Jeff Capel

WichitaSooner

Reaction score
Wonder if he makes it through the season. Pitt remains a train wreck. And I wonder if he gives Blake half his salary lol.

Capel has to go down as Joe C's worst hire of any sports program right? Certainly of the major ones.

I got this one wrong...thought a lot of his mistakes at OU were correctable. After being Coach K's right hand for several years, I thought he might be ready for a "solid" job like Pitt (two guys have won there). I guess he'll end up back on the Duke bench if he can't turn things around soon.

I got this one wrong...thought a lot of his mistakes at OU were correctable. After being Coach K's right hand for several years, I thought he might be ready for a "solid" job like Pitt (two guys have won there). I guess he'll end up back on the Duke bench if he can't turn things around soon.

This will be Coach K's last year so I'm not so sure a younger coach takes him on staff. The baffling thing about him is that his big draw is recruiting and he has not really recruited well. They are dead last in the conference in recruiting now. And he's yet to have a winning record coming into his 4th season at Pitt.

Blake was hired by Steve Owens....I believe.

Yup...some mistakenly think it was Donnie Duncan because he had the official AD title at the time - he was simply finishing out his contract. Steve Owens was out to prove that good coaches could be found in the state of Oklahoma. He finished 1-for-2 testing that theory - he also hired someone by the name of Sherri Coale.

Pete Hughes was a bad hire because I used to work with several Virginia Tech alums (where we got him from), and couldn't get one of them to tell me he was a good hire for OU. The best I got was "Uhm, well, he did a good job for awhile here". He has to be the worst hire simply because he does not have a baseball equivalent of a Blake Griffin or making the Elite Eight of the NCAA tournament.

Yup...some mistakenly think it was Donnie Duncan because he had the official AD title at the time - he was simply finishing out his contract. Steve Owens was out to prove that good coaches could be found in the state of Oklahoma. He finished 1-for-2 testing that theory - he also hired someone by the name of Sherri Coale.

Pete Hughes was a bad hire because I used to work with several Virginia Tech alums (where we got him from), and couldn't get one of them to tell me he was a good hire for OU. The best I got was "Uhm, well, he did a good job for awhile here". He has to be the worst hire simply because he does not have a baseball equivalent of a Blake Griffin or making the Elite Eight of the NCAA tournament.

You are correct, WF! My bad. I should have checked before not after I responded.

Back