One GM's take on Willie Warren

Smash Williams

Reaction score
In this instance I wish we modeled our journalism after china....neither seen nor heard (arrested development fwiw)

I know we all love WW here but c'mon, did he really have that great of a year? Some very nice games, absolutely. Also some "where did he go?" games. I'm not a NCAA hoops expert but I'm sure there were other young guys who had a similar year. Did he stand out that much? His stock seems based so much on athleticism and, of course, that counts for a lot - some stuff you can't teach. But most of us can see that it would do WW a world of good to hone his game in college for another year and surely NBA powers that be can see that. I'm not surprised he's getting some attention, just surprised that "industry" people are talking him up so much.

Kids who aren't quite ready leave for the pros all the time. I just hope Willie isn't one. I wasn't that concerned about it up until a few days ago and reason still tells me he stays but I wonder what kind of advice he's getting.

I know we all love WW here but c'mon, did he really have that great of a year? Some very nice games, absolutely. Also some "where did he go?" games. I'm not a NCAA hoops expert but I'm sure there were other young guys who had a similar year. Did he stand out that much? His stock seems based so much on athleticism and, of course, that counts for a lot - some stuff you can't teach. But most of us can see that it would do WW a world of good to hone his game in college for another year and surely NBA powers that be can see that. I'm not surprised he's getting some attention, just surprised that "industry" people are talking him up so much.

Kids who aren't quite ready leave for the pros all the time. I just hope Willie isn't one. I wasn't that concerned about it up until a few days ago and reason still tells me he stays but I wonder what kind of advice he's getting.

look at his numbers .. he did have that great of a year .. he was just a tiny bit behind evens for frosh of the year in college basketball ... you should not be suprised at all that he would be a top 10 pick if he comes out

I'm confident Coach Capel will make sure Willie has every available piece of information out there at his disposal when they meet this weekend, and I doubt if these draft projections fans get excited about will play much of a role in the decision. The people close to WW will contact NBA and draft experts they can trust, not some guy who writes an article for a sports television network that has been wrong about a lot of things over the years.

Capel's dad is a scout for the Hornets, so it stands to reason Mr. Capel and his contacts will be among the trusted sources. Willie's mother is not your typical mom who doesn't know much about basketball, so I've got to believe she will be an important part of any decision he makes. She also knows the game well enough to realize her son has some work to do before he's ready for the next level. Being a high draft pick is one thing. But Willie is not the type who would be happy as a top ten to fifteen pick, if he has to spend the first season or two coming off the bench while he's learning to be a point guard, which will almost certainly be the position he'll play in the NBA. That's especially true if he's closer to 6' 2", as some have suggested, than the well publicized 6' 3" to 6' 4" we've seen in every report and news article written in the last couple of years.

When you combine those facts with what Willie and Coach Capel have been saying for sometime, all signs point to a return next year.

The thing that concerns me the most about Willie is he may be thinking that college ball is holding him back and going to the NBA would allow to develop at a faster rate. He knows he would have more space on the court to create, more offensive opportunities, more time to work with top guys to help him work on his game, all while getting paid to do so. He certainly doesn't suffer from a lack of confidence and I think he could be licking his chops to go up against some of those guys in the league to show them he has game too.

That said, I sure hope he comes back for one more year.

Everyone in the league keeps talking about him as a PG, he needs another year in college to play it around 40% of the time. If he does that well, he may be up there with John Wall in next year's draft.

The thing that concerns me the most about Willie is he may be thinking that college ball is holding him back and going to the NBA would allow to develop at a faster rate. He knows he would have more space on the court to create, more offensive opportunities, more time to work with top guys to help him work on his game, all while getting paid to do so. He certainly doesn't suffer from a lack of confidence and I think he could be licking his chops to go up against some of those guys in the league to show them he has game too.

That said, I sure hope he comes back for one more year.

You could say that with about 50 other guys in the college game this year. Should they all go pro?

Some will and some won't. I really don't care about 49 of them, only one.

Well you have given him a glowing endorsement for going pro. What makes you think he will stay (he is staying btw)?

Well you have given him a glowing endorsement for going pro. What makes you think he will stay (he is staying btw)?

I don't know what he's going to do. Last I heard Capel is helping him get more information about the NBA and his draft status/predictions. All I can do is hope he comes back.

I don't know what he's going to do. Last I heard Capel is helping him get more information about the NBA and his draft status/predictions. All I can do is hope he comes back.

I am glad that you are hoping that he is coming back.

I'm confident Coach Capel will make sure Willie has every available piece of information out there at his disposal when they meet this weekend, and I doubt if these draft projections fans get excited about will play much of a role in the decision. The people close to WW will contact NBA and draft experts they can trust, not some guy who writes an article for a sports television network that has been wrong about a lot of things over the years.

Capel's dad is a scout for the Hornets, so it stands to reason Mr. Capel and his contacts will be among the trusted sources. Willie's mother is not your typical mom who doesn't know much about basketball, so I've got to believe she will be an important part of any decision he makes. She also knows the game well enough to realize her son has some work to do before he's ready for the next level. Being a high draft pick is one thing. But Willie is not the type who would be happy as a top ten to fifteen pick, if he has to spend the first season or two coming off the bench while he's learning to be a point guard, which will almost certainly be the position he'll play in the NBA. That's especially true if he's closer to 6' 2", as some have suggested, than the well publicized 6' 3" to 6' 4" we've seen in every report and news article written in the last couple of years.

When you combine those facts with what Willie and Coach Capel have been saying for sometime, all signs point to a return next year.

his dad is not a scout fyi .. he is an ast coach for the bobcats also .. remember the ben gordon example .. he is 6'1-'62 and he is a 2 .. WW has long arms and is a combo guard

Back