Mizzou @ Oral Roberts

soonergrad09

Reaction score
Anyone here know why Mizzou is playing at ORU tomorrow night? Maybe they love the Mabee Center...

My guess would be a two for 1 deal and they were fine with going to Tulsa for recruiting. I honestly can not think of any other reason.

Mike Anderson is a former TU guy and his wife is from Tulsa and has family in the area. Anderson said that he still keeps in contact with some of his Tulsa guys.

And that's why you don't play on the road against teams like Oral Roberts...

Went to the game tonite - Mizzou looked terrible. ORU only suits eight players right now and they still may have won the rebound battle.

There were only two short 40 minutes of hell for mizzou - at the end of the
1st half ORU turned it over several times and the Tigers caught up from a 24 to 14 deficit to tie it up. Missouri scored 14 points I believe in the first 16 minutes of half one. In the second half there was a couple of minute period when Mizzou nailed several threes and the defense turned ORU over and the lead got up to eleven - but after that nothing.

ORU got a dunk with ten seconds left - fouled - Mizzou missed the front end of a 1 and 1 - then ORU got the ball to Morrison (by far their best player) and instead of taking the jumper with everyone draped on him like most kids would do he made a nice dump down for the layup that bounced around the rim three or four times before going in at the buzzer.

Missouri looked bad - didn't shoot well, didn't rebound well, didn't seem to have anyone who can really create off the dribble.

Kudos to Anderson for giving ORU the opportunity - he played and coached at TU. If you're Missouri you shouldn't be afraid to go to ORU to play...

Shouldn't be afraid to play at Oral Roberts, but not a whole lot to gain from it, either (not unlike playing @ VCU).

MU has not done well away from Columbia this year, but they didn't last year, either (opened conference play with a loss at Nebraska...). They're basically a team right now of 10 quality role players, and they're trying to figure out who's going to step up and lead the team. If they can find that guy to come up consistently, they will be good. If not, NIT...

I get your parellel about ORU and VCU, but ORU is really, really, bad.

This isn't a shot at Capel or Ford, but Scott Sutton may be the best coach in the state, for what he has to work with.

If you take it as a given that you are not going to go undefeated every season, not reason not to go play at a VCU or an ORU from time to time...particularly when you are getting 2 for 1's. JMHO.

I get your parellel about ORU and VCU, but ORU is really, really, bad.

That's an overstatement. ORU isn't as good as VCU, but they are on the same level as San Diego. Two good players (Morrison and Ford) can get you a long way.

This isn't a shot at Capel or Ford, but Scott Sutton may be the best coach in the state, for what he has to work with.

Based on two tourney appearances 10 years, and upsets of KU and Mizzou?

Back