Monday practice

vbdad

Reaction score
I was able to go watch the guys Monday.

This group is bigger than any we have had a long time around here and also a bunch of athletes.
Ryan Spangler and Cade Davis are playing on the scout team and they really help the intensity of the workout. Jamuni also was on it but didn't help the intensity.

Austin Reaves is the most vocal of the players in helping get guys in the right place. He is a very good drive and dish guy. I wasn't expecting to see him going to the paint as much as he did.

Doo looked like he did at the end of last year which is really good!

Brady is bigger than last year.

Kur is much bigger than last year and is very active. He had a great catch ahead of the pack on a bounce pass from Doo who nearly at half court. Caught it flushed it in stride. He will finish at the rim. Still needs to shoot the baby jumpers better.

Victor challenges every single shot and is an absolute pogo stick. He also easily finishes around the rim. Even saw him make a nice dribble drive for a bucket.

Jalen Hill looks very smooth and has tremendous size for a wing player. He doesn't look like he is working at all. He honestly didn't do much but looked like a player.

Harmon acts like a point guard. He is the only guy who isn't tall on the team and he has a great build.

AG is rail thin but he is very competitive and appears that he knows how to play basketball. He is long and tall. He is wing player. Everything points to a redshirt year but I'm not sure he looked to me like he can contribute.

We will see how good they actually are but I was pleased watching them just with the size and athleticism. We probably need more shooters but if Austin and Brady take the majority of the deep shots our percentage will be decent.

Thanks a million, vb! Great stuff -- I hope you can make some more practices!

:chestram2::woot:chestram2::woot

Thank you!!!!

Great stuff from you as usual, Vbdad! Everyone here is hungry for a practice report on this team, and you gave us that in spades.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think perimeter shooting will be a major concern by conference time. The shooters are there. I’m convinced we’ll see that when they develop a little better timing and team chemistry.

Much appreciated!

Always great to have actual basketball reports to read after a long three months! I'm always a little leery to proclaim a team's depth till well into a season, but one thing I feel confident in is that the athleticism will be better this season than it has in years. If the skill and effort are there, it should be a fun team to watch. Thanks, vbdad!

Appreciate the info vbdad. The talent and mindset seem to be gelling and that's a good sign. Love the make up of this team going forward.

It's been mentioned Alondes Williams is shooting for a August landing. Is it your understanding that Ricky Issanza and or Merritt will be arriving at that time as well? I'm hoping this is finally the year it'll be a dogfight for minutes.

Encouraging news about Anyang playing at the wing. I was hoping he'd be able to play on the outside. I originally thought he'd be a lock for a RS. Either way, it's a positive sign for him.

I'm basing this off of limited video but Hill looks to have the frame to transform and grow into his body the next couple of years. Intriguing player and skill set.

Love Kur and his story. Could have been another kid that fell through the cracks but he keeps working. Hope it translates to the floor.

Iwakour is sounding like the athletic beast we've been missing. Does he remind you of anyone in particular? I don't want to be misunderstood in comparing Vic to Kenyon Martin because Martin was a very special specimen. But Kenyon legitimately scared me as a kid. He was so intimidating. Iwakour seems to have some nasty in him like Martin did. Maybe a better way to describe it is with a Bill Russell quote when he said, "the goal is not to block every shot but make the opponent believe you are going to block every shot." Looking forward to seeing Vic develop and thankful he decided to play for the good guys and not Tech.

Do you think Bieniemy takes that next step or is he going to be the same smooth and steady player like last year?

Thanks again.

Bieniemy looked smooth as usual. He was running the point at the beginning and then moved to the two. I think he will shoot more this year and just keep making the right play.

Victor isn’t as big as Martin height or weight. He actually is built similar to the Virginia kid that played great defense on Doo. I think probably an inch shorter. He is an impressive athlete.

I think Issanza and Merritt will be here before Williams. I haven’t heard any specifics. If Williams has a good head on his shoulders he should be a big help.

Great report!

I laughed out loud at the line, "Jamuni also was on it but didn't help the intensity."

Bieniemy looked smooth as usual. He was running the point at the beginning and then moved to the two. I think he will shoot more this year and just keep making the right play.

Victor isn’t as big as Martin height or weight. He actually is built similar to the Virginia kid that played great defense on Doo. I think probably an inch shorter. He is an impressive athlete.

I think Issanza and Merritt will be here before Williams. I haven’t heard any specifics. If Williams has a good head on his shoulders he should be a big help.

Vbdad, I assume you mean, Mamadi Diakite, the pogo stick Virginia forward who was so good at blocking or changing shots he dominated the interior against us as well as other Cavalier opponents. He’s listed an inch or two taller than Victor, but the comparison in timing and being quick off of his feet are spot on.

Dsuits’ Bill Russell quote, "the goal is not to block every shot but make the opponent believe you are going to block every shot” fits both players perfectly. Victor Iwuakor is not only good at blocking shots, he likes it. He goes after shots like he’s on a mission to make sure there are no easy shots in his territory.

Yes him. Vic clearly likes to try for every shot.

this report has me hopeful, glad to read we have recruited some athletes!

Back