Last night

jaymOU

Reaction score
Obviously if the 3 ball falls, we have a better mindset on how this team looks. That aside here are some things I saw:

1) Love Uzan and Oweh - length on D and O. I thought Oweh had some strong moments and I believe Uzan needs to start at the 1.

2) J Groves is moving much better laterally and can actually guard some people now.

3) Hill is a mystery - and maybe that's just what he will always be. I love that he can guard all 5 positions, but he can't finish at the rim, always seems to double pump and tries to draw contact.

4) Godwin is excellent. Plays within himself and knows what he can do. Love his game. Not a start in the Big 12, but a solid role player, I think. Very pleased with how he played

5) Bam and Sherfield both had really nice spurts. They are both upgrades from last year for sure

6) I even liked the minutes Bijan played - great court vision, I think he had two assists in the first two offensive possession he played.

Even after the first two games, I am still optimistic about this squad. I think over .500 in conference and one win in the NCAA tournament would be a good stepping-stone for next year.

Obviously if the 3 ball falls, we have a better mindset on how this team looks. That aside here are some things I saw:

1) Love Uzan and Oweh - length on D and O. I thought Oweh had some strong moments and I believe Uzan needs to start at the 1.

2) J Groves is moving much better laterally and can actually guard some people now.

3) Hill is a mystery - and maybe that's just what he will always be. I love that he can guard all 5 positions, but he can't finish at the rim, always seems to double pump and tries to draw contact.

4) Godwin is excellent. Plays within himself and knows what he can do. Love his game. Not a start in the Big 12, but a solid role player, I think. Very pleased with how he played

5) Bam and Sherfield both had really nice spurts. They are both upgrades from last year for sure

6) I even liked the minutes Bijan played - great court vision, I think he had two assists in the first two offensive possession he played.

Even after the first two games, I am still optimistic about this squad. I think over .500 in conference and one win in the NCAA tournament would be a good stepping-stone for next year.

I love Hill, but this is spot on. He just needs to go stronger and be more decisive. If it gets blocked, so be it, but that's better than always worrying about contact and still getting it blocked or missing it.

Did anyone watch KU/Duke? KU has always been so good at finishing at the rim. Their guards in particular are incredible at finishing tough layups through contact. Gradey Dick (he will be the rare KU player I like because he spent most of his life at my old school before transferring to Sunrise) had a couple of outstanding finishes last night. I hope we only have to deal with him for one season before he is off to the NBA.

I love Hill, but this is spot on. He just needs to go stronger and be more decisive. If it gets blocked, so be it, but that's better than always worrying about contact and still getting it blocked or missing it.

Did anyone watch KU/Duke? KU has always been so good at finishing at the rim. Their guards in particular are incredible at finishing tough layups through contact. Gradey Dick (he will be the rare KU player I like because he spent most of his life at my old school before transferring to Sunrise) had a couple of outstanding finishes last night. I hope we only have to deal with him for one season before he is off to the NBA.

I recorded it, haven't watched yet. But i just looked at the box score and their players.... Every guy in their lineup besides their point is 6-8 and above... Whoa! Talk about a matchup problem..

I just think it's amazing that there's a guy named Gradey Dick lol

he shot almost 58% last season .. he is a very very good finisher at the rim

I recorded it, haven't watched yet. But i just looked at the box score and their players.... Every guy in their lineup besides their point is 6-8 and above... Whoa! Talk about a matchup problem..

Duke? KU has a 6'6" and 6'7" starter, and a couple small backups. Their lack of height inside was actually a huge issue for them last night. Duke got back in the game by killing them on the boards, but Duke is an outlier because they are huge. It was an impressive win by KU -- they shot very poorly, got beat up on the glass, were down by 6 late, but Wilson was fantastic and Gradey made the three biggest plays of the game in the last two-plus minutes.

he shot almost 58% last season .. he is a very very good finisher at the rim

That stat doesn't mean he is a good finisher through contact, Boulder. I love Jalen and all the things he does well, but he struggles to make contested layups when there is a big defending the rim. I bet even he would identify that as an area he needs to improve.

That stat doesn't mean he is a good finisher through contact, Boulder. I love Jalen and all the things he does well, but he struggles to make contested layups when there is a big defending the rim. I bet even he would identify that as an area he needs to improve.

I saw that stat last year, showing his finish % at the rim was something very good and I was stunned. I count several times almost every game he does not make a contested shot.

I agree. I really like Hill, but going strong to the rim is not his strength. He often pump fakes.

I also agree that we will be better if Uzan can take over the 1. Reminds me a little of Woodard moving to the 2 several years back. I think Sherfield can really help as a shooter at the 2.

Is that sarcasm or are you serious? I'd love to see him start at the 1.

I think where that gets a bit tricky is that one huge part of Sherfield's game is how good he is running the pick and roll. I don't think you could really take full advantage of that if you make him the 2 and have Milos play the 1 whenever they are on the floor together. But you certainly can have them both take turns bringing the ball up and being the primary ball handler. Let them both play to their strengths depending on what set you are running, etc. It also helps your transition game a ton to have two point guards on the floor.

Is that sarcasm or are you serious? I'd love to see him start at the 1.

i am serious Sherfield is a very very good PG and OU wants the ball in his hands ..

uzan averages more turnovers is far less min ...

Uzan has a very very bright future .. but that time is not now ..

Not that I know anything, but I agree with Boulder. I am all for Uzan playing but if it me making the decision, I am playing Grant at the point. I like a lot of thing about him, but I particularly like his judgment, which is critically important to good point play. If he goes down, then I am all in on Milos at the point. That being said, I have thought more of Cortes than most on this board I think. I thought he looked really good last night. Clearly improved.

I still wonder how much Benny is going to play. Just don't know whose minutes to give away to him. If we don't play him, I worry he will portal. I have seen enough of him, I really hope he doesn't leave. I think he has a bright future.

uzan averages more turnovers is far less min ...

it's been 3 games

I don't think anyone is saying Milos is a better player than shef. I just like a lineup with both of them starting and to me it seems like when they happens, Milos often times does play the 1. We all know he is young but he is far more impressive than noland

it's been 3 games

I don't think anyone is saying Milos is a better player than shef. I just like a lineup with both of them starting and to me it seems like when they happens, Milos often times does play the 1. We all know he is young but he is far more impressive than noland

i think those limited min are good for Uzan to run the O and Grant to get a little break and be allowed to run off screens ...

but that is far different then taking the ball out of our PG and best players hands for the majority of the game ..

I love Grant and he should stay on the court. I agree with Bounce I like Grant and Los for more minutes. Uzan has played 3 games, Grant in his 4th year, so silly to even compare right now. As good as Grant is though, I totally believe Uzan's upside is higher in the long run. He's longer, more athletic, better defense, and I think if Uzan wanted to he could score in bunches. In his limited time his stroke looks great and his midrange and finishing looks really good too.

I love Grant and he should stay on the court. I agree with Bounce I like Grant and Los for more minutes. Uzan has played 3 games, Grant in his 4th year, so silly to even compare right now. As good as Grant is though, I totally believe Uzan's upside is higher in the long run. He's longer, more athletic, better defense, and I think if Uzan wanted to he could score in bunches. In his limited time his stroke looks great and his midrange and finishing looks really good too.

i have no doubt the Uzan will be a very good / maybe great player in 2 years ..

Grant is the current best player on OU's team ..

Back