Interesting news on Josh Smith >>> Seattletimes.com

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Could you imagine a Tiny/Josh Smith combo in the paint next season? That would really be something!

--------------------

Some interesting news about the recruitment of Kentwood center Josh Smith breaking this morning (If you've been reading OUHoops then you would have known about this for over a week now....) as Dave "Softy'' Mahler at KJR-AM is reporting that Oklahoma is now a contender for his services along with UCLA and UW.

Mahler said that Sooners coach Jeff Capel is apparently due in for a visit this weekend. There are reports that UCLA coach Ben Howland was in town for a visit in the last few days and that UW coach Lorenzo Romar will also make a visit this weekend.

With the early signing day now just two months it's beginning to hit a critical time in the recruitment for Smith, generally regarded as not only the top prospect in the state for the Class of 2010 but among the best big men in the nation (here's his profile from Scout.com).

It had long been regarded as a two-team race for Smith between UW and UCLA, and he is reported to be visiting UCLA the weekend of Oct. 3-4. The apparent addition of Oklahoma to the mix obviously muddies the waters a bit and means there may not be quite as quick a resolution to his situation as was once thought.

Source Link

And the plot thickens. I love the work that our coaching staff is putting in on recruiting these top notch guys. Let's hope we can reap the benefits of our coach staff's hard work. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

And the plot thickens. I love the work that our coaching staff is putting in on recruiting these top notch guys. Let's hope we can reap the benefits of our coach staff's hard work. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

We just have to beat the Blake Griffin card to death on this one, and show Josh the opportunity he will have to step in and start from day one at the center position.

Very Interesting. I have to admit that Josh is not one of my favorite prospects. He has desire issues and sometimes appears to be lazy. He is very skilled however and I would be glad to have him as a Sooner.

Very Interesting. I have to admit that Josh is not one of my favorite prospects. He has desire issues and sometimes appears to be lazy. He is very skilled however and I would be glad to have him as a Sooner.

He had surgery this summer to correct for his sleep apnea and is losing a lot of weight. Don't forget that Tiny had desire issues and appeared lazy. Kids can change.

Absolutely. You have to be concerned about these types of issues. However, you also have to evaluate the kid on an individual basis instead of going off of what someone else says. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

He reminds me an awful lot of Eddy Curry, the kid from Chicago who went straight from high school to the pros and was drafted by the Bulls. He is a heck of a player, whatever his rumored issues may be, I don't think you can judge too many high school kids based on those types of things. Wherever he winds up, getting into a big time program should help him learn good habits and how to prepare.

I hope OU can land the kid. According to Henzo, the story has some legs so I'm looking forward to getting some good news soon.

I hope Capel gets to the next step and gets an official visit.......soon.

If coach Capel can pull this kid away from the coast and beat both Howland and Romar in the process it would be freaking amazing.

It would. He would have to still get a hybrid 4 or a more athletic post to counter a couple of big post that we have already on the roster.

Plus, you never know if Tiny might have a big freshman year and go pro. Then a front line of Andrew Fitzgerald and Josh Smith might not be too shabby once Fitz gets a year under his belt.

Plus, you never know if Tiny might have a big freshman year and go pro. Then a front line of Andrew Fitzgerald and Josh Smith might not be too shabby once Fitz gets a year under his belt.

You better be ready for some Halfcourt basketball if you see that combo. I would love to have all three guys, but with the way this conference has been going with 4 guard sets and hybrid 4s, I would not like the matchup situations that we would see. Example, UT at OSU last year.

You better be ready for some Halfcourt basketball if you see that combo. I would love to have all three guys, but with the way this conference has been going with 4 guard sets and hybrid 4s, I would not like the matchup situations that we would see. Example, UT at OSU last year.

I disagree with that a little bit. I think it is harder to match up with a big, physical frontcourt over 40 minutes than it is to match up with a team that plays 4 guards. Just look at how tough A&M was to play last season. If they had any kind of steady guard play they would have been legit.

I get what you're saying, but there are always trade offs in mismatches. Its up to coaches to win them.

I disagree with that a little bit. I think it is harder to match up with a big, physical frontcourt over 40 minutes than it is to match up with a team that plays 4 guards. Just look at how tough A&M was to play last season. If they had any kind of steady guard play they would have been legit.

I get what you're saying, but there are always trade offs in mismatches. Its up to coaches to win them.

You're correct to a degree. I will bring one example. Dex Pittman. Dex Pittman is a good player who gave matchup fits to alot of teams. At the same time, Dex struggled against alot of teams as well. Marshall Moses basically gave dex all he could handle. Josh Smith is closer to Dex Pittman, Tiny, and O Allen, than Elonu and Davis.

Back