If OU wants to Dance, they have to beat the Zags

With ZERO quality wins in the non-conference, OU puts itself in a Kansas State type situation of a few years ago. K-State entered the Big 12 season in 2006-2007 with no quality wins, 4 non-con losses, and some blowout defeats.

However, they bounced back and won 10 games in the Big 12, and even won a game in the Big 12 tournament and played KU tough in the second game. It was all for not, as they went to the NIT. The NCAA Tournament decided you can't beat cupcakes in the non-conference and beat all the lower-end Big 12 teams and make the dance (their one good win was a ranked UT team)... They entered the NIT at 22-11, and a 10-6 conference record.

5 conference losses, no quality non-con wins, etc will make it very difficult for OU to get to the NCAA Tournament. The Big 12 is different now too, I am not sure I see 10 wins on the Big 12 schedule. I was hoping for a few good non-con wins and 8-8 or 9-7, but I am not sure.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. K State is a great example, although if OU can win 10 games in the conference that will mean more than it did in 2007 due to the strength of the league. That being said, I don't think it would be enough without beating Gonzaga or winning the Big 12 tourney (or at least getting to the final).

With ZERO quality wins in the non-conference, OU puts itself in a Kansas State type situation of a few years ago. K-State entered the Big 12 season in 2006-2007 with no quality wins, 4 non-con losses, and some blowout defeats.

However, they bounced back and won 10 games in the Big 12, and even won a game in the Big 12 tournament and played KU tough in the second game. It was all for not, as they went to the NIT. The NCAA Tournament decided you can't beat cupcakes in the non-conference and beat all the lower-end Big 12 teams and make the dance (their one good win was a ranked UT team)... They entered the NIT at 22-11, and a 10-6 conference record.

5 conference losses, no quality non-con wins, etc will make it very difficult for OU to get to the NCAA Tournament. The Big 12 is different now too, I am not sure I see 10 wins on the Big 12 schedule. I was hoping for a few good non-con wins and 8-8 or 9-7, but I am not sure.

This is a very different year. That year the conference was veiwed as weak. I guarantee you no 10 win team will be left out this year.

I agree with the op. OU needs to win this or we won't be dancing. The only other alternative would be to win the Big 12 tournament.

If this team turns it around defensively and wins 10-11 games in conference they'll make the tourney no matter what. If this team doesn't play good defense and wins this game they may not make the NIT.

Back