Moving Screens

skyvue

Reaction score
It seems to me we've called for moving screens this season more often than one would expect. It's generally Sam who draws the whistle. But Kevin Henry has said repeatedly on the OU broadcast that it's not Sam's failing--it's the guards. He's called out Oweh, Uzan and McCallum for not being patient and waiting one more beat for Sam to get his position established before they make their move. It makes sense to me, but I'm no coach nor did I ever play the game (except in our driveway).

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
It seems to me we've called for moving screen this season more often than one would expect. It's generally Sam who draws the whistle. But Kevin Henry has said repeatedly on the OU broadcast that it's not Sam's issues--it's the guards. He's called out Oweh, Uzan and McCallum for not being patient and waiting one more beat for Sam to get his position established before they make their move. It makes sense to me, but I'm no coach nor did I ever play the game (except in our driveway).

What do you guys think?
I think guards definitely play a big role in it. They need to wait long enough to start their drive to allow the big to get set. It happens a fair amount, I’ll be sure to look specifically at out guards going forward.

What I notice a lot is the nba coming to college on screen. The screener sets legal screen then starts to step away as is popping or rolling to basket and then gets in the way a second time. This used to be automatic moving screen, now not so much. Seen it happen to ou and ou do it as well.

Last edited:
Def more of a guard issue… but the screen setter cant move or lean into… sometimes Sam does..

If ya watch closely, there is also the set where the screener actually leaves (rolls) about a half sec before thus avoiding any contact. Should be done if the defender leaves early to help…

Back