midseason observations

cowboysooner

Reaction score
First, if Uzon keeps his head on straight he is really going to be special. Still making some freshman mistakes.

Second, after watching the West V game, I am convinced Oweh needs to be getting more minutes every game.

Third, Moser does a good job of taking every players, and making them better individually from whatever they were. All the kids look improved some from last year.

Fourth, we aren't as athletic as the other B12 teams, but may be as skilled. We seem to play better as a team.

Fifth, this league brutal. WV hadn't won a B12 game and in warmup they looked like an NBA team. Where do they get all these monsters. I am guessing their average age was about 31 years old. It looked it anyway. Still can't believe we won.

Sixth, we are better than I thought we would be, but I doubt we finish as high in league as I predicted (I think I said top 4). I predicted we would make the NCAA tourney, and we might, but it is really going to be tough.

Unrelated: Are we sticking with the two November signees for 2023, and if not, anyone know who we might be looking at for the late signing period?

Sixth,

I hope we can keep our signees! Don't see why we wouldn't.

Oweh needs some minutes.. probably not 100pct ready, but we need to give guys some breaks. Think he will be a nice player in a year or two.

Need something from Jacob Groves.

Cortes/Noland I like a lot moving forward.

Uzan could be a top 5 player in this league sooner than later I feel.

I’d say Jacob and Cortes and Hill have all improved quite a bit. I don’t feel Tanner and CJ have, but CJ has put together three or four good games in a row, so hopefully that continues.

I agree on Oweh but think the challenge is that even in nonconference, we rarely could build or sustain a big enough lead to experiment much with lineups. I thought he should have played him longer Saturday because he seemed to play well in his limited minutes. He even made a couple big free throws to temporarily stop the bleeding after West Virginia started their comeback.

I imagine the question about the signees is whether we will add anyone to them. I’m sure that depends on how many players leave. We know we are losing Tanner and I imagine Grant will want to play professionally, but with the portal, I imagine we will have another couple openings. If so, we obviously need to add, and hopefully we can finally land an impact big.

I’d say Jacob and Cortes and Hill have all improved quite a bit. I don’t feel Tanner and CJ have, but CJ has put together three or four good games in a row, so hopefully that continues.

I agree on Oweh but think the challenge is that even in nonconference, we rarely could build or sustain a big enough lead to experiment much with lineups. I thought he should have played him longer Saturday because he seemed to play well in his limited minutes. He even made a couple big free throws to temporarily stop the bleeding after West Virginia started their comeback.

I imagine the question about the signees is whether we will add anyone to them. I’m sure that depends on how many players leave. We know we are losing Tanner and I imagine Grant will want to play professionally, but with the portal, I imagine we will have another couple openings. If so, we obviously need to add, and hopefully we can finally land an impact big.

Yes, a skilled big would appear to be our greatest need, assuming none of our other impact players leave.

I agree with Wichita, the games have been so tight, it is hard to let a kid develop if he doesn't give you your best chance to win. No ideas on how you do it, just making the point that he really looks like he could be a contributor. But, like you say, at the moment, it is hard to see how you fit him in.

C J is an interesting player. Very skilled and tough. I love his "judgment" when playing and he usually makes the smart play. But, he is a liability defensively. He is just not very quick and has great difficulty staying in front of guards going downhill. Good player, just don't where he fits in for me. Feel the same about Jacob. Good player, but a liability defensively on the perimeter.

Frankly, I don't know how I would rotate this roster in games. Looks like it would be very difficult. I guess I would say Moser is doing about as good a job as you can do. Hard to complain when you can't figure out how you would do it.

This team can both beat and lose to every team they will face the rest of the season. I think this team could make a run in the tourney if they can get there. But it's getting there that is the problem.

With that being said, Los is going to be really good. Hope he stays four years.

Back