James Woodard

With Clarke out of the picture, I am looking for Kruger and Co to offer James here shortly.

I am not sure what our realistic chance is on these "bigger fish". While I'd love to land Smart or Grant, I just don't see it at this point. I hope that Kruger is setting his expectations at a reasonable level for this class.

While I think OU should be able to land top regional guys, I just don't think the program is there right this second.

IF it were me, then I'd take Woodard, one other wing (Hield or Morgan for example) and then a big (Waverly Austin would be my top pick) and call it a class.

I think we have a better shot at Smart then you think.

Also, why go straight to Woodward? I know rankings aren't everything, but the ESPN link you just posted doesn't even have him in the top 100. I'd rather go after Hield AND Morgan if Smart chooses elsewhere.

JMO.

Edit: Just to add, recruiting a bunch of "nonranked" guys is one of the things that got Capel in trouble. OU should be recruiting guys like Woodward (the older one) as filler, or last resort type of stuff.

I think that I have mentioned this before. Krueger's stay here is likely to be very frustrating for those that live or die with a recruits ranking.

He has never been one to sign the elite recruits. He doesn't chase the ones he can not get and he gets away from the ones that want something extra. He has built every program with transfers, juco's, and 3 stars.

Old habits are hard to break and the fans at every stop ragged about it on the message boards. Even those at UNLV think that they are headed to the promise land as soon as their new younger coach gets those elites signed up.

Oklahoma may be his very best shot to snag a top 50 from time to time. Alot of them pop up in our geographic recruiting area. But, he does not need them to win.

I think we have a better shot at Smart then you think.

Also, why go straight to Woodward? I know rankings aren't everything, but the ESPN link you just posted doesn't even have him in the top 100. I'd rather go after Hield AND Morgan if Smart chooses elsewhere.

JMO.

Edit: Just to add, recruiting a bunch of "nonranked" guys is one of the things that got Capel in trouble. OU should be recruiting guys like Woodward (the older one) as filler, or last resort type of stuff.
Smart is difficult to get a read on but I just dont think OU is in good standing with him. Their ace in the hole was package deal with his best bud Forte. Now multiple other schools are options for that. Who knows how that goes down, I just dont think Smart will be a Sooner based on my gut.

The staff acts like their taking two guards is likely in 2012, so with Morgan off the board why not take Woodard? He may never be a star in the Big 12 but with the way he's worked his tail off in recent months he's shown he's no scrub.

I think you are one of the few who will argue nonranked guys is why Capel failed. If you look at his recruiting habits, he chased the stars and often ignored the quality "unranked" guys. He then struck out with the big names and it burned him. Meaning that when he took the "unranked" guys he was going after the bottle of the barrel.

BTW, its Woodard not Woodward. Recruits, their parents and such read these boards. Like it or not it happens and it will continue to happy. It might not be a big deal to some but when some see their names misspelled they get offended.

but when some see their names misspelled they get offended.

I'm sure they notice it, but I doubt anyone is that sensitive. In most cases its something they've dealt with their whole lives.

I see no reason OSU or OU should not offer James. A 4 year player who has shown he works hard and gets better every game.

I'm sure they notice it, but I doubt anyone is that sensitive. In most cases its something they've dealt with their whole lives.

I see no reason OSU or OU should not offer James. A 4 year player who has shown he works hard and gets better every game.

Depends on the kid, some can't stand out. Others don't care. It seems cliche but each recruit is quite different, guess it comes with the territory (high school kids).

I could see that, especially when it is not a difficult name to get right. During keitons commitment people always butchered his name with keaton paige. Even on the osu boards people are spelling in woodward.

It is certainly worth correcting, I just don't think someone is going to think twice about a school based on that fact.

I could see that, especially when it is not a difficult name to get right. During keitons commitment people always butchered his name with keaton paige. Even on the osu boards people are spelling in woodward.

It is certainly worth correcting, I just don't think someone is going to think twice about a school based on that fact.

True, but I can see a scenario where it could have an impact. Say a local team was waiting on other prospects before offering you, their fan base couldn't stop talking about how good your little brother was and then they couldn't even get your name right. You might see it as part of an overall sign of disrespect and choose to go elsewhere.

i've personally seen James and Nino at least a dozen times each the past three years. Nino was the better player after their freshman and sophomore years. No longer...James is better and improves every year. btw anyone notice nino dropped out of the espn top 100?

Back