If OU wants to Dance, they have to beat the Zags

playmakr

Reaction score
There just won't be enough wins in the Big 12.

Agree or disagree?

Disagree. But they need to find a way to defend or they won't be in the NIT.

We have no quality wins, we need this one or we will probably have to win 10 plus a couple in the BIg 12 tournament. IMO it has almost come down to a one game season, and the guys need to play like its a tournament game.

If there aren't enough wins in big 12 for them, by chance, they won't beat Zags on the road either.

Disagree. I believe the "one game for the season" comes into play at the end of the year (i.e. a bubble team in their conference tournament). For example, OU, a definite bubble team in 2004, needed to beat Texas (#11 in the country at the time) in order to get a statement win to get in the tournament. They did not. They then did not get into the tournament.

If OU wins, this will be the marquee win we have all been looking for. Arizona and Arkansas are decent wins, but this year they will be seen just as that, decent.

If OU loses, then we will be on the outside looking in going into conference play. We will have to go above .500 and win a few tourney games.

If they lose this game, it WILL not cost them a tourney bid, but it will certainly hurt. The only good thing going for OU is that the conference is very difficult this year so they can pick up some ground by winning key games (Texas at home, KSU, etc.,).

I also think that this team can play the young card for about another two weeks, then there are no more excuses, IMO.

:tinypower

Last edited:
I kinda agree..

i mean, if they dont win this one they dont have any significant victories in non-conference so IMO they would have to win at least 10 games in conference....

One game does not a season make.
Well that's cute for cereal boxes or laffy taffy wrappers, but OU is no where near the NCAA Tournament going into conference play and they are in the toughest league in the country. Their best win so far is Arizona, who themselves won't sniff the NIT.

They can still make the Tournament without beating the Zags, but I doubt they will if they don't. I would never count them out until it's over, however.

Well that's cute for cereal boxes or laffy taffy wrappers, but OU is no where near the NCAA Tournament going into conference play and they are in the toughest league in the country. Their best win so far is Arizona, who themselves won't sniff the NIT.

They can still make the Tournament without beating the Zags, but I doubt they will if they don't. I would never count them out until it's over, however.

If they don't beat the Zags they OU doesn't have a single quality non-conference win. This means they would have to have some really big wins in the Big 12 which is highly unlikely if they can't beat the Zags.

making the tournament will be the difference b/ween 7-9 and 9-7 in conference....i suppose you could argue that at 9-7 or maybe (MAYBE) 8-8 a win over GU might get the Sooners off the bubble.

but, i think beating a OSU or ATM or Tech on the road would be at least as big a W in a month and in march.

I disagree. OU could lose and still make the dance, however it makes it much harder. The big 12 is going to be brutal and every win now makes it a little easier down the road.

It's a must win for momentum as much as for the W/L senario. Losing to Zaga and then maybe losing to Baylor would be the end.

Absolutely agree. 8-8 in the league will be very difficult the way OU is playing right now and with how good the Big 12 is top to bottom. If they can get 8-9 conference wins and win at least 1 in the Big 12 tourney they have a shot to make it as one of the last at large teams, but without beating Gonzaga, I don't think their non con resume is good enough.

Just depends on how many conference games we win....8 or 9, need the Gonzaga game; 10+ we are probably still getting a bid.

After watching Tech last night, I feel a lot better about them being overrated.

Not a must win at all.

If the team loses, and manages to go 9-7 in conference, with a strong finish, and a good tournament showing, I "think" we're in.

Not a must win at all.

If the team loses, and manages to go 9-7 in conference, with a strong finish, and a good tournament showing, I "think" we're in.

Agreed. A loss to the Zags does not eliminate OU from the dance, and a win provides no assurance that the Sooners will make the field. I still believe the light will come on for this team at some point this season. Let's just hope the Sooners will find the switch before it's too late.

With ZERO quality wins in the non-conference, OU puts itself in a Kansas State type situation of a few years ago. K-State entered the Big 12 season in 2006-2007 with no quality wins, 4 non-con losses, and some blowout defeats.

However, they bounced back and won 10 games in the Big 12, and even won a game in the Big 12 tournament and played KU tough in the second game. It was all for not, as they went to the NIT. The NCAA Tournament decided you can't beat cupcakes in the non-conference and beat all the lower-end Big 12 teams and make the dance (their one good win was a ranked UT team)... They entered the NIT at 22-11, and a 10-6 conference record.

5 conference losses, no quality non-con wins, etc will make it very difficult for OU to get to the NCAA Tournament. The Big 12 is different now too, I am not sure I see 10 wins on the Big 12 schedule. I was hoping for a few good non-con wins and 8-8 or 9-7, but I am not sure.

Back