OU's three top recruiting targets part of big Latenight events

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskymensbasketballblog/

This link has a blurb about Jones looking board.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/oct/17/gar/?mens_basketball

I think OU should plan an event. Now, OU is not going to have there crowd support of those schools so I think it would be pointless having it in LNC. I think they should either have it in the practice facilities or they should have it at the Huff. Mike Houck is a creative guy and I think he can create things that can get the college kids to come and that can create a fun atmosphere. If OU can generate 3000 fans in a smaller venue it can be appealing to recruits.

Totally agree Dirty. It's a great recruiting tool and a lot of fun for the fans and gets the student body ready for the season. And you are right it can be in a smaller venue. The student groups could organize getting people there. It's a huge recruiting weekend and basically now Coach Capel can't even bring recruits in because they'd be like where is the midnight madness? I mean really how can Washington have a successful Midnight Madness but OU can't? It's time to get it going. Capel has taken OU to that next level in excitement and buzz. Plus the national pub is good. I was watching ESPNU and the Washington madness had some awesome dunks....Isiah Thomas jumping over dude was sweet.
Hopefully it can get organized for next season.

Last edited:
It's definitely time to do it; the problem is if it coincides with OU/Texass on a regular basis, it will be difficult to attract a good crowd

It's definitely time to do it; the problem is if it coincides with OU/Texass on a regular basis, it will be difficult to attract a good crowd

Do it Saturday morning and have a big watch party. I guess Texas doens't do it either.

this is the first time in forever it has came on the same weekend. This is the latest the OU texas game has been in like 60 years. Normally the game is the week before practice starts.

And in all honesty, recruits aren't going to be bowled over by these events. Every picture we've seen has always had recruits on the sideline looking pedestrian. However, i think it's important that OU does establish an event that is scheduled around the first practice.

And in all honesty, recruits aren't going to be bowled over by these events. Every picture we've seen has always had recruits on the sideline looking pedestrian. However, i think it's important that OU does establish an event that is scheduled around the first practice.

Disagree. Recruits always talk about how great Late Nights are. 14 of the 17 guys on KU's roster attended Late Night. It's a great recruiting tool for schools. I think OU can get it going next year. The buzz is here now.

Disagree. Recruits always talk about how great Late Nights are. 14 of the 17 guys on KU's roster attended Late Night. It's a great recruiting tool for schools. I think OU can get it going next year. The buzz is here now.

you also have to consider how many bigtime recruits attended KU latenight and didn't commit. Remember, Henry didn't commit to KU and Latenight didn't get a guy like Brandon Rush to commit either. As a matter of fact KU and UK haven't garnered top 10 nationally recruits following latenight.

you also have to consider how many bigtime recruits attended KU latenight and didn't commit. Remember, Henry didn't commit to KU and Latenight didn't get a guy like Brandon Rush to commit either. As a matter of fact KU and UK haven't garnered top 10 nationally recruits following latenight.

So it's your take that Late Nights aren't good for recruiting?
Okay.

You guys are always telling me that recruiting is all about relationships. I can see how the kids might have fun at the Latenight events, but I don't see what they do to foster relationships.

Coach has said in the past that he doesn't like doing Late nights/midnight madness/baseline bash type events for the first day of practice, so all of this is a mute point unless he changes his mind. I hope that he will be up for trying something low-key next season because I think it would be a great way to excite the fans.

He can choose whether or not to use it for recruiting. I think he has shown that he can/will do great in recruiting without one...

Coach has said in the past that he doesn't like doing Late nights/midnight madness/baseline bash type events for the first day of practice, so all of this is a mute point unless he changes his mind. I hope that he will be up for trying something low-key next season because I think it would be a great way to excite the fans.

He can choose whether or not to use it for recruiting. I think he has shown that he can/will do great in recruiting without one...

The NCAA puts such limits on practice time before the season starts that it's easy to see why they don't want to waste any time on something that might be unproductive.

You guys are always telling me that recruiting is all about relationships. I can see how the kids might have fun at the Latenight events, but I don't see what they do to foster relationships.

Because as you said it's fun. And it's a great way to show fan support and atmosphere. It's phenomenal to see a packed house for a Late Night event.

I guess I would ask the question why do I read on this board that people want recruits to visit on football home game dates? How does that help foster a relationship? It doesn't. What it does is show how great the OU campus can be on game day. It's fun and exciting. Who wouldn't want a recruit to have fun on his visit.

I guess I would ask what would any visit to a school do to foster a relationship then?

Late Night is a great recruiting tool. I hope OU does something like it. If supported properly it's a great way to show how a University and it's student body and fans support the program.

The NCAA puts such limits on practice time before the season starts that it's easy to see why they don't want to waste any time on something that might be unproductive.

Good point, and one that may be a big reason why we stopped (on top of the fact that it was combined with the Greek awards show).

You don't honestly believe that do you?
Have you ever been to a late night? It's far from a waste of time.
It's like a 1/2 hour scrimmage. It takes a 1/2 hour away from your alloted practice time that week. The positives of exciting the crowd and fanbase as well as entertaining key recruits far out weigh the 1/2 hour of practice time.

You don't honestly believe that do you? It's like a 1/2 hour scrimmage.
It takes a 1/2 hour away from your alloted practice time that week.
The positives of exciting the crowd and fanbase as well as entertaining key recruits far out weigh the 1/2 hour of practice time.

I know that teams used to have a month of practice before their first game. They only have about 2 weeks now. I know that there was a lot of complaining about it from the coaches when they made that change. I don't know how the NCAA calculates the practice time. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if a coach felt that these events stole time away from productive practice.

Ms. didn't Capel have an event his first year at OU and it was poorly attended? If anything that is why he doesn't want to have one.
I think times are different now. I think he's generated enough excitement at OU for basketball that people would support it. It's great for the university and it's fanbase.

But it wouldn't surprise me at all if a coach felt that these events stole time away from productive practice.
I doubt Coach K, Roy Williams, Self, Calipari, etc would do it if it was hurting the teams preparation for the season.

Those events are lame though, that's the thing people need to acknowledge...they really are. The only real good part about them in terms of recruiting to to display the passion for basketball at the school.

Look, I think OU can compete at the highest level in basketball. But I just don't think there is a great deal of passion for OU basketball. I think there are a lot of people like the people on this board who are passionate, but I've been going to OU games for a long time and if we can't get good crowds for marginal nonconference games, then why would we get a good crowd for a scrimmage and dunk contest? People talk about having it at the McCasland, but is that a facility we want to feature to recruits? I guess I just don't get the desire to have the event when if we are being honest we would admit that it wouldn't be compare to some of the other school's.

Texas doesn't do one do they? They are one of the elite programs (I feel) but they don't feel the need to do it. We would we? And they are all on the same night, right? So what kids would we be in on that would merit such an event that would be at ours over a more well-established one?

I think OU basketball has a lot to offer recruits without the sideshow. Thinking about a kid like Daniel Orton, it was always off-putting to me that he was swooned by all the "show" when he would go on visits. OU has a lot to offer recruits that other programs don't, and I like the guys that have been drawn to that thus far (Like Blake and Willie). I just like the type of kid that OU appeals to. I like the way Capel is doing things and the way he is straightforward and honest with these kids. There is something "slick" about most of those events that leaves me feeling grimy. I watched Calipari last night walking out in the smoke and fireworks and I swear to God, I couldn't imagine ever thinking that was an atmosphere I would want to be a part of.

I could type for like an hour on this, and I am already all over the place so I'm gonna just abruptly wrap it up. I realize most of you won't agree with me, but I don't think OU needs a midnight event.

Elmo as always you are honest and bring up some valid points. Great post.
Maybe it wouldn't work. I do agree with you that it has to be supported heavily to be successful otherwise it can actually be deemed a failure and hurt you. I guess my point is you never know until we try again. Capel and the student groups have made great strides in generating excitement for the program. Another event like a Madness could help foster that even more.
And generate even more excitement and help develop that passion for basketball that a large part of the OU fanbase don't have completely yet. I feel it's fostering though. And granted the first year or two a madness event may not be attended greatly. But I believe developing another tradition and venue for fan excitment is another step towards developing that huge passion and fanbase for OU basketball.

I especially agree with elmo that midnight events really are generally kind of lame.

Back