Orlando Allen

boomer0187

Reaction score
Is he in the dog house? Or is he a bust? We could use him this year for rebounds and such.

Tough to call him a "bust". Wasn't he a project to begin with? It's not like we expected him to start or something...

Tough to call him a "bust". Wasn't he a project to begin with? It's not like we expected him to start or something...

I expected him to be able to contribute, which he obviously isn't. No reason he shouldn't be a servicable big man. I've heard he is lazy, and doesn't work hard. That is too bad.

Well if he's not getting on the floor in these first two games he sure as heck isn't when we step up in competition.

We need his size. What do you guys think of Wright. He seems to disappear during the game.

Just as I and others said when we got him we never should have recruited him. I know juco coaches who thought it was humorous he signed with OU. He was a major project at best. He is a big body with very little ability and that is it. He should have signed with a low major. I don't expect much of anything out of him except some fouls and scrub points.

I heard he grow up as a boxer.... Perhaps he should get into shape and get back in the ring.

I was one the big guys who got in trouble for saying he could never play at OU. It is too bad because the kid from all reports is a great kid.

He just isn't good enough to play for OU. I didn't see the same things last year that others did in thinking he could play this year either.

As I posted elsewhere hopefully he remains that positive teamate on the bench. The team will need him in that role many times this year.

Wow...he's already a bust (Orlando Allen)? Wow, a guy can't come off the bench for defense and be a plus for a team (Ryan Wright). A little harsh aren't you?

I've been a hoops fan for a long time and I've NEVER seen a team (well maybe one or two in 25 years) whom EVERY player on the team was money.

IMO Willie Warren is inconsistent. Steven Pledger is at least AS good as advertised and Tiny Gallon is a potential rebounding machine.

Actually there were many on this board that claimed all summer that Orlando Allen would be our starting center and had passed up Ryan Wright.

There were also a few that thought Ray Willis might start.

I thought Orlondo had passed Ryan Wright. He was getting the minutes late last season

One, there is a lot of ways to contribute to a team. Being a presence in practice is one major way. Orlando gives us another big body to bang against.

Two, the first game of the year Gallon and Fitz played great. You aren't going to sub for them. The second game the other team went small and we put Tony in as the 4.

Three, people forget how highly touted Wright was out of high school and that he actually started a few games on a Final Four team. So for Allen, he has Wright ahead of him and two stud freshmen. Most teams only play a three big man rotation. Add in that we might play a lot of four guard lineups with the strength of our guards. The minutes available are few.

It is way to early to speculate what kind of minutes he is going to get. Is he a bust. I would say no because of his other contributions. Do I think he will be a servicable big man, probably. Hell, we had to play Beau against Kansas Blake's freshman year. I would rather see Orlando in the game over Beau.

Wow...he's already a bust (Orlando Allen)? Wow, a guy can't come off the bench for defense and be a plus for a team (Ryan Wright). A little harsh aren't you?

I've been a hoops fan for a long time and I've NEVER seen a team (well maybe one or two in 25 years) whom EVERY player on the team was money.

IMO Willie Warren is inconsistent. Steven Pledger is at least AS good as advertised and Tiny Gallon is a potential rebounding machine.

You think Willie is inconsistent? I think you're wrong.

Allen is THE team leader. He is a great young man. In my opinion, coach Capel has recognized that. In the NBA, there are games where certain players are told ahead of time that they're not going to log minutes. If Fitzgerald was a bad matchup for USM, then Allen is twice as bad. There will be games where Allen's number will be called. He'll log minutes against aldrich, Pittman, maybe Pilgrim, Washington, and the russian kid from Arizona. He's got to perform when it is. He's a better player than last year, but he's about in the same condition. That aint good.

I expected him to be able to contribute, which he obviously isn't. No reason he shouldn't be a servicable big man. I've heard he is lazy, and doesn't work hard. That is too bad.

There may be no good reason why he cant be serviceable, but if you look at his history he has never done that at a competetive level...he did nothing in Juco his freshman year and was hurt his sophomore year when he was supposed to break out there...(i think i remember that correctly)

I want him to be a guy that can play because of his size, but i just dont think it was ever realistically in the cards...maybe next year he can find a way to fit in and earn some minutes, but i dont see it this year unless we get in foul trouble or we get an injury bug...

I personally like our 3 man rotation with the BIGS and also throwing a lineup with Crocker at the 4 on the court at times...

Back