to ignore me at any time...

Coolm, I enjoy your posts and enjoy your insight on the game. I realize that teaching a young team to play zone is easier than man but why didn't Jeff emphasize zone in the preseason?

The zone should have been abandoned after the 10th 3 ball! Zone is used in college, save Syracuse, to mix things up. Nice change of pace, but IT ISNT WORKING...so we shouldve switched to M2M. This team needs an attitude adjustment more than defensive adjustments...they need to quit worrying about how their shorts look and play hard if nothing else, that's all I want from this team 5 games in...

Back