Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
picture4gp.png

picture5fj.png

Source

Oklahoma Head Coach Jeff Capel
Opening comment:

“Congrats to UTEP, they are a really good basketball team. Thought they would be the most talented team we played against. It came down to our inability to defend them. When you have a team come in and shoot 60 percent against you it’s tough to beat them. We have a lot of work to do.”

On the team’s defensive performance:
“We knew we had a size disadvantage with (Tony) Crocker. Early in the game our rotations were not right. We got started off on a bad foot defensively and it just kind of spiraled. We were closing out on guys we shouldn’t have been closing out on. We had Tiny (Gallon) too far from the goal. I thought we had gotten better defensively and then we didn’t play well defensively against Northern Colorado, and that carried over.

“We had been better up until Northern Colorado and we kind of reverted to how we were in Alaska. UTEP beat us. They are a really good team. I think you saw some of our immaturity rear its head the past couple of days. The guys thought we could just win by outscoring teams.”

On not playing until Dec. 31:
“I don’t know if any time off for these guys is good. I thought when we are playing well is when we have consistent practices. It will be great when we get back from Christmas and we can just get back into practices. Hopefully our focus can be on becoming a better basketball team.”

On Tiny Gallon’s play:
“Tiny played well in the second half and that was great for us. It’s amazing you have to tell a guy to be a great player. But he responded to it and that was really, really good for us.”

Oklahoma Guard Willie Warren
On the loss:

“They were very athletic, but I don’t think that’s what determined the outcome. We didn’t get down low. We’re not going to be able to win games if we can’t defend. All our games from here on out are going to be tough. We have Gonzaga, and then we have Big 12 play and that’s tough.”

On not playing until Dec. 31:
“We need practice. We don’t need a break we need practice time. Our break will be in Norman in the gym.”

On the most frustrating part of the season for him:
“Losing. We already lost four games, last year we lost six. That’s the most frustrating thing for me.”

Oklahoma Guard Tommy Mason-Griffin
On the game:

“We didn’t match their tempo from the jump. Coach told us it would be tough if we didn’t come out ready to rebound and defend.”

Re: OU-UTEP Postgame Quotes >>> SoonerSports.com

SoonerSports.com Notes

• Oklahoma had its six-game winning streak snapped in an 89-74 loss to UTEP in the All-College Classic in Oklahoma City. OU fell to 8-4 while the Miners improved to 7-2.

• The loss for Oklahoma was just its second in its last 17 All-College Classic games. The Sooners fell to 52-13 in the event.

• UTEP's .579 field goal and .625 3-point percentages were OU opponent season highs. The Miners went 10-for-16 from behind the arc (they made eight of their 12 attempts in the first half).

• With the score knotted at 20 midway through the first half, UTEP used a 27-10 run to take a 47-30 lead at intermission. OU drew as close as 10 points on two occasions in the second half.

• Willie Warren led OU with 26 points. He made three 3-pointers on 10 attempts and added four assists. Warren has scored at least 24 points in six of his 11 outings this year.

• Tommy Mason-Griffin sank a career-high four 3-pointers on nine tries and finished with a career-high 20 points (all in the second half). The freshman became the fifth Sooner (all guards) to score at least 20 points in a game this year.

• Mason-Griffin became the third different Sooner in the last four games to score at least 20 points in a half. Tony Crocker scored 29 in the first half against Centenary and Cade Davis netted 20 in the first half against Northern Colorado.

• Tony Crocker finished two rebounds shy of recording his fifth double-double in the last six games. The senior guard registered 10 points and eight boards.

• All five UTEP starters scored in double figures. Junior guard Randy Culpepper led the way with a season-high 27 points.

• Oklahoma's next game is Dec. 31 at Gonzaga at 9 p.m. CST (televised by ESPN2).

When you shoot 28% from BTA and your opponent shoots 63%, you can bet the scoreboard is not going to be your friend when the final buzzer sounds.

Back