OU-Nebraska Postgame Quotes

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Source

Oklahoma Head Coach Jeff Capel
On the game

“It was like two years ago. It was déjà vu all over again. We could never get into a rhythm offensively. I thought early in the first half we had some great looks. On our first play we executed and got what we wanted, but we didn’t finish. That kind of set the tone for the rest of the half.”

On Nebraska’s defense
“Credit their defense. They’re always one of the better defensive teams in the league. Doc (Sadler) does such a great job getting his guys to play hard and teaches defense the right way. Those kids are tough. We told our guys that they always play very, very hard. In my opinion, this was the most dangerous team in the league right now because of how hungry they were going to be having not won a game in the league yet, and they had been close in some games. They certainly came out and played that way tonight.”

On if the travel issues carried over to the game
“No. That’s no excuse. We don’t make excuses. Travel was what it was. It was different than what we do. We got here in plenty of time. We got some rest and got a good night’s sleep back at home last night instead of having to wait to fly in and see if we could get a plane. That’s not an excuse. They just outplayed us, out toughed us. That’s something we have to do a better job with.”

On if this game was different than previous Big 12 road losses
“This time on the road was different than how we have played the previous two times. We had Texas A&M and Texas Tech, but we played with a level of toughness and a sense of urgency. I don’t mean to say we didn’t play hard. I thought we played hard and we played smart, but I don’t think we executed the way we need to execute (tonight).”

On Oklahoma’s defense
“I thought our first half defense was okay. We lost (Ryan) Anderson a couple times and he made us pay both times we lost him for 3s. Our transition defense wasn’t what it needs to be. We just didn’t make smart decisions.”

"we played with a level of toughness and a sense of urgency."

wasn't able to listen to the game but the board seems to feel otherwise, what's up?

wasn't able to listen to the game but the board seems to feel otherwise, what's up?

I took that to mean that we did that during our previous two road games....

lol, benjo I was thinking the same thing....I feel capel is in "lala" land with some of those statements....if we played with a sense of urgency in the tech and A&M game we should have won one of them....

He meant they played that way at aTm and Tech but not that way tonight.

I thought we played hard and we played smart,

We just didn’t make smart decisions.”

Can someone explain these two Capel quotes please? I'm a Capel fan, just not happy, as is most of us on here, with how we're playing.

This team just simply does not want it as much as their opponents. It is pure and simple. Willie does not want it at all. It is almost like basketball is an after thought to him. He doesn't want the ball much less shoot the ball.

This team just simply does not want it as much as their opponents. It is pure and simple. Willie does not want it at all. It is almost like basketball is an after thought to him. He doesn't want the ball much less shoot the ball.

How could you say that Willie does not want the ball at all ? Has he told you he didn't want the ball? If not, then why would you make a statement like that?.. Again, its not right to try and bad mouth these kids. If I was a player I would not want to come here with this type of negative talk about the players.. Its not called venting or being frustrated about the the games, its called being out right NASTY!

Because once again he did that thing that Kobe Bryant used to do when people said he shot too much. He'd come out and take 4 shots as if to say, "I'll show you. They can't win without me. I'm too important."

Funny thing is that we scored 89 points without him against a solid team and then scored 46 points against an 0-5 team with him. So he really made the opposite point.

lol, benjo I was thinking the same thing....I feel capel is in "lala" land with some of those statements....if we played with a sense of urgency in the tech and A&M game we should have won one of them....

I heard Coach Capel on the Nebraska/OU post game. I can't believe that he brought up and called out Tiny for the only shot he missed, Tiny was 2 for 3 shooting and the other four starters were 9 for 23 shooting!!!

He dogs out Tiny for missing one shot, and he makes excuses for Tony and Willie missing 13 shots!

Every once in a while it would be good for our coach to get a technical foul taking up for his big man on a bad offensive foul call.

I wish someone would tell coach Capel that Tiny is leading the team shooting 82/150 54.7% from the field!

Maybe if the coach knew this, he might give Tiny more than 7.1 shots per game shots.

Maybe he does not want Tiny taking more than seven shots no mater what percentage he is shooting!!

Last edited:
Maybe if the coach knew this, he might give Tiny more than 7.1 shots per game shots.

Coach is the last person to blame, IMO, for Tiny's number of shots.

That blame goes first to Tiny, and second to his teammates. Mostly to Tiny though. He doesn't hustle down the floor. Doesn't get inside. And doesn't fight for position.....NEARLY enough. If he did, he might get more shots.

Coach is the last person to blame, IMO, for Tiny's number of shots.

That blame goes first to Tiny, and second to his teammates. Mostly to Tiny though. He doesn't hustle down the floor. Doesn't get inside. And doesn't fight for position.....NEARLY enough. If he did, he might get more shots.

At 290 he will not last long if he beat the guards down court every time. I am talking about out of the the 75 times he has set a pic and rolled to the open spot this year and have his team mates look the other way and his coach not say nothing about that on the post game show. But he can call out Tiny for missing one shot!!!

Back