Past Recruits......

boomer0187

Reaction score
I just went back to Capel recruits:

Keith Clark- believe he had grade problems.
Tony Crocker-Kelvin's recruit, solid but inconsistant. IMO
Beau Gerber- Total bust.
Bobby Maze- From what I heard he was a head case transferred to Tenn.

Andre Clark- I dont remember this guy.
Cade Davis- Solid but wish he could take someone off the dribble.
Blake Griffin- Hands down best recuit we had since Wayman Tisdale.
Omar Leary- Had a good senior year thats all I can say.
Tony Naysmith- Transferred for whatever reason.
Ryan Wright- Ucla transferre bust just not athletic enough.

Willie Warren- Came in with a lot of hype hasnt lived up to it imo needs another year.
Ray Willis- No disrespect I would not have offered this kid a scholly.
Orlando Allen- I just scratch my head on this kid but I blame the staff.
Kyle Cannon- Another head case and grade issues is what I heard.
Juan Patillo- Would have really helped this team this year what a shame it didnt work out.

Keith Gallon- Needs to grow up fast, didnt like what I heard today about a agent before he arrived at OU. Hope it works out for him alot of potential.
TMG- Best point since Mookie Blaylock love his game, only bright spot this year.
Andrew Fitzgerald- Needs to lose some weight imo, could be a solid role player.
Steven Pledger- Again could be a solid role player, hope him and Fitzgerald learned a lesson about the sticky fingers, if not see ya.
Kyle Harddrick- I blame the staff again.

There is no reason why we shouldnt be a top 25 program year in and year out, I know Coach Capel is young himself and is really trying and I wish him the best of luck but he has got to do a better job of evaluating talent athletically and mentally.

I quit reading when Beau Gerber (a walk-on) was labeled a "total bust"

Tired of reading how Wright is a "bust". Don't recall having all-world expectations for him when he transferred in, but I believe OU is getting the most out of his talent. I think in conference play he's started to "get it" as far as offensively. Turn and go up strong...don't put the ball on the deck..etc.. He never was expected to be a 20/night guy, just a decent role guy.

Keep in mind there is a serious lack of skilled big men in college and Blake probably ruined the next few big men who roll in here. Pretty much the elites grap the top 10/15, then after that its almost a guessing game.

Last edited:
We never got Andre Clark, Beau Gerber was a walk-on

Calling Beau Gerber a "total bust" leaves you with absolutely ZERO credibility.

:ed

Not being athletic is the last thing I would accuse Ryan Wright of.

We never got Andre Clark, Beau Gerber was a walk-on

Clark is a guy that if we wanted, I'd bet we could still get. I remember seeing film from him out of High School and I loved his athleticism. I could see him coming in blocking shots and rebounding.

BTW I find it absurd that people use "inconsistent" as a criticism for college basketball players. It is a ridiculously hard game played by young men who have opposing scholarship players attempting to stop them from succeeding. Hardly anyone is consistently excellent at it.

Here is a list of the "consistent" players in the Jeff Capel era:

Blake Griffin
Beau Gerber

Last edited:
Hardrick faced with easy decision
Matt Hensley
SoonerScoop.com Staff Writer

Commitments can never come too early in the world of recruiting. Especially when the verbal is from a player as talented as Lawton (Okla.) Eisenhower star Kyle Hardrick.

Oklahoma head coach Jeff Capel continued his memorable month of May where he had already collected the commitments of two 2007 Oklahoma recruits. He can now add a 2009 recruit to the list of local commitments.

"I verbally committed to Oklahoma," Hardrick said. "At the beginning of the AAU season I took an unofficial visit and (head coach Jeff Capel) said he'd like me to come play for him. I've been wanting to play there since I was little so I wanted to go ahead and get it over with."

While Hardrick grew up an Oklahoma fan there were other factors involved in convincing him to get the recruiting process over with before it even got off the ground for him.

"I like the atmosphere and everything around it," he said of the University of Oklahoma. "I know Cade Davis, Taylor Griffin, Blake Griffin, Keith Clark and all those guys and we all get along real well. The guys I know, I like and they like me and that's a good situation for me to be a part of."

The familiarity of Oklahoma was not the only thing drawing him towards Norman. His only opportunity to get to know coach Capel was on an unofficial visit he took earlier this month to Norman, but things hit off well between the two.

"When I went down there we didn't talk about playing for OU much," he said. "He talked about the education I'd get and said he'd love to have me be a part of it, but mainly we talked about the NBA Playoffs and just basketball stuff. He was a real easy guy to talk to and I like him a lot. I can't wait to get to know him some more."

As he is only finishing up his freshman season at Lawton Eisenhower Hardrick has plenty more time to develop his friendship with coach Capel. For now, he has his sights set on AAU nationals and the opportunity he has with Athlete's First.

"I've been up there practicing all weekend," he said. "I'm with the older team now and it's been a big help for me to get to play with and against these guys. I really think we could win the tournament this weekend in Nashville."

The Athlete's First starting five this weekend for the Memorial Day Classic in Nashville will be Cade Davis, Xavier Henry, Xavier Alexander, Blake Griffin, and Kyle Hardrick. An opportunity in which Hardrick is excited to excel.

"I'm excited about it," he said. "I can already see myself getting better and getting stronger playing with these guys. I think we'll have a really good showing down there."

Hardrick says he expects to be at least 6-foot-11 by the time he is ready for college and is considered to be one of the top prospects in the country for 2009.

Back