First Post: Thoughts on the Team

Boom Soon

Reaction score
Hello fellow Sooner bball fans. New poster here. Been following the board for a little while and wanted to join on the discussion. I love basketball, especially the mighty Sooners. I don't get to watch many Sooner games as I'm very busy for work, but I try to keep up as much as I can. Alot of what I've gathered from the season has been from this board. I don't take it super seriously as I understand most of these dudes playing are just kids. I'm personally more concerned with if they can graduate college and be productive members of society than what type of basketball players they are. Nevertheless, I still enjoy the sport! Just keep that in mind.

Thoughts on the season:

Porter Moser hire:

Wasn't super excited at first. I recently graduated from a school in the Missouri Valley Conference so I've followed that conference for the past few years. Good conference but the competition isn't near the Big 12 imo. I've always thought Porter Moser was a good coach for Loyola, and it's hard to argue he wasn't. With that being said I felt like he was a gamble. If he can elevate his coaching to the Big 12 level then Oklahoma is close to contending for a Big 12 title. His energy and passion is what you need for that (something Lon maybe was lacking the last few years). BUT, on the flip side. If he can't, then it could be a very rough few years. The Big 12 is just brutal, and you need good coaching and athletes to consistently compete. We've seen what can happen if you don't. That's not knocking on the guy or on the hire. It's just the reality of Big 12 basketball. With all that being said, he obviously deserves more time. I think next year will be a much better indication of his coaching ability in the Big 12. He'll have a full offseason, players he knows, time to reflect, etc. I'm leaning towards he's going to be better.

The current roster:
Just not quite enough talent. I think most Sooner fans can see that. Guys play hard, but seems like they're one guy away. Maybe the Johnson kid could have been that guy but we'll never know.

I'm definitely disappointed in the Groves brothers. But they were kinda a gamble too. I think Tanner would be awesome off the bench, but I don't think the team is in a great spot when he is your starting center and relying on him to defend the really good big men. Not in the Big 12 anywho. I don't think, from what I've seen, Jacob is a Big 12 caliber player. I could be wrong so don't be afraid to correct me on that.

I think that's what it boils down to. OU basketball is starting payers who would be off the bench for the top teams in the league (KU, Texas, Tech, Baylor). And we fans want Oklahoma to be in the top of the league.

I know some people have complained that Moser wasn't able to produce the way Tech, and Texas were able to. But for some reason it seems like their basketball program is in better shape than Oklahoma's. Seems like their talent level is higher. Not sure why.

Postseason:
I will consider this season a success if they can finish with 16-17 wins. Unfortunately, I don't think this team is a tournament team. I definitely had high hopes after the Iowa State game, but the reality of the Big 12 has set in. I think they can beat Iowa State in Ames and West Virginia, and Oklahoma State at home. I'll be fine with that. Again, next year will be more telling of the future of Oklahoma basketball for me.

Next Year:
I think they will be better. Not entirely sure how but I think they will be. I think the incoming freshman will add to the talent level and Cortes and Noland will be much improved. Hill can be a solid player, and so can Tanner (when in the right role).I think Mawein COULD be a difference maker. The key is finding a starting level caliber big man imo. A guy athletic enough to compete with big men from the Big 12. He doesn't have to be a world breaker. I would be okay if Harkless, Gibson, Mason, Jacob and Issanza move on. Free up some scholarships for maybe better guys. Hopefully there isn't a shock transfer that really shakes everything up.

Ultimately, I'm just ready for OU basketball to make that next step. Go from a consistent middle of the pack Big 12 team to top three or four. I don't think that's too much to ask for. Hopefully Moser and his guys can get it done, but we'll have to see.

Thank you for reading and feel free to correct me on anything you think I'm wrong on! I look forward to discussing basketball on the board!

Good first post! Welcome aboard!

Nothing there I disagree with! You make great points with a rational perspective. Hope you post more!

Curious as to who WILL comeback next season...
I feel like Jalen Hill, Noland, Cortes, and the Grove Bros are pretty much locks to come back.
I would expect Issanza, Gibson, and Harkless to move on. Issanza in search of playing time and the other 2 might just be ready to move on from college.
Mason and Mawein? Not sure. Kinda hope they stay, as I'm not sure we will be able to find that many portal guys who are ready made better.
Hopefully we can lock down a portal big, and maybe a scoring guard. Harkless drives me nuts at times with turnovers and bad decisions, but his defense and toughness are nice. Think he would be a better player if he didn't have to be such a scorer for us. Wouldn't be mad if he came back.

Mason….

I just wonder if moser brought him to OU since he committed to him at LM. Not sure if he’s B12/SEC good or AAC good. Hard to tell with limited time.

A guy I coached with here in KC thought Mason was a pretty good player and OU got a decent player. Who knows if the level is where it needs to be..

Curious as to who WILL comeback next season...
I feel like Jalen Hill, Noland, Cortes, and the Grove Bros are pretty much locks to come back.
I would expect Issanza, Gibson, and Harkless to move on. Issanza in search of playing time and the other 2 might just be ready to move on from college.
Mason and Mawein? Not sure. Kinda hope they stay, as I'm not sure we will be able to find that many portal guys who are ready made better.
Hopefully we can lock down a portal big, and maybe a scoring guard. Harkless drives me nuts at times with turnovers and bad decisions, but his defense and toughness are nice. Think he would be a better player if he didn't have to be such a scorer for us. Wouldn't be mad if he came back.

I sure hope Noland and Cortes are locks. The transfer portal is scary. It would be cool if they stuck with it for four years under Moser's system. See what they could become.

Welcome BoomSoon!

Here's what I hope:
--3 more schollies open up, sign an athletic/physical/skilled starter quality big from portal, a large stretch 4 who can rebound, shoot, create from HS... and an older combo guard 6-3/4 range who can score, and handle. So, next year:

PG--Uzan competes with new portal combo guy, Bijan, and Mason maybe
2--Oweh and Noland battle, with combo guy there also
3--Schroeder and Hill battle(Schroeder backing up probably)
4--New portal 4 and Hill maybe, and an improved Mawein possibly
5--New portal guy battle it out with Tanner.

Make it happen Moser!

Welcome to the board, Boom Soon! You make a number of good points, most I agree with. Great first post!

Upon further review… Issanza, Mawein, and Mason. Probably should look elsewhere. If you can’t get PT on a team this bad, you might be at the wrong level.

Upon further review… Issanza, Mawein, and Mason. Probably should look elsewhere. If you can’t get PT on a team this bad, you might be at the wrong level.

I don’t understand why Mawein hasn’t played recently. He did a nice job when Chag was hurt, but Moser hasn’t given him a chance since.

Yeah, Idk. Really disappointed in this teams late season collapse. We just aren’t very talented. I don’t even know what to think of Noland. Doesn’t seem real quick or athletic. Hopefully he makes a big jump next season or he may be passed over by the frosh. Really need a couple portal guys before next year or it may be hard to make a big jump.

Back