Thanks For the Support Guys!!

jmizzy4ou

Reaction score
Just wanted to share a quick story with you guys. As many of you know, I started posting on Sooner-related boards in 2004, a few weeks after my 17 yr old son was murdered. A coworker introduced me to message boards as an outlet, as my world was torn apart after my son's death.

Over the years I joined all of the old boards and moved when we all moved. OUHOOPS is the only steady message board I never left. I haven't posted much in the last 10-12 years, but I check in daily. I have no accounts on any other boards by personal choice. In 2007 I became a single dad and finished raising my amazing daughter alone. She is now 25 yrs. old and graduated college a year ago as a forensic chemist.

Over the years I used my degrees to work for the State as a Child abuse/neglect/sexual abuse investigator. After leaving there I went into adult mental health, which made me miss the kids severely. I went back to school, received my graduate degree in social work, and became a therapist. I currently work and have worked with kids and families in a behavioral health setting.

My father passed away in 1996. At the time of his death, he was working on his personal memoirs. My dad was an elite basketball player but unfortunately played when things in our state were very segregated. He did play at two local colleges while obtaining his degree, and always will be remembered as the first black man to play hoops at NOC JC in Tonkawa, OK.

My sister asked me to take his manuscript and try to finish his book. Unfortunately, that manuscript was lost in a house fire. Around 2001, I started recording memories and thoughts from my life, because I hoped to someday share them with my grandkids.

Writing has always been a passion of mine, so in 2020 I decided to take pages upon pages of my personal manuscript and make a book. In 2021 my book was accepted for publishing.

It hit all of the platforms via ebook first, then in early 2022 I received my first shipment of paperback author copies. It was a day of celebration!! Some of my family was taking me out to dinner after work, and right as I was leaving the house, I received a secure message from my ENT doctor at the OKC VA Hospital. I didn't think much of it, because I had numerous tests done previously to rule out any type of tumors in my ear canal.

In the 80s a grenade simulator was detonated inadvertently near my prone position, during a training exercise at Ft. Sill, OK. Ever since the accident, I have had hearing loss and ringing in one ear. The tests were just routine, as I've fought for compensation for decades, and they needed to rule out other causes of the continued hearing loss.

I quickly opened the secure message and it said No tumors found, ear canal intact, but we found a mass on your brain. Nothing else.

I tried calling my Dr and anyone else I thought could help me, but everyone was gone for the weekend. One of the happiest days of my recent existence turned pretty dark. Over the next 11 months, I tried my best to maintain a normal life while preparing for surgery. I personally believe GOD took extra care of my mental state, and I rarely dealt with fear or worry. It was determined surgery had to happen quickly in order to save my eyesight.

I had the surgery exactly one week ago today. Everything went great, and I was supposed to be in ICU for about 4-6 days. They released me to home in just over 24hrs. :) The Neurosurgery Team and ENT Team at OU Medical have been amazing!! They kept asking how the heck I was out of bed so soon, and I told them I needed to get back to work...lol.

My prognosis is very good!! The entire tumor was destroyed, and it appears to be non-cancerous. I'm slowly regaining my strength, and hopefully will be fully cleared in a month or so.

I just wanted to share with you guys, because this will always be my Sooner Hoops Family. I appreciate everything Boulder does to keep it running, and Ada is a personal friend of mine who I love and respect. I had some heated debates, years ago with one poster here in particular, over racial and social issues. I just want him(he knows who it is), and everyone else to know I hold no ill will towards anyone here or any of the other people I met over the years on various boards and in person. It's been a rough season, but as my life has dictated to me, I'm still not ever giving up, until it's over!! I love you guys, and I pray GOD continues to bless everyone here. #BoomerSooner

You are an inspiration, Sir! Keep on trucking!

Powerful stuff. Glad you're on the other side of the surgery and doing better!

Tell me more about your dad. If you don't mind of course. Sucks that he didn't get to hoop for a bigger/better school. Guard? Wing? How tall was he? Shooter? Dunker? Not trying to be intrusive, just find it interesting.

That's great news....I am glad you are doing well. You know Sooner nation has you in their continued prayers.

An amazing story, jmiz, and so glad things are trending in a positive direction! Congrats on the book--I've experienced that particular thrill and I can't imagine getting such difficult news on the big day. I admire you for handling it so well and I agree that you've surely had some key support from up above.

Wow! I'm glad you shared that, it was inspiring and powerful. Wishing you nothing but the best!

I'm so glad you are doing well and that your surgery was successful! Don't be a stranger!

Wow! What an amazing and inspirational story. You’ve had to endure so much throughout your life, more than one person should have to. They say God doesn’t give us more than we can handle, so he must have a very high opinion of you!

I pray for a speedy recover. If you’re able, I’d like to know where I can buy your book. I’d love to read it.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Amazing. Wild how this board brings folks together no matter what. You’ll be in my prayers.

Great to hear, also glad to see these places can be sources of community.

Dang.. jmizz you are unstoppable.. You're a stronger man than I

Thank you for sharing jmizz. Praying for continued recovery and complete healing.

Great post Jmizzy… glad to hear you are doing well. Random question, were you also previously active on Thudnerfans.net?

JMizzy, you have been a great friend and an inspiration to me for a very long time! I’m sorry to say I didn’t know about your recent health issues. But God did, and I’m not at all surprised that He took care of you.

One of the things I miss now that I am not on this board much anymore is losing contact with you and the friends I have made over the years. It truly is a special place!

Congrats on the book! I can’t wait to read it! I don’t post much now, but I log in and scan read every day or two. You can reach me via a DM on the board. I also think you have my email address. If not, let me know and I’ll see that you get it!

All of my best to you and your family!

Ada

Love your story and I am praying for you!

Wish we had a way to share more about our personal lives, where we live where we are from, etc.....be fun to know how many of us know each other or have friends in common.

I can remember when we had a board with an audio option, we could talk to each other - back in the late 90s, when I was living in KC. Lots of fun. I enjoy the board and the conversations we have.

Thanks for being a part of my enjoyment Mizzy.

What an amazing post! Hope all is well with you going forward.

Back