OSU uptempo myth

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
has OSU been uptempo this year? I notice their scoring is down. Last year, it seemed that they got alot more conservative down the stretch and weren't uptempo. Is there a philosophy change?

As slow as they play, OU plays even slower.

Adjusted for opponents, OSU ranks 208th in pace, OU ranks 262.

Pretty different then what I was told would happen all offseason. And that is with two McD's AA's with pg skills running the 1 and 2, and no real inside game to speak of.

Pretty different then what I was told would happen all offseason. And that is with two McD's AA's with pg skills running the 1 and 2, and no real inside game to speak of.

Well, when we were running we tried to outscore teams and stopped playing defense. We played faster earlier in the season (heck, against MSM we had our most possessions in the Capel era). Then we started losing. We reigned in the young-guns by slowing things down, preaching movement on offense and locking down on defense. Since Alaska, we haven't lost and have looked a lot better regardless of the competition.

I prefer faster-paced basketball because it's more fun to watch, but I'll take winning any day of the week.

What's your definition of "playing slow"?

OSU is probably playing slower because Eaton isnt there to push the ball.

This is kinda what I'm trying to get into. Their is a difference in "playing slow", and being conservative with possessions. OSU last year took alot of early shots at the begining of the season. In turn they had poor shot selection. I'm wondering if he's changed what was his early philosophy to taking alot of early threes. Also, I believe they were punished early last year for being a quick shooting team. They were poor defensively and if your shot isn't falling, you're having empty possesssions and giving up scoring opportunities. Seems that their approach changed in that Nebraska game a year ago. Seems like we took the same path in the Arkansas game.

Okay dude we get it already. Our "McDonalds All Americans" are overrated. Gotcha.

Back