My take on Josh Smith

elmocarp

Reaction score
I know a lot of people consider us long shots for Smith, and that very well may be the case, but I just wanted to take a minute and explain why I consider to be a legitimate player.

OK, so we saw a while back the recruiting report that OU was the supposed leader for Smith. This surprised a bunch of us...In fact I[m not sure anyone even knew OU was recruiting him at all, let alone in a position for anyone to call them the leader. So I asked Henzo about it and he didn't give me any details or anything, but he did say that OU's presence with Smith is legitimate, not just a fly-by-night internet thing.

So that means one of two things...The first and happiest scenario is that OU is indeed the leader. If thats the case, I feel very confident in Capel's ability to front-run and close the deal. The second scenario is that, at the very least, OU is in the thick of it with a recruit that many have long considered a UCLA lock. Maybe he winds up at UCLA, but the bottom line is the people who have been saying that he was theirs to lose never mentioned OU before, which suggests that they don't know what they are talking about (not that uncommon in recruiting). So at the very least, OU is legitimately in on Smith and no one is really sure who the leader is in his recruitment.

So there is my homer apologetic for Smith to OU. We'll see how it plays out, but I'm just as hopeful for Smith as I am Jones or Lamb.

The key with Josh is getting him on campus for an official. Let's hope that the in-home went well yesterday. If Capel can get him here on a visit before he commits to the Bruins, then I think we can really be a player. UCLA is loaded in the post (mainly with forwards but still), so we have a legit chance.

Smith is still a heavy UCLA lean as far as I'm concerned, but Oklahoma has definitely put themselves in the picture.

Back