Oklahoma Player of the Year

Some great players on the list. I noticed in the early 60’s Rich Calmus who I believe is the father of Rocky

I sometimes forget Ebi Ere grew up in Tulsa. I always remember him as a JUCO.

Question. For those who have used up their eligibility, is there any player on that list that we didn’t get who: 1) may have helped us win a Natty or get to the Final Four, and 2) was someone we had a somewhat realistic chance of landing? For example, we may have won a Natty with Mark Price, but I don’t believe he seriously considered OU. Did we have a shot with Shake Milton? Imagine him on the 2016 team.

Question. For those who have used up their eligibility, is there any player on that list that we didn’t get who: 1) may have helped us win a Natty or get to the Final Four, and 2) was someone we had a somewhat realistic chance of landing? For example, we may have won a Natty with Mark Price, but I don’t believe he seriously considered OU. Did we have a shot with Shake Milton? Imagine him on the 2016 team.

If I remember correctly, we came very close to getting Shake.

Some great players on the list. I noticed in the early 60’s Rich Calmus who I believe is the father of Rocky

From my alma mater. Athletic family for sure.

I sometimes forget Ebi Ere grew up in Tulsa. I always remember him as a JUCO.

Those McClain teams around that time were sick. A lot of really good basketball played in Tulsa in the early 90's. BTW was always tough. James Hall, from Tulsa Rogers, is one of the best HS players I've ever seen. Committed to OU, didn't make the grades and went JUCO, then had legal issues. That kid was mad talented.

I think we had a shot at Azubuike in the same class as Bookout, but I guess Bookout and I think Deangelo Alexander didn't care for Azubuike, so OU backed off. He'd have been a nice player, and certainly would have elevated the talent on some already talented OU teams.

Not sure about NC chances, but having Hump stick around instead of transferring would have been nice. Too bad some folks convinced him he could be Scottie Pippen. lol

I don’t think we backed off Keelena Az. He was the best player that year by far.

Mark Price would have made those Tisdale teams fantastic. Apparently Denny was still unhappy OU hadn’t hired him so we didn’t have a chance for Mark. Funny that Brent later transferred to OU.

The word around school in 2002 was that Kevin Bookout wanted no part of playing alongside Azubuike. De'Angelo may have been against it too, but that was a long time ago. Quite a crop of HS talent in the spring of '02 (Shelden Williams, too. Shashevski made an in-home visit to MWC).

I always heard Denny Price was ticked that he didn't get the job. That's why Mark went to GT and Brent matriculated at South Carolina. I doubt Brent would've played much as a freshman in 1988....but he would've helped a ton in '89 and '90. He was great. He had a hell of a year in '92. Lots of people forget how good that team was.

The word around school in 2002 was that Kevin Bookout wanted no part of playing alongside Azubuike. De'Angelo may have been against it too, but that was a long time ago. Quite a crop of HS talent in the spring of '02 (Shelden Williams, too. Shashevski made an in-home visit to MWC).

yep OU risked losing Bookout and Alexander

also from that year was Marques Hayden (ksu)

OSU got none of them

The word around school in 2002 was that Kevin Bookout wanted no part of playing alongside Azubuike. De'Angelo may have been against it too, but that was a long time ago.

That is what I recall as well. Neither wanted anything to do with him.

Quite a crop of HS talent in the spring of '02 (Shelden Williams, too. Shashevski made an in-home visit to MWC).

He had a pretty talented teammate by the name of Matt Kemp as well.

yep OU risked losing Bookout and Alexander

also from that year was Marques Hayden (ksu)

OSU got none of them

True, OSU got none of all those great in-state high school players in 2002 - but could you imagine how good their 2004 team would have been if they did? That was a great starting 5, but were a couple of bench players short of winning it all.

In fairness to Denny Price, after Brent transferred to OU, he said (I'm paraphrasing) "I hope that finally puts to rest any notion I discouraged either of my sons from attending OU". I will mildly disagree with Sooner04, though. As great as that 1988 team was, Billy did not trust the bench very much. Tyrone Jones was a solid starter in 1989, and he barely got off the bench in '88. Terrance Mullins was the 6th man (and the only sub to play in THAT game), and I believe Brent Price would have been an upgrade.

I text with a great source. Bookout liked Azubuike and would have played with him. Kelvin decided to take Alexander over Azubuike. He thought we had enough wings with Ebi and Detrick already on campus.

I text with a great source. Bookout liked Azubuike and would have played with him. Kelvin decided to take Alexander over Azubuike. He thought we had enough wings with Ebi and Detrick already on campus.

Best Oklahoma high school class with those 3 & Sheldon Williams.

Best Oklahoma high school class with those 3 & Sheldon Williams.

Maybe second-best :).

It's kind of difficult to top a class which had Wayman Tisdale, Mark Price, Steve Hale and Anthony Bowie.

Interesting...did not know that. We can't live in hindsight, but I don't think Kelvin would have made those same moves if he thought Ebi was going to go into a two-month slump. We really could have used either Jason or Azubuike on that 2003 team. I at least got to see Ebi in person come out of his funk for one game against Butler in the Sweet 16...that's how he played in November and December as well...not sure what happened after that.

Maybe second-best :).

It's kind of difficult to top a class which had Wayman Tisdale, Mark Price, Steve Hale and Anthony Bowie.

Forgot about Bowie in that class. You’re probably right.

Shake going to SMU is still puzzling. No doubt Larry Brown got dirty there. I've been watching Shake in the NBA bubble with the Sixers.

Back