Missouri is good... If OU wins, its an upset.

thebigabd

Reaction score
Missouri comes in at 14-3 and 2-0 in the Big 12, which may surprise some people... I figured pre-season they would be good, because I think they are at a point where they will always be good under Mike Anderson.

They have two great wins to start Big 12 play, at Texas Tech and a top 15 K-state team at home. They are on a 9 game winning streak, Kim English is showing signs of being a star, and they have two seniors running the show in JT Tiller and Zaire Taylor. They are very athletic and quick in the paint, which could be tough for Oklahoma.

This is a fast, athletic, and talented Mizzou team and frankly I think its a bad matchup for the slower, less athletic Sooners. They play fast, and force you to play out of control which is not good for Oklahoma.

The good news is that its a home game, but hopefully MU doesn't make it 10 wins in a row tomorrow.

I don't know much about them, what do they have inside?

Laurence Bowers is one of Missouri's most efficient players this season and is third on the team in scoring (10.9), second in rebounding (5.8) and tops in blocked shots (1.7) in just 20.7 minutes a game. Bowers scored a career high 23 points in the Jan. 2 win against Georgia, hitting 11-of-14 FGs for his first career 20-point night and has now reached double figures in four of his last five games, including 13 points and eight boards vs. K-State and 10 points and nine boards at Tech.

Justin Safford (6'8'' 220) averages 8 points and 4 rebounds per game, and he can shoot it from the 3pt line at a 50% clip.

Keith Ramsey (6'9'' 215) averages 6 points and 6 rebounds per game, and is a solid shot blocker. He can put the ball on the floor.

Gonna be a tough game. I expect a bit of a let down after an emotional Bedlam game. Not sure we'll beat Mizzou if we don't play to that level of passion though.

I actually think our 4 guard line-up will counteract their quickness in the post just a bit. And don't forget that match-ups go both ways: who is going to match up with 290 pounds of Tiny Gallon?

Also, I think our secret weapon is TMG's ball-handling skills. He's got a 10 to 1 A/T ratio over the last 4 games. He's only turned the ball over twice. Considering Gonzaga, OSU, and Baylor pressured our guards pretty heavily, I think that's a good sign for tonight's game.

We've also got two ball-handlers on the court and a third guy (in TC) that will be handling the ball against a post, so we are equipped to deal with the pressure.

They are the better team right now, but we can create some match-up problems of our own, and it's at home. We can definitely win if we defend.

Also, I think our secret weapon is TMG's ball-handling skills. He's got a 10 to 1 A/T ratio over the last 4 games. He's only turned the ball over twice. Considering Gonzaga, OSU, and Baylor pressured our guards pretty heavily, I think that's a good sign for tonight's game.

Yea this is a big game for TMG, going against the best defensive point guard in the country. he hasn't played a defensive player of the year type of guard yet like Tiller.

I am really interested in that matchup.

OU wins if they have a good defensive game. If they do some of the things that has gotten them blown out this year like letting people beat them off the dribble, not working through screens, and not closing out on the perimeter, they'll lose.

Real tough game for OU...Mizzou struggled a bit out of the gate but they are really hitting their stride right now.

Really worried about Gallon's conditioning for this game, the reserves need to be ready to go. Even Blake looked fatigued last year (I know, I know he was coming off an injury).

I definitely think we've got to make it a halfcourt game and slow ourselves down.

I definitely think we've got to make it a halfcourt game and slow ourselves down.

This. We have proven we can't play up and down, full court games because we don't get back on D and/or give up easy baskets when we do. To me we have to play every game half court especially this one

This is going to be a tough one. Let's hope the Bedlam win gave the team some momentum. If we're going to salvage this season, this is a game we have to win.

Collectively, they have played four road games and have won only one of these contests, that being an overtime win against Tech. Two of their road losses were against Richmond and Oral Roberts. If we play to form at home, which really isn't saying much, we come away from the game a victor. A slow methodical game probably suits us.

This. We have proven we can't play up and down, full court games because we don't get back on D and/or give up easy baskets when we do. To me we have to play every game half court especially this one

Actually, I don't think so. There is no correlation between the pace of the game and OU's defense (in points/possession) so far this year.

That said, Missouri's play is HIGHLY correlated with pace--they are FAR better on both offense and defense as the game speeds up. That, or they simply run bad teams to death.

Richmond forced Mizzou to play a ridiculously slow game--58 possessions each. (Missouri prefers mid-70s.) And Richmond BEAT Missouri in that game. OU hasn't played a game that slow this year!

So it does look that OU needs to hold the tempo down--which they do quite a bit so far this year, but not like Richmond can.

Unless it is against KU or UT, no home win for any team in the Big 12 this year should be considered an upset. Average teams > just above average teams when playing at home. And that's what the B12 amounts to this year. Even CU's win over BU cannot be considered a true upset. JMO.

Unless it is against KU or UT, no home win for any team in the Big 12 this year should be considered an upset. Average teams > just above average teams when playing at home. And that's what the B12 amounts to this year. Even CU's win over BU cannot be considered a true upset. JMO.

I think you hit the nail on the head, stanley. The Sooners are unbeaten at home and – contrary to popular opninion – have beaten some pretty good teams at the LNC. The Tigers are not invincible, especially as a road team in Big XII play. I believe the Sooners will improve to 2-1 in conference play tomorrow.

Tough game.

The guy I wanna see play harder and more consistantly is one TMG. He needs to take more of a POINT GUARD, LEADERSHIP ROLE IMO.

Back