Kelvin will be bringing the number one team in the country to Norman

WichitaSooner

Reaction score
Pretty amazing that it’ll work out that way. I remember when they lost in Ames in mid January, Twitter immediately was full of “welcome to the Big 12” posts. Of course they weren’t going to dominate the league as easily as they did the American. Kelvin said as much in October. But there was no way they were going to struggle to stay near the top of the standings, and if they win the conference by multiple games in their first season, that is damn impressive. I’d love to hand them a loss next week, unlikely as that may be. But regardless, it’s amazing to think that after all these years, when he faces his old school for the first time, he will do so as the coach of top ranked team in the country.

He's one of the best HCs in the country. PM could learn a million things from him.. let's just go win it anyway

like having a billionare booster .. and getting big 12 starters to transfer in and start ...
Yep because it’s not like he has ever taken a team to the FF without a single NBA player or high school All America on the roster. He clearly only wins because elite talent falls in his lap.

If Moser were running your account, he couldn’t do a better job himself. You certainly deserve credit for towing the company line.

Kelvin is a damn good coach. Despite how it ended here. I wish him well. IF ONLY we had billionaire boosters for the bball program like we do for football.

I don’t give us a very good chance but am very pleased that we at least have the opportunity. I suspect this will be an 0-2 week but winning either would be yet another reason to celebrate.

Yep because it’s not like he has ever taken a team to the FF without a single NBA player or high school All America on the roster. He clearly only wins because elite talent falls in his lap.

If Moser were running your account, he couldn’t do a better job himself. You certainly deserve credit for towing the company line.

TBC, I am not saying Moser is a better coach than KS but this is a softball lol.

Except my comment has nothing to do with Moser whatsoever. Boulder suggested that Kelvin is a great coach because he has some built-in advantage. Kelvin has made a career of winning without blue chip talent.
not what i suggested ... just somethings PM could learn from him

When Kelvin was at OU, he was a top-15 head coach. His time in the NBA, he learned how to become a better offensive coach - something he said himself. Now he is a top 3 - top 5 head coach. It will be a significant upset if OU can pull this off. What I miss most about Kelvin was that he knew how to win in the Conference Tournament. We won 19 conference tournament games in 12 seasons...and losing has been contagious for us fans in that tournament ever since. If we can at least beat Cincinnati and win a conference tournament game, then 21 wins should get us a single-digit seed in the Dance...but first things first. Let's pull off the upset against Houston! .

No one likes Kelvin more than me but there is no need for this cheap shot at Moser - especially after a great win.
This has nothing to do with the post you responded to, but just my opinion overall:

Many of the people now praising Kelvin, wanted him to run out of town during his time here. The board was the same after a loss, no offense, boring basketball, etc.... I'm sure it's kind of the norm as the football boards can't go 6 games without the fire-the-coach discussions. Sooner fans always want the backup QB and a new coach. It's been that way forever, and it gets irritating for fans who just want to support the players and coaches. Of course, there will always be times when almost everyone believes a change is needed, but what happens now almost feels like certain posters want the teams to lose, so their point is proven.

This has nothing to do with the post you responded to, but just my opinion overall:

Many of the people now praising Kelvin, wanted him to run out of town during his time here. The board was the same after a loss, no offense, boring basketball, etc.... I'm sure it's kind of the norm as the football boards can't go 6 games without the fire-the-coach discussions. Sooner fans always want the backup QB and a new coach. It's been that way forever, and it gets irritating for fans who just want to support the players and coaches. Of course, there will always be times when almost everyone believes a change is needed, but what happens now almost feels like certain posters want the teams to lose, so their point is proven.
It's a vocal minority of Sooner fans, and every fan base has fans like them.

Yep, I'm amused by how the opinion of Kelvin has changed through the years. Almost revisionist history. It seems as if people want to remember the two years of super success and think that was his entire tenure- not the same coach that got bounced the first weekend 8 of 11 trips.

Many of the same people who now love his discipline and hard-nosed attitude used to complain about his arrogance and lack of freedom to players. Some of those who wish our teams had his defense and rebounding tenacity used to whine about the offense, scoring lapses, and the bubble drill.

As for me, I liked Kelvin and was gut-punched the day he left for Indiana. He was cool to me and my family at events and tip-in dinners, but I also understood the complaints. Heart, hustle, and hardwood weren't always a compliment when used by fans and on the old message boards. Granted, I also think time and time in the NBA improved Kelvin as a coach and also mellowed him, even just a bit. And I think he will dominate the new Big XII along with KU.

It will be awesome to see Kelvin, Kellen, Quannas, and Hollis back in the LNC again. But it won't be their first time. IIRC, Kelvin did coach in one of the alumni games LK used to do, and Hollis and Kellen played. Their appearance in front of 11K is long overdue as, honestly, past time for a couple of them to be in the rafters too, but that is another subject for another day. And as much as I liked Kelvin, his success and time at OU won't mean anything Saturday night as despite my affection for them and their return, you better believe I'll be screaming against them.

I'll be rooting for the high-energy guy in the extra short-sleeved polos and 1/4 zip OU pullovers, not the one that used to wear denim. All season and post season.

Yep, I don’t recall people wanting to run him out of town. He got us on probation for such a dumb reason, he could’ve used a personal phone instead of the university phone, but was too dumb or arrogant not to. Joe C. defended him. Then left us for Indiana and and that is when some fans got mad at him. I was on Kelvin’s Crew, and was pretty disappointed.

Back