Take on the First Game/Team

cowboysooner

Reaction score
First, we are more talented, probably overall but for sure on the 5-13 roster spots. Whether that means more wins will depend on lots of things but mostly on the quality of the opponents. Our schedule is absurdly difficult relative to teams outside the Big 12.

Second, clearly going to be a better defensive team when it is all said and done. Should handle the ball better and improve in the turnover department from last year from what I saw last night, mostly due to older kids on the roster at the wing and addition of JM and Maks.

Third, like the look of Luke on offensive, but he won't be able to defend on the perimeter. He could play the 4 on offense but will need to play defensively in the paint to be competitive. Need a bigger sample size to have much of an opinion on Hugley.

Fourth, Cooper looks like a good developmental piece. Similar to Oweh last year.

Fifth, moore looks like he could really be a good player and an upgrade, which I didn't expect just reading about him. He will do fine at the 4. What an athlete.

Sixth, the returning players looked improved. Looks like they put the time in during the offseason.

Overall, good first game. Problems might be figuring out who to play, keeping everyone happy (chemistry), and establishing an offensive identity. Guess we will see. I like Moser so hopefully we put it together this year.

Good points. Does anyone know about Cole? Lingering injury?

The one issue I think this roster has is the lack of rim protection. Otherwise, looked good

There was a lot of good but rebounding and post defense or rim protection is a concern. I’m optimistic but I’m gonna need to see how they do against better competition.

It's early and the competition wasn't good, but I like our collection of guards and wings. It looks like we have more guys who can shoot. McCollum and Uzan give us a more athletic guard combo than we've had in a while. Oweh appears to have really put in the work in the offseason!

Love what I saw 1-4! Very worried about the 5 spot.

Loved Oweh's activity. Impressive and I thought at times he was the best player on the floor. The Cousins comp is interesting - if he could get the jump shot Cousins developed during his career - wow.

Los did look "flat", but I am not worried about him.

I liked the new guys and Norweather's side-step 3 was pure - that looks like a weapon Porter can use.

I like the press OU was using and wonder if it will be used against even better opponents. I am very encouraged.

I'd love to see them consider going "small" with Moore at the 5, Soares at the 4, Oweh, McCollom and Los.....uber athletic team there.

i don't see the cousins comparison for oweh. Oweh seems quite a bit bigger and a different game

To me, Oweh looked like the best player on the floor on Monday. I'm not saying he's our best player, but he affected the game in so many areas for us it was hard not to notice him. Points, steals, rebounds. More apparently, he's removed a lot of the hitch out of his shot from last year. That is an absolute positive sign for us.

We did not get to see as much from Darthard and Soares offensively as I'd hoped, but Darthard in particular is going to be an absolute menace on the defensive end. If we run lineups with him, Oweh, and Moore on the floor simultaneously it could become very hard for other teams to score on us.

Los looked really rusty. Not overly concerned about him right now, but one thing I hoped he would improve upon this year was his assertiveness. He did get passive at times last year and that needs to change this season. McCollum was exactly who I thought he'd be on O and a nice surprise with some of the plays he made on D.

Biggest area of concern for me was on the offensive boards. We gave up 14 I believe. Central Michigan did have some really athletic frontcourt players, but we need to be better in that area. For this team to get where it wants to go, Hugely needs to start over Godwin. I don't mind Godwin getting minutes, but he is not a P5 caliber starter and barely a P5 caliber role player.

One thing I really liked was that the team was REALLY good when we were effective on D. A lot of transition buckets and a lot more shooters. That should mean a much more fun style of play and more importantly a much more consistent style of play. Teams that rely on their defense don't normally have as many down games over the course of a season.

All in all, this was a promising performance that hopefully we can build on moving forward. The Iowa game can't get here soon enough. BOOMER!!

To me, Oweh looked like the best player on the floor on Monday. I'm not saying he's our best player, but he affected the game in so many areas for us it was hard not to notice him. Points, steals, rebounds. More apparently, he's removed a lot of the hitch out of his shot from last year. That is an absolute positive sign for us.

We did not get to see as much from Darthard and Soares offensively as I'd hoped, but Darthard in particular is going to be an absolute menace on the defensive end. If we run lineups with him, Oweh, and Moore on the floor simultaneously it could become very hard for other teams to score on us.

Los looked really rusty. Not overly concerned about him right now, but one thing I hoped he would improve upon this year was his assertiveness. He did get passive at times last year and that needs to change this season. McCollum was exactly who I thought he'd be on O and a nice surprise with some of the plays he made on D.

Biggest area of concern for me was on the offensive boards. We gave up 14 I believe. Central Michigan did have some really athletic frontcourt players, but we need to be better in that area. For this team to get where it wants to go, Hugely needs to start over Godwin. I don't mind Godwin getting minutes, but he is not a P5 caliber starter and barely a P5 caliber role player.

One thing I really liked was that the team was REALLY good when we were effective on D. A lot of transition buckets and a lot more shooters. That should mean a much more fun style of play and more importantly a much more consistent style of play. Teams that rely on their defense don't normally have as many down games over the course of a season.

All in all, this was a promising performance that hopefully we can build on moving forward. The Iowa game can't get here soon enough. BOOMER!!

good stuff .... agree on all counts

Back