Is the game of basketball getting smaller?

SoonerfanTU

Banned
Reaction score
It wasn't long ago alot of teams played a bigger guard, or even a small power forward type guy at the "3" spot. Slowly over the last decade or so the "3" spot has really turned into just another guard, akin to the shooting guard spot.

Now, it seems like alot of teams, the good ones, are playing more hybrid guys at the "4" spot. There are more guys like Patillo, Taylor Griffin, and Damian James playing the "4" successfully then guys like Bookout and Fitz.

I guess I'm bringing this up b/c I'm not sure OU has a guy like that on our roster, or coming in next year. I don't really think Cam fits that description, especially as a true frosh. Maybe as a junior he could pull it off, effectively, like a bigger Crocker. I don't see him doing that as a frosh though. So that means we play somebody out of position, or we play a guy like Fitz or Tiny there, and suffer on defense.

I'm starting to think that I'd rather add two lanky, rangy, PF-types over a true center. I guess a true center and a rangy PF-type would be ideal, but that would still leave Tiny as your "4", which I'm becoming less and less competent in. And I think I was saying the opposite of that just a week or so ago, but I've changed my mind. I think if Tiny stays, defensively, he needs to be the 5, while offensively, he probably needs to play as a 4.

Just a thought.

PF's in the Big 12

Texas- Damion James
K-State- Jamar Samuels
Colorado- Marcus Relphorde
ISU- Craig Brackins
Tech- Mike Singletary
Kansas- Marcus Morris
A&M- David Loubeau
OSU- ?
Missouri- Justin Safford
Nebraska- Christian Standhardinger
Oklahoma- ?
Baylor- Quincy Acy

I would say most of these guys fit the description of what used to be a small forward. Samuels, Relphorde, Brackins, Morris, Singletary, and James are all "tweeners" that are big enough to play in the post at the college level, but have a perimeter skillset.

All of the above guys except Acy and Loubeau can put the ball on the floor and shoot from the perimeter.

Last edited:
The conventional true center, power forward combo is gone.

I think Cam could fill the role at some point, but maybe not until his sophomore or junior year...you have to be physical.

The conventional true center, power forward combo is gone.

I think Cam could fill the role at some point, but maybe not until his sophomore or junior year...you have to be physical.

Definitely agree with everything you said here, especially about Cam at the 4 if we don't find any juco 4-man type impacts. Just from the brief videos I've seen, he does appear to block a lot of shots in the paint, so maybe he could get in there and mix it up next year.

I haven't watched Villanova all that much this year, but I noticed that their starters and main five players go 6-2, 6-1, 6-5, 6-6 and 6-8, and they've managed to get into the top five.

Guards now a days are bigger. Not so long ago you could have a team with a point guard height being 5-9-6-0, 2s could be anywhere from 6-0-6-5 but usually around the 6-1 to 6-3 range. There was a different in how big a 2 and a 3 was now there basically the same. There's always been very few really big guys around. The skilled 6-10 or taller guys went pro so there was never a lot of those around. There's still very few tall guys that can really play. There always is a shortage of those. But I do think that even in the NBA centers aren't as big. You don't have a guy really as big as Shaq was that is in his prime in the NBA. Howard is probably the best center now and he's skinny.

baylor's starting PF is udoh ... at 6'9 or 6'10 and their starting 3 is 6'10

i think the game is getting more skilled. few teams want to play more than one guy at a time with post-only skills.

if you've got big 4s with 3 skills that's great. if not, i think coaches are more willing to sacrifice size than skills.

I don't know saying that players in the say 80s or 90s aren't skilled is pretty dumb. I don't know if skill has changed I think players are actually a little taller at most positions but a little more fit. Although the centers aren't as tall other positions are actually taller for the most part.

Back