NCAA panel says recruiting phone call rule must go

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdaSooner

Admin Emeritus
Reaction score
It's coming too late to save Kelvin Sampson's reputation as a college coach, but one NCAA body finally has acknowledged what's been true all along: the phone call rule has got to go.

The Division I Recruiting and Athletics Personnel Issues cabinet is supporting a rules change that would allow unlimited phone calls to prospects during the contact periods for each sport.

The proposed rule is designed to reduce the pressure on compliance offices to monitor phone calls to so many prospects in so many sports, but it also would serve coaches who have so many more important matters to consider. Coaches are limited to initiating one call per prospect per week, but determining whether a call counts is complex because cell phone companies can charge for calls that do not connect.

The rule is easily broken, anyway, by coaches who are willing to use untraceable cell phones or calling cards.

:clap

http://www.sportingnews.com/college...panel-says-recruiting-phone-call-rule-must-go

It's a good thing the NCAA did not reconsider the rule 6 years ago. We wouldn't have the pleasure of watching guys like Willie, Tiny and TMG perform this year.

:jcapel

I don't like this idea.

I look at it from the prospects point of view. If these coaches get unlimited calls these kids will be hounded like NO OTHER. I have seen the annoyance when the rule is in place and a lot of them follow it. Now you will have kids where 20 schools will be calling them an unlimited amount of times.

I just don't like that rule.

It's a good thing the NCAA did not reconsider the rule 6 years ago. We wouldn't have the pleasure of watching guys like Willie, Tiny and TMG perform this year.

Nice try, but Kelvin would have gone to Indiana no matter what.

That is such a BS cheap shot. You have no idea what the team would look like. But we do know that Damion James, Scottie Reynolds and Tony Crocker would be senior starters going into this season. That is a pretty darn good team. We also know that Sampson had Aarron McGhee, Taj Gray, Kevin Bookout, Longar Longar, and Taylor Griffin as post players his last few years so it is pretty safe to assume he would have had a more than servicable bigman to go with those guys. Add a defensive stopper at the other guard spot or some other form of a role player and that is potentially a final four team. I don't get the OU fans that never gave Sampson any credit or respect. He did a nice job at OU and I personally glad he was the OU coach. For about 10 years he was my favorite college basketball coach by definition. Now my favorite college basketball coach is Jeff Capel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back