OU-Kansas State Stats/Notes/Quotes/Photos

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Stats: http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2012-2013/20130119_kstate.html

Photos: http://www.soonersports.com/view.gal?id=133282

Quotes: http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/011913aab.html

Head Coach Lon Kruger ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Opening Statement:

"It was a tough ball game. I thought we got off to a good start, and Kansas State made a nice run there. They made some three's late in the first half to play well. We tried to battle to get back into the second half, but we could not quite do that. We did not take very good care of the ball, and that is entirely because the Kansas State defense was outstanding. They did a terrific job and dictated. We have not had that much trouble holding the ball on the season and you have to credit Kansas State for that. I like their team. They are big and tough. They played great and unselfishly. I think our guys came in here and expected good things, and they came out realizing that we have to do things better to play at that level. So, we will do that. We will go back home, get to work and see if we cannot get better."

On K-State's shooting from behind the arc:
"It looked like that. It was not intentional by any means because they are good players. They are good shooters. (Shane) Southwell really adds something to them. His ability to step out and make three's. Of course, (Rodney) McGruder is a terrific player, and (Will) Spradling is a good shooter. So those three guys plus (Angel) Rodriguez who adds a few. They have good guys. We were concerned about a lot of things with them, but their ability to make three's has been a little streaky maybe on the year, but still very capable. So, it was not our intent to encourage them to shoot three's."

On Rodney McGruder:
"He works so hard, and it is hard to stay in touch with him the entire time. I thought our guys worked at it, but he got a little separation there a couple of times. It seemed like there was 3 or 5 possessions when he had a three. I do not know if it was that fast, but it seemed like it. He works. He got some separation and made us pay for it."

On K-State's shooting:
"Any club is a lot better when guys are making shots. Kansas State is very good, and when they shoot the ball like that, they are even better. They have good players that are capable of doing that. So, it is not a surprise."

On K-State's efficiency:
"They played better than we did, and that is the way it works. I thought they ran their stuff more efficiently than we did. Again, their defense was a big factor in us not executing as well as we wanted to on the half court. They made three's, and we did not for the most part. So, when you play a top-ranked team in the country you need to play better than we did to win, and we did not play at that level."

Senior F Romero Osby ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

On K-State's defense:

"Like coach said, they were doing a good job of really making us extend our offense. They were pressuring us. They were doing a good job of not really fouling. That is what we did try to be physical, but they kept their hands back. When we did get to the free throw line, especially myself, I am a better free throw shooter than I showed tonight. I did not shoot them well. They just did a good job all around."

On his shooting:
K-State did a good job in the first half of really helping on our pick-and-pops. I never really had a chance to attack the big guy, and they just did an all around good job defensively. You have to give a lot of credit to them. They made it tough on me, and I got into foul trouble a little bit. The odds were against me a little bit tonight, but it is not about me it is about my team. When I am not scoring, we have other people stepping up, which is great. It was tough."

Head Coach Bruce Weber ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Opening Statement:

"It was a good hard-fought win in conference play against a very, very good team. Lon (Kruger) has done a really nice job. He has tweaked some things and changed his lineup and they are hard to defend. In the first 10 minutes, they definitely outplayed us. We jumped on Rod's (McGruder) back. I think he made three three-pointers in a row. Then Shane (Southwell) hit one and really got the crowd into it and our defense really picked it up. We talked about getting scramble rebounds before the game. We knew they were going to come because Oklahoma really spreads you out and they know how to rotate and you have to get out on their bigs but we did not do a very good job of that today. We wished we could have had a halftime session to learn how to guard that out of bounds play because we did not do a very good job against that. We can work on that the next time that we play them. Rod was big in the first half, Will (Spradling) in the second half and Angel (Rodriguez) was down the stretch. Shane was consistent throughout the whole game. We just had really good balance. We had a lot of positives. It was a good win against a quality team."

Notes: http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/011913aaa.html

Oklahoma Team Notes
Oklahoma's 69-60 loss at Kansas State was its first in four Big 12 games this season and snapped the Sooners' five-game winning streak. OU dropped to 12-4 overall while the Wildcats improved to 15-2 overall and 4-0 in conference play. K-State is 10-0 at Bramlage Coliseum this season.

Kansas State entered the game as the Big 12's best rebounding team with a per-game margin of +8.1, but the Sooners posted a 39-25 victory on the glass. It was the seventh straight game OU outboarded its opponent.

OU also outshot the Wildcats .472 to .440 and made three more field goals (25 to 22). However, the Sooners were outscored by 21 points from 3-point range. K-State was 10-for-24 from long distance while OU was 3-for-11.

The Sooners had shot at least .714 from the free throw line in each of the last nine games, but went just 7-for-15 (.467) at the stripe today. OU shot .845 from the foul line during its five-game winning streak.

OU entered the game averaging 10.7 turnovers in its first three Big 12 games, but had 11 in the first half and 16 for the game (its most in eight outings). K-State posted a 26-6 advantage in points off turnovers.

OU dropped to 6-3 in games away from home this season and to 3-2 in true road contests.

Oklahoma head coach Lon Kruger fell to 4-3 in games against his alma mater.

The Sooners play at home Monday against Texas at 8:30 p.m. CT in an ESPN Big Monday matchup.

Oklahoma Individual Notes
Senior F Romero Osby and Junior F Amath M'Baye
Forwards Osby and M'Baye led OU with 12 points apiece, each going 5-for-9 from the field. Osby also pulled down eight rebounds in his 23 minutes. He was 2-for-6 at the free throw line today after seeing his streak of 36 straight makes end last Saturday.

Senior G Steven Pledger
Pledger ran his streak of double-digit scoring games to nine with his 10-point effort. He was 3-for-6 from the field and 2-for-4 from long range. His six field goal attempts were his fewest in seven games.

Freshman G Buddy Hield
Hield contributed eight points, a game-high 10 rebounds (eight defensive) and three assists.

Back