OU's three top recruiting targets part of big Latenight events

So it's your take that Late Nights aren't good for recruiting?
Okay.

I think OU should plan an event. Now, OU is not going to have there crowd support of those schools so I think it would be pointless having it in LNC. I think they should either have it in the practice facilities or they should have it at the Huff. Mike Houck is a creative guy and I think he can create things that can get the college kids to come and that can create a fun atmosphere. If OU can generate 3000 fans in a smaller venue it can be appealing to recruits

And in all honesty, recruits aren't going to be bowled over by these events. Every picture we've seen has always had recruits on the sideline looking pedestrian. However, i think it's important that OU does establish an event that is scheduled around the first practice.

that's my opinion, don't misrepresent it. did you not read it the first time? However, I think the bash is more important to fans than recruits. Harrison Barnes knows KU has alot of fan support and a raucus atmosphere. He probably is going to rank his decision on something other than that. I would love to see OU get an event, but a legit event. To my understanding, the events in the past were more turn offs to recruits than appealing. An OU event isn't going to simulate a game atmosphere like other places anyway, but I do think you want to have an event not mainly for recruits, but also for the current players. If you have to do what sam said and bring in some outside crowd generator like Kings of Leon, Kelly Underwood, Chalie Boy, Drake, or even a local group, then do that. If you want to generate people like me, bring in Charlie Wilson or Luther Vandross. Ultimately, Mike Houck is going to be the guy that is the driving force behind it. He's done a great job with the social media and I think he could pull this together with the input of Capel, Sheri, and the students.

ps Chendog, I'm going to give you a little break.

Last edited:
I would love to see OU get an event, but a legit event. To my understanding, the events in the past were more turn offs to recruits than appealing. An OU event isn't going to simulate a game atmosphere like other places anyway, but I do think you want to have an event not mainly for recruits, but also for the current players.

I totally agree man. 100%. I would add that you do it for the fans as well.
But yes, you do it to generate excitement for the current season. But when done right it is a great recruiting tool. That is why there is always so much chatter this weekend of what recruits are going where for Midnight Madness at all the schools. It's not a coincidence that OU had no major recruits in this weekend. Most of them tend to go to a school with a Madness event.
I just think OU needs to start the tradition. It may take a couple years to get a great crowd and do it right. Just like anything it needs time to grow and take off with the fans. I just know it can be a great tool for recruiting, getting the fans and students excited about the season as well as the players. It's a good thing.

Harrison Barnes knows KU has alot of fan support and a raucus atmosphere. He probably is going to rank his decision on something other than that.
Harrison does because he's been to KU a lot. In fact, Harrison went to KU's late night last year. So if he didn't have a good time or think it was fun I doubt he'd go back again. Cole Aldrich went to 3 or 4.
Guys like Lamb & Selby have never experienced it or seen the fan support atmosphere so it's very important. It's huge. There is a difference between "knowing" a school has great support and seeing it first hand.

If you have to do what sam said and bring in some outside crowd generator like Kings of Leon, Kelly Underwood, Chalie Boy, Drake, or even a local group, then do that. If you want to generate people like me, bring in Charlie Wilson or Luther Vandross.
I think this is a very good idea. Also, bring back Blake if he can make it. Bring back Mookie, King, Hollis, whoever you can. Make it a huge event.
Have Blake, Stoops, Paris twins, Toby Keith, etc judge the dunk contest. Have Keith sing a few songs. Have Blake sign autographs. How and why would people not come. That would be awesome.

ps Chendog, I'm going to give you a little break.
Ahh, shucks man I was liking your obsession. It was great to see my name in every post you made.

Back