Maybe He Knew What He Was Talking About

Soonerbay

Reaction score
I think that we all can agree that the current team lacks the skill set to successfully compete in the Big XII. Most of them would be great mid to low DI players and there are a few NAIA's and JC's on the team. I haven't seen all of the games this year, but the ones that I have were absent any one (let alone two) player that has that "IT"; a winning attitude, athleticism, skilled, high basketball IQ, determination and passion. Neither does the coaching staff have "IT" when it comes to their coaching abilities, not even combined. They all kinda sit there, except when SC jumps up when they are on a short lived run as though they have been ordered to their seats in silence and taking notes. Poker faces. Scared to think, breath or say anything. Just my opinion based on observation.

Maybe Bubba Paris was right and knew more than all of us. And now CParis has all the championships including a WNBA. The only one missing...OU. It's always discussed in the bay area amongst coaches and fans alike.

Courtney’s father, Bubba Paris, looked on from inside the Ford Center and said his family tree is ready for another championship.

"The Paris family has state championships, regional championships, Super Bowl championships, Big 12 championships, high school championships,” said Bubba, a former offensive lineman who won three world titles with the San Francisco 49ers (1983-90). "Now we’ve just got to add a college national championship to it, then you can officially say that the Paris household is a championship family.”

Shortly after Courtney made her promise, Bubba went on television, pointed at the camera and called out OU coach Sherri Coale.

"This is their year, and let me be clear about this again — my daughters have contributed,” Bubba said. "They’ve helped them recruit great players. They’ve brought in good people. If they don’t win this year, it’s your fault, Sherri Coale.

"Take those great players and win with them. I said it. Yes, I did.”

Coale has had no comment on Bubba’s sermon, but members of the OU administration weren’t too pleased.

Asked after Tuesday’s game why he singled out Coale, Bubba said, "The reality of it is this team has talent. I thought my daughters played about as well as they can play. It’s a coach’s job to put it all together and make it happen.”

Bubba said he has seen some championship qualities from this year’s team.

Courtney was named the regional’s Most Outstanding Player, but Bubba said that’s not the reason OU is headed to St. Louis.

"This team, to me, came of age,” Bubba said. "One of the things necessary in order for a team to win a championship is someone has to step up to the plate and take turns leading a team. Last game (against Pittsburgh on Sunday night), Courtney didn’t have her best game, but Whitney Hand took over. Today, Courtney played well. Danielle Robinson played well. When you have those people who can step up and produce for you, it’s a cohesive thing.”

Bubba stressed there is still some work to do.

https://newsok.com/article/3358041/ou-womens-basketball-bubba-paris-wants-another-title

our maybe one of his daughters should have worked a little more like her sister

our maybe one of his daughters should have worked a little more like her sister

You clearly do not know AParis' history. SC kept her on the bench when she should have been starting much earlier. She had her backing up her sister which made no sense. And the year OU had their best opportunity to win a NC...2006 NCAA tourney...SC chose to go with her upperclass players rather than AParis who helped close the scoring gap versus Stanford. SC admitted it was a mistake and they ended up losing to a team they could have clearly beat. But don't take my word. Andy Landers who was the coach at Georgia and a current ESPN analyst stated as much after she was finally starting her junior year. She accomplished more on and off the court than many four year starters. She was the Big XII SportsPERSON of the year. And would have been a four year starter at many other programs. Your statement has no validity.

GEORGIA HEAD COACH ANDY LANDERS
On the inside game:
"There is no question that both teams are good inside. We came in knowing that 30 of the points Oklahoma averages come from the high percentage shots that the bigs take. We were reasonably successful down low. I think we were really good with our transition defense. They scored on turnovers, but they didn't score more than four points off of missed shots."

On Oklahoma's Ashley Paris:
"I will create a little dissension since I'm here and I'm leaving in a few minutes, but if I'm Ashley (Paris) I would ask the coach why didn't you play me more last year. I told our players that she might be the tougher proposition, because she moves her offense around a little bit. She is a little bit more mobile with her bounce, and a little bit more creative or shifty with the bounce. Courtney (Paris) will use the bounce but it is more powering you straight to the basket. So Ashley might be the tougher proposition. Her field goal percentage is outstanding and she is having a terrific year."

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=208388690

Edit: Furthermore, when CParis' jersey was recognized, every article I read or video seen...she said she would not have been able to do any of it without her sister and had her come to the podium with her.

https://kfor.com/2017/11/10/sooners-retire-courtney-paris-jersey/

Last edited:
You clearly do not know AParis' history. SC kept her on the bench when she should have been starting much earlier. She had her backing up her sister which made no sense. And the year OU had their best opportunity to win a NC...2006 NCAA tourney...SC chose to go with her upperclass players rather than AParis who helped close the scoring gap versus Stanford. SC admitted it was a mistake and they ended up losing to a team they could have clearly beat. But don't take my word. Andy Landers who was the coach at Georgia and a current ESPN analyst stated as much after she was finally starting her junior year. She accomplished more on and off the court than many four year starters. She was the Big XII SportsPERSON of the year. And would have been a four year starter at many other programs. Your statement has no validity.

GEORGIA HEAD COACH ANDY LANDERS
On the inside game:
"There is no question that both teams are good inside. We came in knowing that 30 of the points Oklahoma averages come from the high percentage shots that the bigs take. We were reasonably successful down low. I think we were really good with our transition defense. They scored on turnovers, but they didn't score more than four points off of missed shots."

On Oklahoma's Ashley Paris:
"I will create a little dissension since I'm here and I'm leaving in a few minutes, but if I'm Ashley (Paris) I would ask the coach why didn't you play me more last year. I told our players that she might be the tougher proposition, because she moves her offense around a little bit. She is a little bit more mobile with her bounce, and a little bit more creative or shifty with the bounce. Courtney (Paris) will use the bounce but it is more powering you straight to the basket. So Ashley might be the tougher proposition. Her field goal percentage is outstanding and she is having a terrific year."

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=208388690

Edit: Furthermore, when CParis' jersey was recognized, every article I read or video seen...she said she would not have been able to do any of it without her sister and had her come to the podium with her.

https://kfor.com/2017/11/10/sooners-retire-courtney-paris-jersey/

The biggest waste of a great player with talent was Abi Olajuwon. The fact that Sherri hardly played her for years is still unbelievable.

Year Team GP Points FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG
2006-07 17 37 48.4% 0.0% 58.3% 1.5 0.1 0.2 0.1 2.2
2007-08 19 36 40.0% 0.0% 88.9% 3.2 0.1 0.4 0.1 1.9
2008-09 27 37 31.7% 0.0% 55.0% 2.2 0.1 0.3 0.1 1.4
2009-10 38 401 50.6% 0.0% 61.7% 7.3 0.5 0.5 0.9 10.6

Part of the limted playing time for Abi was she was only 1 year behind the Paris twins. Her first three years her best opportunity was as Courtney's backup. But Sherri chose to play Ashley behind Courtney and Abi just gathered bench splinters.

Had Ashley been playing the 4 and Abi backing up Courtney the team success might have been much better in 2006, 2007 and 2008. I think it would have been.

Abi played only 66 minutes in 2006, 156 in 2007 and 162 minutes in 2008. That is a total of 384 minutes in 3 seasons and 104 games.

Last edited:
Part of the limted playing time for Abi was she was only 1 year behind the Paris twins. Her first three years her best opportunity was as Courtney's backup. But Sherri chose to play Ashley behind Courtney and Abi just gathered bench splinters.

Had Ashley been playing the 4 and Abi backing up Courtney the team success might have been much better in 2006, 2007 and 2008. I think it would have.

Abi played only 66 minutes in 2006, 156 in 2007 and 162 minutes in 2008. That is a total of 384 minutes in 3 seasons and 104 games.

You and Speedy are so correct on the AOlajuwon comments. Yet she still managed to help get them to the Final Four the next year.

You and Speedy are so correct on the AOlajuwon comments. Yet she still managed to help get them to the Final Four the next year.

What would they have done if all three had played? It was a crazy misuse of talent.

Back