new LNC master plan coming

Renovations done other places would suggest they might have to play elsewhere for at least part of a season.

UCLA played at the LA Sports Arena while Pauley was being renovated. Clemson played at a makeshift gym while there arena was being updated.

I'm sure there are other examples. It's tough to get a $50-60 million renovation done in one off season.

It's not like football where you're just adding a deck.

I've put a lot of thought into this. I would imagine a major renovation would take ~ 2 years. I think they could jimmy the schedule so it would be shut down from the first of March through the end of October without playing off campus. Play all exh games at the Fieldhouse and start and end the men's and women's seasons on the road. That's 8 full months free. I think it could be feasible to not need an off campus home.

The open concrete concourses are terrible. Close the concourses like a normal arena, reconfigure the seating a little, add some suites, bring the fans as close to the court as possible.

It would get the donor class out of the lower section. They don't come often and the good seats are empty.

Why all the clamor for suites?

I think the only benefit of the suites is that it will provide a good revenue stream for the program/athletic dept. I'm sure they wouldn't be filled very often.

I think the only benefit of the suites is that it will provide a good revenue stream for the program/athletic dept. I'm sure they wouldn't be filled very often.

I wonder if there's enough demand for them to provide that revenue, though. As for clearing out the lower seats, those would have to be some mighty big suites to accomplish much in that regard.

I don't know, I'm often puzzled by the way average fans talk up the importance of suites (people are always complaining about how the Cotton Bowl doesn't have any), and I don't get it, given that most of us will never see the inside of one of them.

Last edited:
I wonder if there's enough demand for them to provide that revenue, though. As for clearing out the lower seats, those would have to be some mighty big suites to accomplish much in that regard.

I don't know, I'm often puzzled by the way average fans talk up the importance of suites (people are always complaining about how the Cotton Bowl doesn't have any), and I don't get it, given that most of us will never see the inside of one of them.

Well, I will probably never see the inside of one, but almost every school that is building or renovating seem to be adding suites, and they are pretty much all sold/leased. They are adding them to basketball arenas and even baseball and softball stadiums so I'm sure they wouldn't be spending the money if it weren't a semi-wise investment.

Well, I will probably never see the inside of one, but almost every school that is building or renovating seem to be adding suites, and they are pretty much all sold/leased. They are adding them to basketball arenas and even baseball and softball stadiums so I'm sure they wouldn't be spending the money if it weren't a semi-wise investment.

A few years back, school sent out a questionnaire to basketball season ticket holders that seemed to be aimed at guaging interest in suites, club seating, and other fan comforts. I doubt they step into something as expensive as this could be with having some idea on the interest and potential return. The fact they are approaching the master facility planning stage is very encouraging to me. A program of OUs level and tradition deserves to have a first class facility. The LNC can be that if done right.

I think there is a subset of fans who see things like suites as a status symbol and that appeals to them. I suppose the same thing goes for those who want to sit in the front row. Front row seats aren't attractive to me because my view of the opposite side of the court is blocked by players.

The trick is to figure out how many suites you can sell and not let supply exceed demand.

I think there is a subset of fans who see things like suites as a status symbol and that appeals to them. I suppose the same thing goes for those who want to sit in the front row. Front row seats aren't attractive to me because my view of the opposite side of the court is blocked by players.

The trick is to figure out how many suites you can sell and not let supply exceed demand.

Front row seats are almost never the best seat in a venue. A few rows back is typically better.

There are certainly options available (e.g., Cox Convention Center in OKC). Of course the Fieldhouse could host several of the games against lesser opponents.

Moving games to OKC would hurt student attendance, but it may be necessary.

It might also be cool to play a home game (or two) in Tulsa.

LOL... would we be able to tell if it hurts student attendance?

I don't know if this is true, but I was told by a person that should know that Kelvin (pre troubles) was promised an on campus basketball centric gym if he would commit to stay long term. If this is true, then at least at some point, the university was talking about it.

A donor at the Univ. of Tulsa told me that when TU was looking at building a new gym, they discovered that arenas were in one of two classes, those that had a capacity of 10k or less and those with greater capacity. The former could be built in the "10s" of millions and the latter would cost in the "100s" of millions. They chose the affordable size. Again, I don't know if this is true. But, if it is, then I would build the DonRey level building and think this would be plenty big enough. Maybe where the current fieldhouse sits?

There are plenty of different opinions on the LNC and that has been discussed on her often. I think is beautiful but a lousy arena to watch a game and have never thought there was much atmosphere. I would love for us to have a real basketball arena, versus just an event center, which is what the LNC was designed to be.

I don't know if this is true, but I was told by a person that should know that Kelvin (pre troubles) was promised an on campus basketball centric gym if he would commit to stay long term. If this is true, then at least at some point, the university was talking about it.

A donor at the Univ. of Tulsa told me that when TU was looking at building a new gym, they discovered that arenas were in one of two classes, those that had a capacity of 10k or less and those with greater capacity. The former could be built in the "10s" of millions and the latter would cost in the "100s" of millions. They chose the affordable size. Again, I don't know if this is true. But, if it is, then I would build the DonRey level building and think this would be plenty big enough. Maybe where the current fieldhouse sits?

There are plenty of different opinions on the LNC and that has been discussed on her often. I think is beautiful but a lousy arena to watch a game and have never thought there was much atmosphere. I would love for us to have a real basketball arena, versus just an event center, which is what the LNC was designed to be.

The Fieldhouse isn't going anywhere. If the feasibility study shows the can accomplish what they want at LNC, everything stays there. That has always been the first choice.

I think the only way they would build near main campus would be for a donor to donate about $100-200M and specify that arena be built on main campus. Not going to happen. All practice/training facilities and lockerroom facilities are at LNC plus ample parking for the basketball games. They aren't an all day event like the 6 football games a year.

Nothing wrong with having both if the donors table it (and ive heard good things in that regard) The city of Norman can still lease the facility for it's use, concerts etc...

The fact is that OU men's basketball needs a smaller venue with better homecourt advantage architecture. 9k with boxes and a good design would be perfect for the team's future. Men's basketball is by far the second biggest revenue producer and source of national exposure in the athletic department and deserves a better venue IMO.

The women could choose to stay at the old LNC if they wanted...

Yes and AMEN!

I think the only way they would build near main campus would be for a donor to donate about $100-200M and specify that arena be built on main campus. Not going to happen. All practice/training facilities and lockerroom facilities are at LNC plus ample parking for the basketball games. They aren't an all day event like the 6 football games a year.

this

Back