Jeff Bzedelik, Minnesota talk coaching vacancy...

elmocarp

Reaction score
Is he really even eligible for this job? Doesn't he have to be employed within the state of Colorado?

Link...

Is he really even eligible for this job? Doesn't he have to be employed within the state of Colorado?

Link...

Jeff will not be at Colorado very long. Whether it be in the NBA or another university, he is too well connected (and too good of a coach) to be wasting his time at CU.

Would be tough to leave Colorado though, every other part of the country just seems ugly.

Link...

Well, his employment history indicates he will stay in Colorado. Denver Nuggets, Air Force, and now CU.

Bzdelik going back to the NBA would be a big blow to CU basketball, and when you are the last place team in the Big 12 you dont need something like that.

Jeff will not be at Colorado very long. Whether it be in the NBA or another university, he is too well connected (and too good of a coach) to be wasting his time at CU.

Would be tough to leave Colorado though, every other part of the country just seems ugly.

If he leaves CU, I bet it would be for the NBA. He has a ton of NBA experience (including head coach), so I wouldnt be surprised to see him take off for the NBA.

I have no idea who they would hire as a replacement. They would probably promote Steve Mcclain, who was the former head coach at Wyoming for 9 years. He won the Mountain West conference at Wyoming twice, and played in the post-season 4 times. He took Wyoming to the NCAA tournament for the first time since the 80's in 2002..

He is actually a pretty valuable assistant coach, as not many guys who have been a head coach for 9 years, won their conference a few times, and played in some NCAA Tournaments take a job as an assistant for a low level Big 12 school.

Full story including comments from Bzdelik:

BOULDER, Colo. — Colorado basketball coach Jeff Bzdelik had an informal conversation with Minnesota Timberwolves officials about their head coaching vacancy earlier this week, but CU athletic director Mike Bohn said he is convinced that Bzdelik remains committed to the Buffs.

“Jeff called me and told me that it was an informal ‘bump’ at a summer league where he was monitoring the progress of some of our players and some of our former players,” Bohn said. “He said it was a very casual conversation.”

Bzdelik spent three days this week in Las Vegas, where he watched some former Buffs compete in an NBA summer league, and also met with current Buffs Cory Higgins and Trey Eckloff, both of whom were attending a skills camp there.

“I was there for three reasons: one, to talk basketball with people who know the game,” Bzdelik said. “Two, to support some of my players who were there improving their game.

“And three, to protect our interests. Unfortunately, in our business, there’s not a great deal of integrity in some circles, and some coaches are always trying to tamper with other players.”

While there, Bzdelik said he had an “unexpected” meeting with Timberwolves general manager David Kahn.

“The conversation came up about their opening and we talked about it,” Bzdelik said. “That’s what there was to it.”

Among those who have officially interviewed for the Minnesota job are Houston Rockets assistant Elston Turner and Portland assistant Monty Williams. Former NBA guard Mark Jackson, Dallas assistant Terry Stotts and Lakers assistant Kurt Rambis are also believed to be among the front-runners for the position.

Knowing that news of his conversation with Kahn would become public, Bzdelik called his players Thursday to inform them that he remains committed to Colorado.

While he would not rule out any further conversations with the Timberwolves, Bzdelik sounded very much like a man determined to continue the rebuilding process in Boulder.

“Our guys are busting their butts this summer,” Bzdelik said. “I honestly believe we are coming close to turning that corner. I feel great about our future, and I know our guys feel the same way.”

Earlier this summer, Bzdelik also spent some time with longtime NBA coach Larry Brown, who has seen the Buffs play several times during Bzdelik’s tenure.

“He offered some sound advice,” Bzdelik said. “It was a great meeting.”

NCAA rules prohibit Bzdelik from watching current players work out at camps. But he did have the opportunity to meet with Higgins and Eckloff after their daily workouts.

“I want to support our guys,” Bzdelik said. “I want them to know that we’re in their corner.”

Bohn said he believes Bzdelik will be at CU next season.

“Jeff has been completely transparent with us,” Bohn said. “He remains as excited as he’s ever been about Buff basketball. His commitment and work ethic to move this program north are at an all-time high.” Bohn said.

Bzdelik, who spent most of his coaching career in the NBA, including a head coaching stint with the Denver Nuggets, has his name pop up periodically in searches. Last year, when the Chicago Bulls were looking for a coach, his name surfaced in connection to the vacancy.

“Speculation about interest in Jeff from any NBA team is a constant issue, based on his coaching ability and stature nationally,” Bohn said. “He’s respected not only at the college level but at the professional level, and speculation will always be a part of that.”

Bzdelik had two successful seasons at Air Force prior to taking the CU job in 2007. Before that, he was the head coach of the Denver Nuggets for 2½ seasons.

http://www.buffzone.com/news/2009/jul/16/cus-bzdelik-has-casual-conversation-nbas-timberwol/

If he leaves CU, I bet it would be for the NBA. He has a ton of NBA experience (including head coach), so I wouldnt be surprised to see him take off for the NBA.

I have no idea who they would hire as a replacement. They would probably promote Steve Mcclain, who was the former head coach at Wyoming for 9 years. He won the Mountain West conference at Wyoming twice, and played in the post-season 4 times. He took Wyoming to the NCAA tournament for the first time since the 80's in 2002..

He is actually a pretty valuable assistant coach, as not many guys who have been a head coach for 9 years, won their conference a few times, and played in some NCAA Tournaments take a job as an assistant for a low level Big 12 school.

I was beginning to you think you were Steve McClain...both of you are in love with the junior college players. Colorado would basically turn into Texas Tech of the north division.

McClain is a good coach and CU would be a great opportunity for him. He used to give my Lobos fits when I was in high school...Laramie was a tough place to play, too bad Boulder will never be the same way.

Laramie was a tough place to play, too bad Boulder will never be the same way.

Tell that to OU, who has lost 4 of the last 5 games in Boulder!

I saw Brent Price at the airport a few weeks ago and went over to talk to him and let him know I was one of his biggest fans. (I wish we could get just one shooter like him) He said a couple interesting things when I asked him what he was up to these days: 1) He was headed to Colorado to work with Bzedelik's shooter on working screens and coming off them to get good looks, and 2) there just aren't as many pure shooters as there were when he played.

He looked like he was in good enough shape to play again. I'd given anything to have someone like him on last year's team...

1) He was headed to Colorado to work with Bzedelik's shooter on working screens and coming off them to get good looks

Brent Price is going to CU to work with Buff players on coming off screens? Why isnt he doing that at OU?

Bzedelik was an assistant with the Wizards when Price was there and he told me Bzedelik asked him to come work with them. I'd really like BP to work with Cade and see if he can refine his stroke a bit.

little Miss Dense could convince Brent to work with anyone. Beat her in a game of tennis or get Paul to ask her.

Back