MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

Maybe Cole is ready to play play. Get mins at the 4 & Moore at the 3? Moore needs to play more wing this season if he wants a legit shot at the NBA.

Was he going to play In an industrial pickup league or some foreign country nobody can spell?
Do people really not understand this process? It’s been around for years and yet it’s like every year, people are baffled by what’s happening.

I understand the formality. I’m saying we all knew he was going back to school, just like Moore.
Of course. And I don’t think he ever acted like he was likely to stay in the draft. I’m confident Moore will make the same decision, but will breathe easier when he makes it official.

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with getting some advice and feedback from NBA scouts. The concern is when 100+ guys decide to enter the draft before their eligibility expires. I wonder how many end up regretting that they can never tell their grandchildren they were NBA draft picks because they either got bad advice or were too stubborn to listen to good advice. I think Buddy Hield remains as the poster boy for how to make the right decisions. Had he left after his sophomore year, he would be playing somewhere in Europe now. If he left after his junior year, he might have been a late 2nd round pick, but not sure he would have stuck around, and unlikely would be making the money he is making now...it's a lot easier to develop when you're actually playing.

I'll never forget the game in Lawrence during Buddy's senior year. At that time, Chad Ford had him at #29 on his Big Board...then Dick Vitale watched him play. Say what you want about Vitale, but I loved his quote as Buddy was lighting up the scoreboard: "Chad Ford, it's time to update your draft board! #29? He's way better than that!"

Obviously, not OU or anything but semi-interesting IMO.

IMG_1736.png

Last edited:
Yeah, there is nothing wrong with getting some advice and feedback from NBA scouts. The concern is when 100+ guys decide to enter the draft before their eligibility expires. I wonder how many end up regretting that they can never tell their grandchildren they were NBA draft picks because they either got bad advice or were too stubborn to listen to good advice. I think Buddy Hield remains as the poster boy for how to make the right decisions. Had he left after his sophomore year, he would be playing somewhere in Europe now. If he left after his junior year, he might have been a late 2nd round pick, but not sure he would have stuck around, and unlikely would be making the money he is making now...it's a lot easier to develop when you're actually playing.

I'll never forget the game in Lawrence during Buddy's senior year. At that time, Chad Ford had him at #29 on his Big Board...then Dick Vitale watched him play. Say what you want about Vitale, but I loved his quote as Buddy was lighting up the scoreboard: "Chad Ford, it's time to update your draft board! #29? He's way better than that!"
I don’t think Buddy even remotely considered leaving after his sophomore year. Obviously he made the right decision after his junior year but there are dozens and dozens of guys who make the opposite decision and it is best for them. And sometimes, even guys who don’t stay in the draft and don’t get picked end up just fine; they play overseas or in the G League and make a nice living, and maybe eventually make the NBA. In the days before NIL, I can understand if some guys preferred that route to playing for free, especially if they come from tough backgrounds and needed the money.

I went to high school with a guy who played a couple years for WSU, transferred to Texas, played a season there in 2001, declared for the draft, went unpicked, made good money in Europe for two years, then played 8 seasons in the NBA. I haven’t asked him, but I’d guess he doesn’t look back with much regret on leaving Texas a year early.

I don’t think Buddy even remotely considered leaving after his sophomore year. Obviously he made the right decision after his junior year but there are dozens and dozens of guys who make the opposite decision and it is best for them. And sometimes, even guys who don’t stay in the draft and don’t get picked end up just fine; they play overseas or in the G League and make a nice living, and maybe eventually make the NBA. In the days before NIL, I can understand if some guys preferred that route to playing for free, especially if they come from tough backgrounds and needed the money.

I went to high school with a guy who played a couple years for WSU, transferred to Texas, played a season there in 2001, declared for the draft, went unpicked, made good money in Europe for two years, then played 8 seasons in the NBA. I haven’t asked him, but I’d guess he doesn’t look back with much regret on leaving Texas a year early.
I get that some just needed the money and went overseas to play as opposed to playing for free in college. Those aren't the guys I was referring to. There are many every year who dream of playing in the NBA thinking they will be drafted who aren't. I can't even imagine how many were just given terrible advice. At the end of the day, Buddy has made a ton of money because he made some very intelligent decisions while in college. For those who are not top-rated prospects, Buddy is the gold standard for underclassmen making smart decisions if their dream is to play in the NBA.

Back