I think we might suprise some people this year.

Mr.B!!!

Reaction score
I'm biased, but I keep going back to some of these previews and the things that are being said and I'm starting to think that we have a chance to be even better this season than last season and possibly sneak into the Final Four. My reasons are as follows:

1. Star Power. In 99.9% of the games we play, we are going to have the most talented player on the court in Willie Warren. He came in as a Fr. and looked like the best player on the court when we played KU and UT. Kid has done nothing but improve his game since then and has an opportunity to be the NEXT consensus POY at Oklahoma. Just like Blake, him being on our team gives us a chance in every game and opens up opportunities for other guys.

2. Conference RPI. While I am not ready to just concede the conference to KU and UT, a third place finish in the B12 would possibly be good enough to garner a #2 seed in the tournament and certainly a #3 seed. If you play to seed, then you have made it to the Elite Eight and honestly, I'm not sure that I see a UNC out there this season at this point. Being battle tested in a tough conference could be the impetous to a Villanova type run in the NCAA .

3. Highly Touted Freshmen. Hmmm, just like last year we have a returning star, but instead of one highly thought of freshman McDAA, we now have two, both at positions of need. When I start to think of the Tiny Gallon and TMG that we will be seing in February and March, I start to get really, really upbeat about our chances to make a run. The progress that Tiny has made physically shows me that he has bought into whatever Coach is selling and is putting the effort in...I see no reason to think that he couldn't average 15/10 consistently in March. TMG is certainly that "pure point guard" that Capel's system is said to require and would like to think that he could be a 13/5 guy by March.

4. Talent. Let's face facts, much of the public feels like OU was really the Blake Griffin show the last two seasons and now that he is gone, OU is sunk. I certainly can appreciate that view point, but while Blake was getting the spotlight, OU was laying a foundation of talented players. A quick look at "star" rankings of our projected starters can show you that:

Projected Starters:

WW*****
TMG****
TC****
TG*****
RW****

UT and KU are good, but based on sheer "talent", OU matches up with anybody in the country with that starting five. I'll be curious to see the leadership roles that Willie, Tony and Ryan take on.

I mentioned Nova above; I cold see us pulling off a run like that.

I'm biased, but I keep going back to some of these previews and the things that are being said and I'm starting to think that we have a chance to be even better this season than last season and possibly sneak into the Final Four. My reasons are as follows:

1. Star Power. In 99.9% of the games we play, we are going to have the most talented player on the court in Willie Warren. He came in as a Fr. and looked like the best player on the court when we played KU and UT. Kid has done nothing but improve his game since then and has an opportunity to be the NEXT consensus POY at Oklahoma. Just like Blake, him being on our team gives us a chance in every game and opens up opportunities for other guys.

2. Conference RPI. While I am not ready to just concede the conference to KU and UT, a third place finish in the B12 would possibly be good enough to garner a #2 seed in the tournament and certainly a #3 seed. If you play to seed, then you have made it to the Elite Eight and honestly, I'm not sure that I see a UNC out there this season at this point. Being battle tested in a tough conference could be the impetous to a Villanova type run in the NCAA .

3. Highly Touted Freshmen. Hmmm, just like last year we have a returning star, but instead of one highly thought of freshman McDAA, we now have two, both at positions of need. When I start to think of the Tiny Gallon and TMG that we will be seing in February and March, I start to get really, really upbeat about our chances to make a run. The progress that Tiny has made physically shows me that he has bought into whatever Coach is selling and is putting the effort in...I see no reason to think that he couldn't average 15/10 consistently in March. TMG is certainly that "pure point guard" that Capel's system is said to require and would like to think that he could be a 13/5 guy by March.

4. Talent. Let's face facts, much of the public feels like OU was really the Blake Griffin show the last two seasons and now that he is gone, OU is sunk. I certainly can appreciate that view point, but while Blake was getting the spotlight, OU was laying a foundation of talented players. A quick look at "star" rankings of our projected starters can show you that:

Projected Starters:

WW*****
TMG****
TC****
TG*****
RW****

UT and KU are good, but based on sheer "talent", OU matches up with anybody in the country with that starting five. I'll be curious to see the leadership roles that Willie, Tony and Ryan take on.

I mentioned Nova above; I cold see us pulling off a run like that.

Extremely well put Mr B! I couldn't agree more! Some people will probably disagree, but I think this team is more talented than last years. Or well, at least the talent is more evenly distributed. You can hardly replace a Blake Griffin. Tiny will ease that loss tho.

I actually think you are understating OU's talent.

Willie Warren *****, McD AA
TMG ****, McD AA
Tiny Gallon, ****, McD AA
Tony Crocker, ****, Top 100
Ryan Wright, ****, Top 50
Ray Willis, ****, Top 100
Stephen Pledger ****, Top 100
Fitzgerald ****, Top 100 (I think he was much higher than Top 100)
Orlando Allen, Juco Preseasn AA (did not play that year)
Cade Davis, Second best player in state of Oklahoma and proven d-1 player
kid for OKC top 150 player

That is the most talented roster based on high school rankings that OU has ever had (to my knowledge and I feel real comfortable with that statement). That is a KU, UNC type lineup on paper. Losing Blake Griffin is clearly a big loss but OU has a lot of talent.

I think this team is going to surprise a lot of people. I think the talent is definitely there but also all the right pieces. Guys really aren't going to have to play out of position like in years past. On paper, I really like this team. With a lot of young guys the amount of time it takes to gel and create chemistry is going to be key.

I actually think you are understating OU's talent.

Willie Warren *****, McD AA
TMG ****, McD AA
Tiny Gallon, ****, McD AA
Tony Crocker, ****, Top 100
Ryan Wright, ****, Top 50
Ray Willis, ****, Top 100
Stephen Pledger ****, Top 100
Fitzgerald ****, Top 100 (I think he was much higher than Top 100)
Orlando Allen, Juco Preseasn AA (did not play that year)
Cade Davis, Second best player in state of Oklahoma and proven d-1 player
kid for OKC top 150 player

That is the most talented roster based on high school rankings that OU has ever had (to my knowledge and I feel real comfortable with that statement). That is a KU, UNC type lineup on paper. Losing Blake Griffin is clearly a big loss but OU has a lot of talent.

I didn't really want to get too far into the bench; and to be fair, there are some guys who have not lived up to the hype. That being said, there are a bunch of "players" on this team, not just bodies. The absolutely amazing thing is that except for TC, Capel has accumulated these dudes in three years on the job...no real "scrubs".

I didn't really want to get too far into the bench; and to be fair, there are some guys who have not lived up to the hype. That being said, there are a bunch of "players" on this team, not just bodies. The absolutely amazing thing is that except for TC, Capel has accumulated these dudes in three years on the job...no real "scrubs".

I agree and while it seems pretty clear that Crocker was gonna be a Sooner even if Bobby Knight was coach, after losing James, Reynolds and Mayfield that year I count Crocker as one of Capel's recruits too. But let's not count Keith Clark and Bobby Maze...

As far as OU surprising people, I think they are pretty much the consensus pick for third in the conference, right? I know there are a few exceptions, but isn't that where most people have it? I am assuming that what you mean by surprising people is their national profile and chances in the tournament, right? I could totally see that, but as of right now its hard for me to see them moving ahead of Kansas or Texas in the conference. I can think of a ton of scenarios where it could happen, but with what we know know I just don't see it yet.

While OU may not overcome KU and UT during the regular season, if the team can play them tough they will grow from playing top 5 teams; meaning, that once tournament play comes around, OU's young, talented team won't be so young anymore.

I agree and while it seems pretty clear that Crocker was gonna be a Sooner even if Bobby Knight was coach, after losing James, Reynolds and Mayfield that year I count Crocker as one of Capel's recruits too. But let's not count Keith Clark and Bobby Maze...

As far as OU surprising people, I think they are pretty much the consensus pick for third in the conference, right? I know there are a few exceptions, but isn't that where most people have it? I am assuming that what you mean by surprising people is their national profile and chances in the tournament, right? I could totally see that, but as of right now its hard for me to see them moving ahead of Kansas or Texas in the conference. I can think of a ton of scenarios where it could happen, but with what we know know I just don't see it yet.

I think that OU is the default pick for people in the B12 and viewed as quite a bit below 1a. and 1b.; personally I think we are closer to UT and KU than that and also believe that by the time the NCAA Tournament rolls around we will be a salty team in March.

I guess by "suprise" I mean that just about any ranking is going to have us in the preseason Top 25, but probably 20-25 and not the fringe Top 10 that I think we belong in. Without a "dominant" team like what we saw with Carolina (although I could see KU being close to that dominant if Henry plays to form) I think we have a shot to match or even exceed what we did last year.

Who has not lived up to the hype that has gotten a chance to play? Should Capel had played Wright over Blake, Longar or Taylor? I just don't see that the minutes were available.

I think you can say the same thing about Ray Willis. Should Willie be on the bench so Ray could shine? Certainly you don't put veterans like Crocker and AJ on the bench for Ray. I actually thought Ray looked promising when he got in the games but he needs to play within himself and not force things. I loved that he wanted to make things happen on offense.

ou def. has the 3rd bestest talent in the phillips 66 dr. pepper big 12 conference presented by whataburger.

I'd peg KSU @ 5 or so. Sys?

Back