In two years, KU athletic director tallied a big bill flying on private pla

Sid

Banned
Reaction score
By J. BRADY McCOLLOUGH, MIKE McGRAW and BLAIR KERKHOFF
The Kansas City Star

In 2009, when Perkins earned a bonus-laden $4.4 million at KU, he charged the athletic department at least $107,000 for 22 private flights, records show. First-class commercial flights would have cost a fraction of that.

“In my world, time is very important,” Perkins told The Star. “I consider my time very valuable.

In some cases, Perkins flew when he could have driven in three hours or less — to such cities as Wichita, Hutchinson, Kan., and Lincoln, Neb.

He also flew to such places as New York, Rhode Island and Palm Springs, Calif., usually on the university’s eight-seat Cessna Citation Bravo jet. When he couldn’t get the university’s plane, Perkins chartered one or used planes owned by boosters.

Once, a booster’s plane flew Perkins back from a family visit to New Orleans, where his daughter and son-in-law work for Tulane University.

On many of his trips, Perkins hired car services to get around. He spent about $7,000 on ground transportation in the 22-month period studied by The Star, including $1,827 during two days in New York.

Closer to home, Perkins earlier this year took KU’s jet the 139 miles to Pittsburg, Kan., to attend the funeral of former K-State quarterback Dylan Meier, whose younger brother, Kerry, had just finished his football career at KU.

K-State football coach Bill Snyder also flew in for the funeral, taking a university plane from Manhattan.

Both needed to get from the airport to the funeral. Perkins charged $425 for a car service. Snyder rented a car for $44.

Big Easy confusion

In October 2008, Perkins claimed an $8,800 expense for a trip to New Orleans, indicating on his travel voucher that his purpose was to meet with Rick Dickson, Tulane’s athletic director.

The $8,800 was for flying on a private plane, a King Air turboprop owned by Tim Fritzel, a major KU donor.

When The Star asked Perkins about the trip Wednesday, he said he couldn’t remember the meeting’s topic, and he seemed surprised at the cost, asking, “How did I spend $8,000?”

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/14/2150280/in-two-years-ku-athletic-director.html

Looks like Nico Toscani (steven seagal) didn't solve the problem of individuals being above the law after all. This story is like an ice cube floating on top of the pacific ocean, only under the water the ice cube is the tip an iceberg that would sink Noah's ark. Of course, playing the part of the iceberg is the people who run big money collegiate sports, and Noah's ark is suckers like you and me who want to love college sports. For the sake of my fanhood i hope they never show me the wizard of oz.

Lew's been worth every penny. His work with KU's budget and facilities has been amazing.

I think he'll be about like 4 of the other 5 starters in the North. The only QB that stands out in the North is Gabbert for MU. Everyone else is fighting for second place.

Thats a good decision... I think he will be pretty solid.
What do you think?

I don't know. He has a lot to prove. He's definitely got talent but how will he handle the pressure. I think KU won't be very good this year but with a soft schedule end up with 6 wins.
I really like what Gill, Long and Torbush are doing though.
Great positive energy with the team. Recruiting very well also.

Lew's been worth every penny. His work with KU's budget and facilities has been amazing.

That's never an excuse for him to be completely financially irresponsible, especially in such a horrific economy. The guy's in a position of authority...set a decent example for crying out loud. I hope I never read about Joe C being this irresponsible.

I love flying on private pla.

If not, then I at least try to fly first cla.

eh, whatever. If Joe C was flying around on a private jet I wouldn't care, he does his job well. The only reason this is an issue (or the fact that some reporter investigated) is because of the recent ticket/internal issues. If someone did an audit of every major athletic program, you would find many similar cases.

Cheno, when is the last time you checked up on KU's Softball, or Women's soccer complex???? They are the biggest POS on the campus, Lew never knew how to share money with programs other than Men's Basketball! I applaud people, like Joe C, who share money and create Grade A facilities for all sports, not just the most popular ones on campus! :clap

eh, whatever. If Joe C was flying around on a private jet I wouldn't care, he does his job well. The only reason this is an issue (or the fact that some reporter investigated) is because of the recent ticket/internal issues. If someone did an audit of every major athletic program, you would find many similar cases.

We'll just agree to disagree. College costs are so far out of hand, the last thing I want to read about is irresponsible spending by a university president or AD. I remember a few years back when Rutgers had their one great football season...perhaps the same year Kansas had their one great football season. The university forked over ridiculous bonuses for the entire football coaching staff...then laid off dozens of employees because they couldn't afford to pay them. These types of mentalities are why there are so many economic issues in this country.

With as much as they pay him, he could've done all that travel on his own dime and barely noticed a difference.

I find it pretty funny that a guy so influential when it comes to fundraising has no idea there's so much fraud and scandal going on right under his nose.

Cheno, when is the last time you checked up on KU's Softball, or Women's soccer complex???? They are the biggest POS on the campus, Lew never knew how to share money with programs other than Men's Basketball! I applaud people, like Joe C, who share money and create Grade A facilities for all sports, not just the most popular ones on campus! :clap

Yeah, Lew hasn't upgrade the KU football facility at all. You really should do some research before you comment.

We'll just agree to disagree. College costs are so far out of hand, the last thing I want to read about is irresponsible spending by a university president or AD. I remember a few years back when Rutgers had their one great football season...perhaps the same year Kansas had their one great football season. The university forked over ridiculous bonuses for the entire football coaching staff...then laid off dozens of employees because they couldn't afford to pay them. These types of mentalities are why there are so many economic issues in this country.

Doesn't Bob Stoops make $4.3 million dollars a year? He use to have it written in his contract he got 35 hours a year of private jet use.
It's big business. Football at OU makes a ton more money than that because of the job Bob Stoops does.
I don't have a problem with Lew Perkins having $100,000 in travel expenses last year. The job he's done with fundraising and increasing KU's athletic budget is remarkable. He's more than doubled the athletic budget in his time.

Yeah, Lew hasn't upgrade the KU football facility at all. You really should do some research before you comment.

Does talking to your friends that attend KU/actually attending sporting events at such places count as research Cheno??? If so, I probably have more research than you do for KU's lesser sports. And football is a major sporting event at KU, people actually attend those, I was talking about sports that aren't included in the first 10 pages of the KC Star. Oh, I do know what I'm talking about Cheno, I, when not attending OU, live 15 miles from that horrid city and actually passed up a pretty good Academic Scholarship to KU. Pretty sure that gives me the rights/knowledge to discuss Kansas sports...

Back