i think everyone needs to calm down

soonertboy824

Reaction score
yes we have had a bad year. no the team hasnt played well. no capel hasnt seemed to always have a hold on the team(especially willie). yes the attitude/ effort of the team/players has been awful....BUT

i still believe that capel is building something here. based on some of his comments and quotes it appears to me that he understands what it takes to be a winning team. i liked his quote where he saiod that talent was overrated because that shos he knos you have to play together and hard to win and MOST teams that do will beat a talented team that doesnt play together assuming that the prior has a reasonable level of talent. i dont think that we are at the level as a progream yet that we can expect to be top tier every year like our football team. we are going to have rebuilding years unlike kansas, nc, duke, etc and that is to be expected especially given the very poor fan support at the games. this year we are very young and have gone through some trials as most teams do. we have 4 freshman that i expect as the year goes on will be getting significant minutes. that does not bode well for the rest of this season, BUT it does mean that most likely we will be much improved next season(assuming gallon comes back). for the rest of this year i hope that we play our 4 freshmen big minutes and in big situations to get them ready for next season. i am not giving up on this season yet as i think we will make the postseason. i dont know if that will be the tourney or the nit but i believe that we will put together a body of ork that will be deserving of postseason play. by the time the big 12 tourney comes around, assuming we are playing hard and together, then i think we will be be really good and we will also be kicking ourselves for playing so poorly over the first month and a half because it could cost us.

looking to next year imo we need to sign 2 legit big guys. i mean like 6'9 6'10 guys. we also need to get 2 combo forwards in the terrence jones mold(hopefully tj himself) of these 4 pf/c 2 need to be juco in my opinion so we dont suffer from the freshman curse that we have had this year.

i trust capel and his judgement on what to do with willie. if he thinks that suspending him for four or five game, bringing him off the bench, or whatever i would have faith in his decision. i think he needs to send a clear message to the team that he will not tolerate no effort attitudes from anyone not even "the best player on the team."

looking at next year i think our roster will be fine to make a run to be a top 15 or so team and anything can happen in the tourney.

thoughts?

yes the attitude/ effort of the team/players has been awful....BUT

To me there is never a BUT to follow that statement.
No excuse EVER to have bad attitude/effort. None.

To me there is never a BUT to follow that statement.
No excuse EVER to have bad attitude/effort. None.

I do not believe s/he made any excuses for poor effort or attitude. Which I think has been way, way, way overstated with this team anyway. But that is neither here nor there.

I do not believe s/he made any excuses for poor effort or attitude. Which I think has been way, way, way overstated with this team anyway. But that is neither here nor there.

he/she makes a very good point

I think every true OU fan is upset with our performance so far, but personally, I say give Jeff Capel a chance to see if he can turn it around come conference play. He and the team have all my support, but it is puzzling...

Back