Interesting take by Gottlieb

SKSooner

Reaction score
Driving to Norman today for the smackdown of the Aggies, I was listening to the Sports Animal, and they had Doug Gottlieb on for a bit and asked him what was wrong with OU's basketball team. Gottlieb said he'd watched the tape of the OU/VCU game and was very surprised at how bad we looked. Anyway, he said that he thinks we will get better when we begin adjusting the attitudes of our new guys who have come off the AAU circuit. Gottlieb said that in this day in age, kids who play AAU ball don't care about losing because they play so many games. And he said AAU ball has become about showing up your opponent and less about playing team basketball.

I'm pretty sure we are all aware nobody plays defense in AAU ball, but I had not thought about the fact they play so many games that losing becomes not-such-a-big-deal for the players. But it makes sense if you think about it.

Quite frankly, I think AAU basketball is detrimental to player development. Of course, it's great in the sense that it gives a lot of kids exposure, but I don't think anybody gets better by playing AAU basketball. It's a real shame, but AAU is here to stay, and I doubt the summer schedules of these athletes change either.

Capel will change the attitudes of these guys, but I don't think we should expect him to get it done overnight. For years, Tiny Gallon, Mason-Griffin, Willie Warren have done whatever the heck they darned well pleased on the basketball court. They probably answered to nobody but themselves. Playing a team game is completely different. It's going to take a little bit of time for these guys to adjust to team basketball, but it will happen. When it does, we'll be a much better team.

Gottlieb was right on. At least he seems to have TMG and Tiny nailed as far as their lack of effort at times and general disinterest in playing all these games in Alaska.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Cant argue with that logic. I think the way most kids however learn how to play D1 is they come onto a team and get a reality check through strong leaders who force kids to learn how to play real team bball. Right now we dont have anybody who can fit that role.

Cant argue with that logic. I think the way most kids however learn how to play D1 is they come onto a team and get a reality check through strong leaders who force kids to learn how to play real team bball. Right now we dont have anybody who can fit that role.

It's one thing to hear it from a coach, it is another to hear/see it from a respected teammate.

that is interesting.

thx for bringing that up.

:bgriff624_jpg_xs: and:cade both played for Athletes First (AAU)

Don't most of these student-athletes compete on some type of AAU team?

I'm not sure I want to place the majority of the blame on AAU, b/c there are alot of good, highly ranked AAU kids playing around the country, and at OU, that aren't having this problem.

I'm not sure I want to place the majority of the blame on AAU, b/c there are alot of good, highly ranked AAU kids playing around the country, and at OU, that aren't having this problem.

I'm not a fan of AAU basketball. Never have been. I think our problems are a result of the combination of what Gottleib said and the fact that we have some guys to need to fill leadership roles that don't necessarily come naturally to them.

I would also add that our fans need to realize that they can do the same thing for the basketball team that they have done for the football team in home games this year.

I'm not a fan of AAU basketball. Never have been. I think our problems are a result of the combination of what Gottleib said and the fact that we have some guys to need to fill leadership roles that don't necessarily come naturally to them.

I would also add that our fans need to realize that they can do the same thing for the basketball team that they have done for the football team in home games this year.

word

Love this.

Thanks for sharing and it is interesting but my only questioning of the theory is pretty much everyone in the top 100 plays AAU. Definitely all, or most, of the top 50-75. So why don't all top schools have this problem?

Very few freshmen light it up their first year. We are starting 2-3 every game and they are not X Henry or J Wall. I think they will be better than average but they have to:

Catch up with the speed of the game.

Learn that you have to use good fundamentals to play defense and rebound at the Div I level.

Develop a team identity and focus where we kind of know what to expect game to game.

Learn the system and execute it and learn to play together. You don't set foot on campus knowing all of that.

I doubt that any of them (maybe not Willie either) will leave before their junior season if not later. I do think that Tiny may set rebounding records at OU. He is already getting a bunch with inconsistent and often bad technique. Pledger is playing the best all-around game of the frosh.

TMG and Fitz will be OK.

Meanwhile I hope this board doesn't deteriorate to where the OUinsider board is. It's time to put the Capel/Sampson thing behind us. Give Capel a chance to prove that he can will without the best player in the country and quit trying to prove that Sampson was a bad coach. There never was any sense in pitting one against the other.

And let's be constructive and respectful and stop getting so sensitive.

We have good posters on this board and lets enjoy sensible and constructive basketball chatter.

I agree with Gottlieb. I don't know much about Basketball. But the same can be said about soccer, baseball, softball and maybe volleyball. Those kids at the high levels play all the time. It's crazy. Part of the probrem is young parents that don't know better. (I have been one of those) And trainers that make money when their teams are practicing and playing. Lots of kids are developing pro like attitudes. "just another game". Lots of kids are burning out early. Many are getting hurt due to never letting their bodies rest and recover.

What Gottlieb said sounds good but I don't think there is much truth to it. I think our problem lies with:

1. lack of leadership
2. lack of blocking out for rebounds
3. lack of defensive intensity
4. lack of defensive fundamentals
5. silly turnovers
6. not getting Tiny enough touches

Straighten these things out and we are a good basketball team and you can forget what happened or didn't happen in AAU ball.

Thanks for sharing and it is interesting but my only questioning of the theory is pretty much everyone in the top 100 plays AAU. Definitely all, or most, of the top 50-75. So why don't all top schools have this problem?

1) Not all AAU programs are the same. I can remember Blake and Sam Bradford talking about an AAU game that Athlete's First lost that bothered them a lot. It was obvious that they took the AAU wins and losses seriously, unlike those described earlier.

2) Sometimes, freshmen go to a program where they aren't called upon to play key roles early, so they have time to adjust. A lot is expected from these freshmen.

Certain AAU coaches only care about winning. I have watched up here in VA with Boo Williams and I can say he teaches the lessons of life and basketball and is very involved with there good and bad habits.There are alot of AAU coaches that need there buts out in the schools with low talent and see what they can do then......

What Gottlieb said sounds good but I don't think there is much truth to it. I think our problem lies with:

1. lack of leadership
2. lack of blocking out for rebounds
3. lack of defensive intensity
4. lack of defensive fundamentals
5. silly turnovers
6. not getting Tiny enough touches

Straighten these things out and we are a good basketball team and you can forget what happened or didn't happen in AAU ball.

Other than the leadership isn't that what Gotlieb is saying. Poor fundamentals from AAU ball?

Denver your post is great but it also reaffirms the problems Guttlieb brought up with the AAU. I know coach is addressing them esp going back to OU and practices on campus will not be pleasant...

Back