Manek

euphguy

Reaction score
It has been so interesting to see people criticize Trae to no end, as he's the savior to OU basketball. Perhaps that's the problem. Did you expect him to have a flawless FRESHMAN season? Interesting. Name one player that never had a downtime in his freshman year (especially at the point guard position, which is the most difficult).

Curiously, hardly anyone has brought up Manek's pretty dreadful stretch as well. I wonder why? His defense is pretty terrible. His footwork in the paint leaves a lot to be desired. If he isn't making three pointers, he shouldn't play. It's that simple. Doolittle isn't the answer either. I'd rather see Lattin and Muni play together.

I'm curious to see how bad next year will be. *sips tea*

The freshman process for both of them. I LOVE Manek and am so glad he is here. He will bulk up over the year and be even better by next year and with the stamina to play longer and tougher next year. He is going to be a very good one for OU by the time he is done. Not one inch of criticism for he or Trae - Love both of them for coming to OU and doing all they can.

It has been so interesting to see people criticize Trae to no end, as he's the savior to OU basketball. Perhaps that's the problem. Did you expect him to have a flawless FRESHMAN season? Interesting. Name one player that never had a downtime in his freshman year (especially at the point guard position, which is the most difficult).

Curiously, hardly anyone has brought up Manek's pretty dreadful stretch as well. I wonder why? His defense is pretty terrible. His footwork in the paint leaves a lot to be desired. If he isn't making three pointers, he shouldn't play. It's that simple. Doolittle isn't the answer either. I'd rather see Lattin and Muni play together.

If you'd rather see Lattin than Manek, I don't know what to tell you. As a true freshman who is clearly in need of adding size and strength, Manek already averages almost as many rebounds as Lattin, who is a senior with 125+ games under his belt. Lattin also gives us zero offense outside of dunks and layups set up by Trae, and he manages to blow many of those chances. Even if you could somehow argue that the two are close right now, the very fact that Manek is a freshman and arguably the biggest piece of the puzzle moving forward means he needs to get plenty of minutes. That's not to say his minutes shouldn't be cut back if he doesn't find his shot again soon. But Doo and RO are the guys to play, not more Lattin.

I just checked the stats from Big 12 play. Manek is leading the Sooners in rebounding 5.5 rpg McNease 5.3 rpg & Lattin 5.2 rpg. He is third in scoring behind TY & CJ. His shooting % from both 2 and 3 during Big 12 play is better than TY & CJ.
3 pt fg% Manek .403 CJ .368 TY .331
2 pt fg% Manek .452 CJ .447 TY .395

I think Manek’s shooting slump and defensive atrocities are pretty frequently brought up.

The problem I have with Trae is effort. Manek is still giving effort on both ends of the floor. It isn't always in the correct direction but he's at least giving it. Shots don't always fall and all players have their limitations but effort shouldn't suffer because of either.

Right or wrong it's like a QB in football. When things are going well they get all the credit and when things are going bad they get all the blame. Trae is our QB

It's pretty clear that Manek has hit a freshman wall. If the conditioning staff does their job, he'll be ready to finish next year strong.

Back