Odd comment on Wayman under the Meachem (DOK) story

NMSooner'80

Reaction score
" Wayman Tisdale should have gone elsewhere to play basketball. He was too good to be at Oklahoma. Now he is a legend, universally beloved in the state where he was a high school and college basketball legend. He returned to the state to die and is recognized as a beacon of decency and as a symbol courage in the face of death. Transients do not always get that privilege.
edwin, Tulsa - Feb 5, 2010 at 6:19 am "

This comment was posted below the Oklahoman's story on Robert Meachem, who ditched OU at the last minute.

As for Edwin's comments, this seems like a giant contradiction, for one thing. And there's nothing wrong with an Oklahoma prep superstar staying home.

My guess is that Edwin from Tulsa is a Jayhawk fan, or a Big East fan. Thoughts?

Someone who thought Wayman should have gone to one of the traditional 'basketball schools', I guess.

Had Wayman stayed in state and not been successful in college, not had a good career in the NBA, not had a great career in music, he might have had a point. As it his, he's just another person who posts on a newspaper website who makes no sense.

Must have been some clown Jayhawk fan. A clown, and a loser.

Edwin should have read another paper rather than the Oklahoman, he was too good to be reading that paper.

I think they meant something like with that talent he should have gone in the eyes of most people. Instead he stayed and is now a legend. i.e., He made the right choice.

I think they meant something like with that talent he should have gone in the eyes of most people. Instead he stayed and is now a legend. i.e., He made the right choice.

Yep. You other guys are reading that wrong.

This.

It took a couple of times reading it, but that is what is intended. Hard to say that he didn't make the right choice, and a good argument for basketball players, particularly the good ones, to stay in state.

Look at Eton Thomas, I barely even remeber that he grew up in Tulsa and he is an afterthought with the Thuder [but had he stayed and played at OU or oSu, he'd likely be the most "popular" player on the team].

The whole meaning of his comment would have changed with a couple of changes:

Wayman Tisdale could have gone elsewhere to play basketball. He was too good to be at Oklahoma. Now he is a legend, universally beloved in the state where he was a high school and college basketball legend. He returned to the state to die and is recognized as a beacon of decency and as a symbol courage in the face of death. Transients do not always get that privilege. I'm so glad he stayed home.
edwin, Tulsa - Feb 5, 2010 at 6:19 am

Wayman Tisdale should have gone elsewhere to play basketball. He was too good to be at Oklahoma
The sentence speaks for itself. I don't need an English lesson.

I'm doing the "this" (whatever that is and wherever that came from) to my own post, as follows in the next post.

I took the comment as sarcastic using the word should. The intent was positive.

The sentence speaks for itself. I don't need an English lesson.

I'm doing the "this" (whatever that is and wherever that came from) to my own post, as follows in the next post.

I agree. The author of the comment should be ridiculed for the comment or being an idiot but either way he should be ridiculed.

" Wayman Tisdale should have gone elsewhere to play basketball. He was too good to be at Oklahoma. Now he is a legend, universally beloved in the state where he was a high school and college basketball legend. He returned to the state to die and is recognized as a beacon of decency and as a symbol courage in the face of death. Transients do not always get that privilege.
edwin, Tulsa - Feb 5, 2010 at 6:19 am "

This comment was posted below the Oklahoman's story on Robert Meachem, who ditched OU at the last minute.

As for Edwin's comments, this seems like a giant contradiction, for one thing. And there's nothing wrong with an Oklahoma prep superstar staying home.

My guess is that Edwin from Tulsa is a Jayhawk fan, or a Big East fan. Thoughts?

My guess he is an idiot!

Back