Interesting Stat from Toby R

TINY

Reaction score
On the Toby Rowland show today he mentioned Ou is 1-12 in last 13 games officiated by Doug Sermons. Every one of our home losses plus TCU were officiated by Sermon, I believe.

Toby said he overheard the refs review the goaltend, and Doug did everything he could to not overturn it. Reviewed it over and over, when the other 2 officials said it was an obvious clean block and needed to be overturned.

Toby seems to think there is an anti-ou bias. Is Sermons the new Ed Hightower?

I will take Hollywood Higgins over him any day of the week.

Last edited:
Toby said he overheard the refs review the goaltend, and Doug did everything he could to not overturn it. Reviewed it over and over, when the other 2 officials said it was an obvious clean block and needed to be overturned.

that is pretty much fireable ..

Last edited:
That’s definitely only conference games. He has officiated quite a few non conference wins (including the ncaa tournament and the Alabama game last year). That’s not to say I have a good feeling when I see him at the arena.

I doubt it’s Big 12 driven bias though. Sure he’s hired to do games by the Big 12, but these guys work all over the country. It’s not quite as insular as football.

I think it’s obvious what the Big12 office has been doing to OU for the last 2 years in football and basketball. We should sue them for the $50 million exit fee and use that money to build an arena and buy the best basketball roster possible.

On the Toby Rowland show today he mentioned Ou is 1-12 in last 13 games officiated by Doug Sermons. Every one of our home losses plus TCU were officiated by Sermon, I believe.

I will take Hollywood Higgins over him any day of the week
Toby gets paid to tote the company line. He's not going to throw this out there just to do it.

If he's calling out bias in officiating, there's probably something there.

Can't wait to get out of this conference.

TRow definitely likes to mention when Sermons is officiating. He never criticizes him in a mean way; he kind of sarcastically mentions his tendencies. I don’t know if there is anything to it or not. We certainly didn’t lose on Saturday due to officiating. I don’t think we get our share of calls at home as other Big 12 teams but at least some of that is we don’t have as much of a home court advantage and we also lack the big rim protector.

TRow definitely likes to mention when Sermons is officiating. He never criticizes him in a mean way; he kind of sarcastically mentions his tendencies. I don’t know if there is anything to it or not. We certainly didn’t lose on Saturday due to officiating. I don’t think we get our share of calls at home as other Big 12 teams but at least some of that is we don’t have as much of a home court advantage and we also lack the big rim protector.
The chart that one poster posted yesterday shows we are second in the league in offensive free throw rate in conference games. Considering that we don’t have a true post presence, that’s pretty remarkable. Anyone who thinks we are the victims of a conspiracy (I’m not saying you think this, but others do) is seeing things with their heart, not their head. The other thing I always think about is how easy a schedule the conference gave us in football. We didn’t play the defending conference champ and a couple other teams that were expected to be good in the preseason. If the league really wanted to stick it to us, the easiest way would have been to do it with the schedule. I’ll take Toby at his word as to the review the other day, but it’s worth remembering that he is paid by OU and isn’t exactly an impartial observer. If you listen to most team’s radio crews, they all dispute calls that go against them, and very rarely acknowledge when they get the benefit of a bad call.

I think every fan base dislikes Sirmon. I’d bet most of them think he is out to get their team. He’s one of those guys that evokes strong emotions because of his personality.

The chart that one poster posted yesterday shows we are second in the league in offensive free throw rate in conference games. Considering that we don’t have a true post presence, that’s pretty remarkable. Anyone who thinks we are the victims of a conspiracy (I’m not saying you think this, but others do) is seeing things with their heart, not their head. The other thing I always think about is how easy a schedule the conference gave us in football. We didn’t play the defending conference champ and a couple other teams that were expected to be good in the preseason. If the league really wanted to stick it to us, the easiest way would have been to do it with the schedule. I’ll take Toby at his word as to the review the other day, but it’s worth remembering that he is paid by OU and isn’t exactly an impartial observer. If you listen to most team’s radio crews, they all dispute calls that go against them, and very rarely acknowledge when they get the benefit of a bad call.

I think every fan base dislikes Sirmon. I’d bet most of them think he is out to get their team. He’s one of those guys that evokes strong emotions because of his personality.
This is a basketball board but lol if the league wanted to **** OU and/or Texas in FB, they would not stack the schedule (something extremely explicit and easily tracked), they would call disproportionate numbers of subjective LOS, defensive secondary, & personal foul calls in close games.

Which is exactly what they did haha, the worst example isn’t even an OU game, it was 2022 UT vs Oklahoma State.

This is a basketball board but lol if the league wanted to **** OU and/or Texas in FB, they would not stack the schedule (something extremely explicit and easily tracked), they would call disproportionate numbers of subjective LOS, defensive secondary, & personal foul calls in close games.

Which is exactly what they did haha, the worst example isn’t even an OU game, it was 2022 UT vs Oklahoma State.
Damn refs. They also made us fumble and not play our best running backs half the season. They are playing next level chess.

Damn refs. They also made us fumble and not play our best running backs half the season. They are playing next level chess.
Yeah, calling penalties against the sideline multiple times when that never happened to anyone else all season or ever, tackling stoops in the EZ with the ball on the way, numerous holds by our opponents not called…

It would be easy to chart the difference in treatment from the previous 20 years vs the last two to show how it changed and was overly biased against us.

Now, you’re just going out of your way to be obtuse and argumentative. The games are being manipulated and it’s very easy to do, much easier in bball than football. You can say we’re not very good at certain things AND the Big12 is screwing us. Both are true.

Toby gets paid to tote the company line. He's not going to throw this out there just to do it.

If he's calling out bias in officiating, there's probably something there.

Can't wait to get out of this conference.
I'll add that if he's throwing it out there, he's been told it's okay and been encouraged to throw it out there. It's not an accident.

I will take Hollywood Higgins over him any day of the week.
To compound Sirmons terrible officiating, much like Hightower, pretty boy Higgins, and Ted Valentine, he thinks HE is the show, or at least part of the show. He has to control the game, stop the game, and make demonstrative calls to display that he is part of the entertainment. IMO, good officials are those you don't notice or remember their names. But with Sirmons, you remember him because he was part of the game when he shouldn't have been.

We've had our share of bad ones that did many of our games- Hightower, Higgins, Jim Burr, Mark Whitehad, and Tom O'Neill come to mind- but I doubt our record was as bad in games any of those officiated as it has been with Sirmons blowing the whistle.

Years ago, while Billy was coaching, there we had a similar situation with an official. Someone else might remember who it was. Eventually, I saw a small article in the DOK or Tulsa World that said that official would no longer be assigned to our games and he wasn't.

That was probably Stanley Reynolds. Also, don't forget Jim "Lightbulb Head" Bain, who tried to never let Norm Stewart lose.
I remember Reynolds....he had an "Ed Hightower" level of incompetence. But Easy Ed thought he was the star of the show on most nights (not the teams).

Back