OU's performance against ULM

afaSooner

Reaction score
Is it just me or was it obvious that Capel used the ULM game as a learning tool? It seemed to me that he let our guys play... meaning that it appeared they were sort of play ground balling it vs listening to coach. I mean he didn't take a single timeout till VERY late in the first half almost suggesting to his players "Fine, you guys got it all figured out then let's see it." Which of course all we saw was disorganized ball that wasn't very effective.

Maybe I'm wrong but this is what I believe went down in that first half and it was a WONDERFUL coaching move IMO. One way to get young guys to listen to you is to let them do it their way and fail doing so. Call me a half glass full kind of message board member all you want but I can say the same about someone judging our team and its success this year off the ULM game alone.

I find it also interesting that after St. Mary's the sentiment on the board was that we might surprise some people this year... then after the ULM game it switched to we might finish 6th or 8th in the Big12.

Maybe I'm wrong about the ULM performance but go back and watch the game again. Jeff seemed to be alright with letting the game go and his players play without much input early on. Again I think it was a strategy move on his/the teams part.

It would take most teams a while to get going against a boring, slow it down team like that. It also looks like he is still trying to figure out when to play everyone. Saturday should be interesting.

Is it just me or was it obvious that Capel used the ULM game as a learning tool? It seemed to me that he let our guys play... meaning that it appeared they were sort of play ground balling it vs listening to coach. I mean he didn't take a single timeout till VERY late in the first half almost suggesting to his players "Fine, you guys got it all figured out then let's see it." Which of course all we saw was disorganized ball that wasn't very effective.

Maybe I'm wrong but this is what I believe went down in that first half and it was a WONDERFUL coaching move IMO. One way to get young guys to listen to you is to let them do it their way and fail doing so. Call me a half glass full kind of message board member all you want but I can say the same about someone judging our team and its success this year off the ULM game alone.

I find it also interesting that after St. Mary's the sentiment on the board was that we might surprise some people this year... then after the ULM game it switched to we might finish 6th or 8th in the Big12.

Maybe I'm wrong about the ULM performance but go back and watch the game again. Jeff seemed to be alright with letting the game go and his players play without much input early on. Again I think it was a strategy move on his/the teams part.

You bring across a very good point, afa. I hadn't thought of this before, but it does make a bit of sense. I think this could be what went down. Either way, we got the win, and I'm glad for that.

I can't wait for the VCU game to see how we do on the road in a hostile environment.

I could be wrong but I don't recall him taking a timeout in the first half, which I thought was strange.

Back