OU Basketball - 1928

I did not know hats were part of the dress code in those days.

In 1928? Absolutely they were. The popularity of hats began a slow decline, largely among younger people, in the 1930s, and after World War II, even more men started going hatless. Some say President Kennedy preferring not to wear hats was the nail in the coffin, but the beginning of the decline in hat-wearing predated him by three decades.

In 1928? Absolutely they were. The popularity of hats began a slow decline, largely among younger people, in the 1930s, and after World War II, even more men started going hatless. Some say President Kennedy preferring not to wear hats was the nail in the coffin, but the beginning of the decline in hat-wearing predated him by three decades.

My Granddad always wore a hat. My Dad, born in 1921, seldom wore one,.

My Granddad always wore a hat. My Dad, born in 1921, seldom wore one,.

I have a couple of pictures of my dad, born in 1929, in a hat, both taken in the late '50s/early '60s (with the narrow brim that was popular at the time), but those are by far the exception.

There are hundreds of pictures of him without a hat and I don't recall ever seeing him in one (except for the floppy cloth bucket hat he wore when working in the yard).

I, on the other hand, rarely leave home without a hat.

Back