next season will be huge for capel

sooner 1234

Reaction score
texas and kansas will take a step back next season. Its time to show wether hes a good coach or just an average coach who got the benifit of having the best player in college basketball in the last 2 or 3 years.

I couldnt care less how much talent he can or cant recruit...it will be all about wins .
Im sick of all the excuses(young team, injuries, bad chemistry, wont buy into the system.......we went through the very same stuff with kelvin, guys left , quit, kicked off, sat out games, got hurt, only difference is that we STILL found a way to win alot of games, make the tourney every year, and GET BETTER as the season went on.

Next season should be capels job. If he cant show the abiltity to compete for the big 12 next year(top 3 or 4) then we need to go a different route.
I like capel as a person, great guy, recruit with anyone, has brought alot of exciting players/talent to ou.............but if that doesnt translate into wins then who cares.....really. What good does it do us to talk about mcdonalds all americans when they cant even finish in the top half of the league???
I love watching duke/unc type talent sporting an ou logo, running the floor, showing amazing ability, but you know what I like better....winning, competing, or how about simply just winning a road game.

We use to sport a team full of transfers, jucos, who knows where they all came from, most having no shot at the nba, but we WON. I miss those days .

Kelvin was a master at recruiting JUCO players to keep his teams remarkably consistent from year to year. A huge part of our success for a solid decade was largely built on junior college players. Capel needs to learn that fact, and learn it very quickly.

I agree. Next year is a huge year in determining Coach Capel's fate at OU unfortunately because I really like him. That just shows how bad this season has been. And the bad thing is the Big 12 is going to be just as strong if not better next year top to bottom. KU, Texas, Baylor and KSU all look to be top 25 teams again. Mizzou should be improved. OSU only loses Obi unless Andersen goes pro. Colorado returns everything. Tech should be improved.
A&M loses Davis and Sloan but have some really good young talent and Turgeon has proved his teams play hard, play great defense and he gets max out of his guys. And Nebraska should be much improved. Iowa St will be solid only if Brackins comes back. I think the Big 12 is tougher next season to move up the standings. I'll be surprised if OU is picked in the top 8 preseason.

Not that it matters currently, but I don't think the Big 12 will be any better next season. May not be worse, but I don't see a lot of changes. Obviously some will depend on potential early departures.

I don't see any team really making a giant leap, unless its :OU-logo:

The Big 12 is #1 in RPI this year so odds are it won't be any better next season.

I was thinking about this last night, there are several teams in the conference that will take a step back, the question is, will OU take a step up? The ingridients are there to do so, but we need to go get a JUCO post or two to contribute immediately.

Back