Thoughts from Game

Boom Soon

Reaction score
Had the opportunity to go to the game today. Second one of the season. There’s a lot already said but I‘d give my quick thoughts from it.

1. Again, the crowd was great for OU standards. The students really showed out. You can tell Moser’s hard work on that front. Too bad the team can’t win big games at home.

2. The first half was fun, but OU really needed to be up by 12 or 14 at half. And OU did have a chance to do that. Now, that doesn’t mean OU wins but I do believe the outcome is different if OU had a sizable lead going into the second half.

3. Subs- Missing Soares hurt the team. OU may not win with him but because OU’s starting guards continue to struggle that spark off the bench is so critical. They didn’t get that today. Dart played fine but they needed more bench production.

4. The offense is wretched. And EVERBODY can see it. I heard so many comments today about it from the people sitting around me. Moser refuses to change it and it’s just flabbergasting. Now, I understand OU had some decent looks in the second half and just missed but the offense has no identity, no flow, nothing. And I’m starting to think that’s why Oweh, Uzan and JM are struggling so much. How could anyone thrive in that offense? Who would want to play in it? It doesn’t play to the strengths of the players.

5. I think Uzan should be the full time point guard. JM just turns the ball over too much. But hey he did hit some shots.

6. I mentioned earlier that a fan sitting next to me said Cooper was academically ineligible. Now that may not be true but maybe there is truth to him being in the doghouse for something. Idk, it’s not worth speculating.

7. Soares was in a boot. So that’s not good. I doubt he’s done for the season but may be out a while?

Something is obviously off with the team. What we’ve seen the last three games is NOT NCAA tournament basketball. OU is not playing like a team that wants to go dancing. Maybe it’s Moser maybe it’s not idk. I’ll tell you what though. If Moser really wants out of Norman he’s not making a good case for himself to any school. If OU completely collapses and misses the tournament then who would hire him?

But this “bye” week might do them some good. Adjustments need to be made.

It’s been such a weird season. If someone would have told me, last November, that OU would be top 10 in early January I would have laughed. But if someone would have told me, in early January, that OU would be unranked and tanking in late February I would have laughed too.

The offensive system isn’t an issue. Having guards that can’t shoot and can’t hit layups is the issue. We get open looks. I guardnplay is just horrendous

The offensive system isn’t an issue. Having guards that can’t shoot and can’t hit layups is the issue. We get open looks. I guardnplay is just horrendous
Gibson, Harkless, Goldwire. Sherfield, Noland, Cortes. Los, Oweh, JM. Three seasons, three sets of guards. The results stay the same. What’s the constant? The coach and the system. But sure, it’s not the system. Never Moser’s fault.

When the pace is pushed, the team does sooo much better. Seemed in conference play he went back to old ways.

Gibson, Harkless, Goldwire. Sherfield, Noland, Cortes. Los, Oweh, JM. Three seasons, three sets of guards. The results stay the same. What’s the constant? The coach and the system. But sure, it’s not the system. Never Moser’s fault.
Coach and system deserve blame. But they do get open shots in the system they run.

Had the opportunity to go to the game today. Second one of the season. There’s a lot already said but I‘d give my quick thoughts from it.

1. Again, the crowd was great for OU standards. The students really showed out. You can tell Moser’s hard work on that front. Too bad the team can’t win big games at home.

2. The first half was fun, but OU really needed to be up by 12 or 14 at half. And OU did have a chance to do that. Now, that doesn’t mean OU wins but I do believe the outcome is different if OU had a sizable lead going into the second half.

3. Subs- Missing Soares hurt the team. OU may not win with him but because OU’s starting guards continue to struggle that spark off the bench is so critical. They didn’t get that today. Dart played fine but they needed more bench production.

4. The offense is wretched. And EVERBODY can see it. I heard so many comments today about it from the people sitting around me. Moser refuses to change it and it’s just flabbergasting. Now, I understand OU had some decent looks in the second half and just missed but the offense has no identity, no flow, nothing. And I’m starting to think that’s why Oweh, Uzan and JM are struggling so much. How could anyone thrive in that offense? Who would want to play in it? It doesn’t play to the strengths of the players.

5. I think Uzan should be the full time point guard. JM just turns the ball over too much. But hey he did hit some shots.

6. I mentioned earlier that a fan sitting next to me said Cooper was academically ineligible. Now that may not be true but maybe there is truth to him being in the doghouse for something. Idk, it’s not worth speculating.

7. Soares was in a boot. So that’s not good. I doubt he’s done for the season but may be out a while?

Something is obviously off with the team. What we’ve seen the last three games is NOT NCAA tournament basketball. OU is not playing like a team that wants to go dancing. Maybe it’s Moser maybe it’s not idk. I’ll tell you what though. If Moser really wants out of Norman he’s not making a good case for himself to any school. If OU completely collapses and misses the tournament then who would hire him?

It’s been such a weird season. If someone would have told me, last November, that OU would be top 10 in early January I would have laughed. But if someone would have told me, in early January, that OU would be unranked and tanking in late February I would have laughed too.
Cooper played a few games ago so it’s a lie. He doesn’t trust Cooper. I get that. But you thrust Norweather and 13? Hmmm….

The guy just can’t coach, has a bad coaching philosophy, and if werhinest with ourselves, he lucked up at Loyola.

Cooper played a few games ago so it’s a lie. He doesn’t trust Cooper. I get that. But you thrust Norweather and 13? Hmmm….

The guy just can’t coach, has a bad coaching philosophy, and if werhinest with ourselves, he lucked up at Loyola.
To be fair guys that can’t coach don’t make it to the Final Four lol. But he belongs at a midmajor where he can make a run every five or six years when the starts align. Not at OU where making the tournament every year should be the standard.

Last edited:
When the pace is pushed, the team does sooo much better. Seemed in conference play he went back to old ways.
Agreed. He recruited to play faster and won’t do it. Think about this: He’s running the same style of offense this year that he did with the Groves Bros lol. He’s got guys that can run and play above the rim and the offense is literally nothing but walking, standing and high ball screens.

Care to bring facts to the table?

First half yesterday they had a lot of open threes and even layups. Missed many of the layups. Second half I would definitely say less, but it worked in first half.
I would say the open looks in the first half had more to do with Kansas not playing well more so than OU’s offense. The fact that KU played so poorly in the first half and OU was only up by five shows how inept the offense was. Once Kansas came to life in the second half on defense it was game over for OU.

I would say the open looks in the first half had more to do with Kansas not playing well more so than OU’s offense. The fact that KU played so poorly in the first half and OU was only up by five shows how inept the offense was. Once Kansas came to life in the second half on defense it was game over for OU.
Lol what

Or maybe there was a decent game plan and OU made shots so that game plan looked good. KU made adjustments in 2nd half. As said by many on this board self is a great coach at making adjustments.

His offense does not work with Godwin and Oweh being completely worthless on offense (in fairness most offenses won’t work when 40% of the starters can’t score). The high post requires a good big man like Krutwig (or even Tanner Groves). Godwin is a solid back up but nothing more. Ku adjusted and left oweh and Godwin open the entire 2nd half. The other 3 on the court couldn’t get open.

He should have adjusted his offense to something else when he realized Godwin can’t shoot and Hugley didn’t have the endurance to be the primary big. Moser is clearly very stubborn. That’s my by biggest critique.

His offense does not work with Godwin and Oweh being completely worthless on offense (in fairness most offenses won’t work when 40% of the starters can’t score). The high post requires a good big man like Krutwig (or even Tanner Groves). Godwin is a solid back up but nothing more. Ku adjusted and left oweh and Godwin open the entire 2nd half. The other 3 on the court couldn’t get open.

He should have adjusted his offense to something else when he realized Godwin can’t shoot and Hugley didn’t have the endurance to be the primary big. Moser is clearly very stubborn. That’s my by biggest critique.
And why even recruit Hugley if you truly plan to play fast? It’s one of the reasons I was skeptical he really intended to do that.

And why even recruit Hugley if you truly plan to play fast? It’s one of the reasons I was skeptical he really intended to do that.
We are playing 2.5 possessions per game faster. Not “fast,” but significantly faster. In fact, it’s his fastest since his first two years coaching. So this probably is “fast” for him.

I don’t really care whether we play fast or slow if we win. Most teams look better on the quick possessions because transition scores are fast and effective. This team’s problem is that the offense can’t generate good looks late often enough.

We are playing 2.5 possessions per game faster. Not “fast,” but significantly faster. In fact, it’s his fastest since his first two years coaching. So this probably is “fast” for him.

I don’t really care whether we play fast or slow if we win. Most teams look better on the quick possessions because transition scores are fast and effective. This team’s problem is that the offense can’t generate good looks late often enough.
I’d love to see conference only numbers. But even if they are slightly up, that’s not nearly enough when you consider the change in personnel. Moore, Soares, and JM replacing guys like the Groves’ brothers and CJ and Sherfield should result in a night and day shift, especially when the coach spent the offseason running his mouth about how they were going to play this season.

I totally agree about JM as the PG. He made some horrible decisions in the second half, which led to run-out dunks and layups for KU. Uzan isn't a great PG yet, but he seems to take care of the ball a little better. I would also add Uzan can be a much better on-ball defender with his athleticism and size, if he would put just a little more effort into defending. Soares and Moore defend like their hair is on fire, and if he did that, he could be a lockdown defender at the point of attack.... I don't think we have a high IQ guard on this team, at least not one receiving minutes.

Back